Vital Spark

Pope tweets under investigation by FA

8 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Tom Pope has made the Times. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tom-pope-set-to-face-antisemitism-charge-9nwbqpgtz

It is probably behind a paywall but the first paragraph is interesting:

“A lower-league striker apparently hellbent on becoming the most objectionable man in English football has been banned for one match for insulting a fan — and is likely to be charged within days for a separate incident in which he posted an allegedly antisemitic tweet.“

Can't disagree with that.

Pope on social media is by far the most objectionable footballer I've seen. Genuinely had enough of him. He's not even very funny.

If there's more bans coming (5 games the rumour) then I would question his future at the club beyond this summer. He isn't good enough anymore to warrant this level of unprofessionalism. He's been warned but has (again) let himself, the club, and the fans down.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Santa said:

Enjoying a nice bit of gammon with my dinner today.

Can’t say that, do you realise how many vegans and vegetarians you’ve offended😀

Edited by Conrad

19 hours ago, geosname said:

Curtailing free speech is regressive not progressive. It's the essence of democracy.

Your own post disproves your own statement by being offensive.

The problem with the precious people is that they like free speech when they agree with what's being said but want to curtail it when it doesn't agree with them.

What if people find the term dinosaur offensive? You say society  has determined you can't be offensive.

It could be that calling people a plick would be offensive but you call them in your last paragraph, I won't call you out for being a hypocrite but I will remind you it's against forum rules to swear and there are consequences for doing so.

Often the people who want to ban or control your language demonstrate the most offensive behaviour.

I don't mind Pope's tweets by the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Regal Beagle said:

Often the people who want to ban or control your language demonstrate the most offensive behaviour.

I don't mind Pope's tweets by the way.

Shouldn't need to be banned if you've got the nous to know what is or isn't appropriate,  or anticipating the consequences. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

Can't disagree with that.

Pope on social media is by far the most objectionable footballer I've seen. Genuinely had enough of him. He's not even very funny.

If there's more bans coming (5 games the rumour) then I would question his future at the club beyond this summer. He isn't good enough anymore to warrant this level of unprofessionalism. He's been warned but has (again) let himself, the club, and the fans down.

Give over.

The blokes a club legend and you want to hang him out to dry...  yes he has done wrong but have a word with yourself.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Give over.

The blokes a club legend and you want to hang him out to dry...  yes he has done wrong but have a word with yourself.

He should be held to the same professionalism standards as every other player at the club.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

Noticed he's had no column in the sentinel this week. Or have I missed it?

You would be correct.

• Haha 1

On 24/01/2020 at 09:18, falmouthssoberist said:

Anyone seen the episode of black mirror where you rate everyone you meet and if your rating drops low you become an outcast???? That's the way we are heading

Do you know if his number of followers have increased or decreased on Twitter?

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

You would be correct.

😁 Are you a politician 😊

Has he had a column....... or has he missed it..... brilliant politicians answer....... you are correct.

33 minutes ago, geosname said:

😁 Are you a politician 😊

Has he had a column....... or has he missed it..... brilliant politicians answer....... you are correct.

Or does his ban also include his football journalistic activities, or have the Sentinel suspended him of their own accord?

I don’t have a problem with Tom’s tweets individually, although he should be mindful of the fact that he’s a representative of the club. The main issue is that having been reprimanded once, Tom should then learn the lesson and either quit Twitter all together or be far more selective in what he tweets, and his first offence should have been the end of the story.

14 hours ago, Old fort said:

Shouldn't need to be banned if you've got the nous to know what is or isn't appropriate,  or anticipating the consequences. 

Agreed, although I'd say that it shouldn't be banned full stop.

14 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Give over.

If you think Pope is a legend, you haven't been going very long. Yes good player, however not in same League as the like of Foyle, Naylor, Slaven, who did it at an higher level.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, For Us All said:

Do you know if his number of followers have increased or decreased on Twitter?

Screenshot_20200125_142948_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Give over.

Legend or not he has made himself unavailable for work so I hope he's not paid for not turning up.

• Like 1