onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Depth in the squad.

Playa Amodores

Advert

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

He got a better offer from county. 

Yes i know , i was more referring to a suggestion he was in the naughty brigade with Whitfield, Miller etc. Someone suggested his departure may not of been Football related.

Whilst he was no Bobby Moore i felt at CH he was adequate cover, at full back he was exposed and often hung out to dry. 

I guess once you are deemed surplus to requirements and have stepped out of line it's hard to fully re-establish yourself. No doubt he would have been on the bench anyway and not playing automatically. There might be more to it than the story indicates.

One of the problems we've had in the full back positions has been the fact that the players/wingers in front of them very often do not help out much or have any kind of physical presence. As a result our full backs can get overloaded down their side and overrun. Worrall does his best but the others are not much use at defending and lose concentration. They need to be more like Birchall and McCarthy who ran up and down the line and put in an enormous effort to help out the right back. We are vulnerable down the flanks - on both sides.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Yes i know , i was more referring to a suggestion he was in the naughty brigade with Whitfield, Miller etc. Someone suggested his departure may not of been Football related.

Whilst he was no Bobby Moore i felt at CH he was adequate cover, at full back he was exposed and often hung out to dry. 

He was offered an olive branch and was back in the squad with us. Then county came in with a better offer.

On 09/01/2020 at 11:06, Jacko51 said:

I’m led to believe that Rawlinson’s departure wasn’t just a footballing decision but that may be wrong.  I don’t think Brisley is as bad as he looked in Tuesday. 

At the risk of being controversial, I didn't think Brisley was that terrible against Salford and I think he's looked alright in the other FLT games he's played. I personally think he offers more than Rawlinson (he's appears to do a lot of talking, he played more league games etc) and overall is decent cover for Legge and Smith. I suspect others may well disagree though...

43 minutes ago, robf said:

At the risk of being controversial, I didn't think Brisley was that terrible against Salford and I think he's looked alright in the other FLT games he's played. I personally think he offers more than Rawlinson (he's appears to do a lot of talking, he played more league games etc) and overall is decent cover for Legge and Smith. I suspect others may well disagree though...

I think he looked rusty. His touch was off and he was taking too many touches at times and getting caught. But then again he hasn’t played a proper game for ages. I think in pervious games he hasn’t looked that bad to be fair to him. 

I aren't going to make blanket statements about squad depth based on Tuesday.

It was a woeful performance but other performances suggest Atkinson, Conlon, and Browne can all contribute to an adequate standard.

There is potential in Archer (needs a loan spell as the main striker in the National League, pronto), and Brisley's played 40+ games in the Championship and 300 games at this level. He looked dodgy but hasn't played in ages.

Evans looked decent in his preferred central midfield location when he played there before going down with injury.

We haven't got a playoff squad but the depth is much, much better than recent years.

Cullen is disappointing though; it seems we signed him without understanding he couldn't play that lone striker role. Was a good move to only sign him on a years deal.

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I aren't going to make blanket statements about squad depth based on Tuesday.

It was a woeful performance but other performances suggest Atkinson, Conlon, and Browne can all contribute to an adequate standard.

There is potential in Archer (needs a loan spell as the main striker in the National League, pronto), and Brisley's played 40+ games in the Championship and 300 games at this level. He looked dodgy but hasn't played in ages.

Evans looked decent in his preferred central midfield location when he played there before going down with injury.

We haven't got a playoff squad but the depth is much, much better than recent years.

Cullen is disappointing though; it seems we signed him without understanding he couldn't play that lone striker role. Was a good move to only sign him on a years deal.

All fair comments.

I’d add that when we have an off day it seems to affect most of the team, and this has also happened when the first choice 11 have had a bad day at the office.

With regards to Cullen, I thought he’d played as a lone striker for other clubs, but if so, it doesn’t appear to suit him in the role for us.  The Pope / Cullen pairing looks good on paper but I think the only time we see this is when we’re chasing the game.

Askey has just released Joe Berks and Lucas Green-Birch. Neither of whom made a first-team appearance this season and just spent time on loan at Stafford Rangers and Market Drayton Town.

This leaves the squad now at 28 professionals, including four of haven't appeared in the league: Pugh (player-coach), Maddison (back-up goalkeeper), Hurst (on loan to Bradford PA) and Trickett-Smith.

I'm a big Askey fan but its indisputable that his recruitment must be better than it was last summer.

Hopefully the new scouting team, and in my wildest dreams a slight engagement with stastical analysis to find the hidden gems, can bear some juicy fruit.

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I'm a big Askey fan but its indisputable that his recruitment must be better than it was last summer.

Hopefully the new scouting team, and in my wildest dreams a slight engagement with stastical analysis to find the hidden gems, can bear some juicy fruit.

I get what you are saying Joe, but i'm sure it was quoted that after the astronomical rip off by our ex owner for the sale of the club, then this years budget was actually less than last years ? 

i might be wrong there. But if i'm correct he has had to have squad fillers 90% of which haven't paid off or barely played. Burgess being the main exception.

I have a feeling Askey will be quite astute and canny this summer with hopefully a better budget after the Man City game and hopefully Vale reaping some reward ( despite the charity status ) from the concert, eg Refreshments and alcohol sales.

I'd argue the keeper is adequate as a number 2, we have dropped on with Burgess. Let us also not forget despite his detractors on here that Bennett kept Pope out of the side for a lengthy period until maybe November ? so he is okay in my opinion.

Kennedy, Evans, Brisley all just numbers game. Archer the same as i don't quite see the hype over him from what i've seen. Cullen they keep saying isn't match sharp, yet it is nearly February. So again a squad filler..

Time will tell but i reckon Askey will address our shortcomings as he already has with pace and drive in midfield with the youngsters Taylor and Burgess.

Yes I too expected our fringe players to really take the Salford game as a chance to impress the manager and push for a first team place. Didn't happen. Was that because they aren't good enough or not up for it ? Leave that to Askey. Strange one in that we are well into the season  and surely fringe players are fit by now. If they are lacking match sharpness, and I do get that, if when you come into the first team you dont grab your chance then the hard truth is  it slips away. Possibly a hard one to do but if you dont come in  make an impact  and bust a gut then you will be out of the side sitting on your butt.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

I get what you are saying Joe, but i'm sure it was quoted that after the astronomical rip off by our ex owner for the sale of the club, then this years budget was actually less than last years ? 

i might be wrong there. But if i'm correct he has had to have squad fillers 90% of which haven't paid off or barely played. Burgess being the main exception.

I have a feeling Askey will be quite astute and canny this summer with hopefully a better budget after the Man City game and hopefully Vale reaping some reward ( despite the charity status ) from the concert, eg Refreshments and alcohol sales.

I'd argue the keeper is adequate as a number 2, we have dropped on with Burgess. Let us also not forget despite his detractors on here that Bennett kept Pope out of the side for a lengthy period until maybe November ? so he is okay in my opinion.

Kennedy, Evans, Brisley all just numbers game. Archer the same as i don't quite see the hype over him from what i've seen. Cullen they keep saying isn't match sharp, yet it is nearly February. So again a squad filler..

Time will tell but i reckon Askey will address our shortcomings as he already has with pace and drive in midfield with the youngsters Taylor and Burgess.

Budget was lower, and the club did very well in a chaotic summer, but the signings were obviously Askey using his contacts/good knowledge.

I'd like to see more inventiveness this season. Oyeleke for example, when not injured, was a superb signing from Aldershot. We need more like that. Not all non-league, but under the radar players.

Archived