onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope tweets under investigation by FA

Vital Spark

Advert

1 hour ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

The Sun reports that could be a potential 5 match ban - https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10798897/tom-pope-port-vale-ban-sloth-goonies/

I thought the anti semitism was the one match ban. Why has he continued with this course of behaviour. I think the world of TP and I can’t find words to thank him fir what he’s  done for the club in the past especially the last two seasons. Also TP won’t be playing at this level after next season and he seems to have pressed the self destruct button on possible media work, when he hangs up his boots. If he now gets a five game ban then I’m afraid the club should consider terminating his contract. Carol does a lot of charity work and won’t want something like this on her CV, damaging all the good work that she has done. If they don’t take appropriate action they could be accused of condoning his conduct.

if They get hold of his deleted tweets he could be in the cack. There are ways and means of doing so. Carol liking that tweet must surely to god signal to him that he’s being stupid. More to point why’s his account still up?

More to the point he ought to get off Faceache and  stop believing some of the fake right wing cack and then blimming reposting it.

To me a lot feels like an over reaction but in the day of “snowflakes” things are very different now to even just a few years ago.

If a bloke on twitter threatens Popey and he basically says he looks like Sloth it’s hardly something that should be punishable by a match ban and a £1500 fine, I mean seriously? Football federations have been fined slightly more than that for outright mass racism!

This may be an eye opener to a lot of footballers and possibly people in other professions and Pope is the fall guy a little bit because it seems to be very harsh for this particular incident.

Granted he crossed the line with this previous tweet which resulted in a ban, the Rothchilds one we will have to wait and see but again its one open to interpretation.

Everything and everyone these days seems to be looking to be offended or finding underlying motives in things and that’s the sad way society is going overboard. I think this particular indiscretion has been very very harshly punished and imagine a lot of footballers and probably nervous at the level of social media post that is now deemed as punishable.

If you go to this page you can click on the links that provide Essential information for players.  When you open the document you can go to pages 18 and 19 which show the rules about the use of social media.  Either Tom hasn't read them or he has chosen to ignore them.  He has no one to blame but himself for his punishments.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/player-essentials

The one match ban was for another tweet.

If true, I imagine the 5 game ban is for repeat offenses.

Let's not blame this on 'PC culture/snowflakes'. If you think 'people are so easily offended' is sufficient explanation, you aren't paying attention. Pope has acted unprofessionally with lewd comments, foul language, belligerent behaviour, aggressive opinions, and acting as an embarassment to the club for over a year. He is the captain, media presence, ambassador, and probably highest paid player of a club trying to strengthen ties with the community.

Imagine little Oliver, 8 years old, coming home from Primary School.

"Mum, some players from the Vale came in today and were really nice! Can I go and watch them on Saturday?"

"Sure we can Oliver, let me google the prices and I'll get the tickets booked!"

Mother googles 'Port Vale': First result - Tom Pope banned for one match for Twitter activity, further investigation into anti-semitism.

"Well, maybe he's a not a main player"

Mother finds out he is a former captain and largest profile at the club.

Its a hypothetical but I wouldn't be impressed if my kid wanted to go to a game of a club represented by a bloke like this.

I'm sorry but if he's banned for 6 games in total there's grounds for dismissal. Its absolutely unacceptable. The FA had a hearing last year. The club warned him last year. He got banned earlier this year. And now he's at it again. This isn't a shock to us. Its so bad none of us could even pinpoint the tweet responsible.

If it was literally ANY OTHER PLAYER we'd all be criticising them to no end.

Legend on the pitch but all this leaves a sour taste.

The one match ban was for another tweet.
If true, I imagine the 5 game ban is for repeat offenses.
Let's not blame this on 'PC culture/snowflakes'. If you think 'people are so easily offended' is sufficient explanation, you aren't paying attention. Pope has acted unprofessionally with lewd comments, foul language, belligerent behaviour, aggressive opinions, and acting as an embarassment to the club for over a year. He is the captain, media presence, ambassador, and probably highest paid player of a club trying to strengthen ties with the community.
Imagine little Oliver, 8 years old, coming home from Primary School.
"Mum, some players from the Vale came in today and were really nice! Can I go and watch them on Saturday?"
"Sure we can Oliver, let me google the prices and I'll get the tickets booked!"
Mother googles 'Port Vale': First result - Tom Pope banned for one match for Twitter activity, further investigation into anti-semitism.
"Well, maybe he's a not a main player"
Mother finds out he is a former captain and largest profile at the club.
Its a hypothetical but I wouldn't be impressed if my kid wanted to go to a game of a club represented by a bloke like this.
I'm sorry but if he's banned for 6 games in total there's grounds for dismissal. Its absolutely unacceptable. The FA had a hearing last year. The club warned him last year. He got banned earlier this year. And now he's at it again. This isn't a shock to us. Its so bad none of us could even pinpoint the tweet responsible.
If it was literally ANY OTHER PLAYER we'd all be criticising them to no end.
Legend on the pitch but all this leaves a sour taste.

I’m not saying he is right and as I point out the comments that got him the previous ban was deserved but on this one I think it’s overboard.

A fan abuses him on twitter (didn’t he threaten to break his legs?) and he compares him to a character of a TV show in response... that is overboard. If my job fined me four figures for that or anyone else here we’d be spitting blood!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

Wayne Hennessy did a Nazi salute not was found not proven of doing anything wrong as he claimed he didn't know who Hitler was. So it will be complete b/s really if they say to Pope "oh yes you must know the antisemitic conspiracy theory that the Rothschild family run world banks as part of the Nazi created trope of Jews running the world economy".

But the FA may throw the book at him due to Pope's record. They won't want people to say "so anti-Semitism is okay/on a level with insulting some bloke?"

Pope hasn't tweeted since then but I think the club should punish him if he does start tweeting again.

But if it was a repeat offence by you and you had already been warned/fined/suspended for it you might think it was a bad idea in the first place.  The FA guidance specifically says: DO NOT: • Use threatening, indecent, abusive or insulting language or images. 

3 minutes ago, Wrex said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

Wayne Hennessy did a Nazi salute not was found not proven of doing anything wrong as he claimed he didn't know who Hitler was. So it will be complete b/s really if they say to Pope "oh yes you must know the antisemitic conspiracy theory that the Rothschild family run world banks as part of the Nazi created trope of Jews running the world economy".

But the FA may throw the book at him due to Pope's record. They won't want people to say "so anti-Semitism is okay/on a level with insulting some bloke?"

Pope hasn't tweeted since then but I think the club should punish him if he does start tweeting again.

Not proven does not mean innocent.  It means there were alternative interpretations of his action.  They were also hugely critical of his ignorance but it was not his ignorance that produced the not proven result. 

When Pope was getting some stick, I started "Pope is a Legend Poll" here, 98%, agreed. I tweeted this to Pope. You know all supportive. His reply was "Who gives a f*** what you think". Charming. He is an absolute hole sometimes on there, and to be honest he has brought it all on himself. There is banter and there is tastelessness and abuse. Pope cannot distinguish,

This is not snowflake stuff. He's often a total knob on twitter.

Just listened to Scot Brown interview on RS tonight. 

The bloke has hardly been with us five minutes and has set bounds of respect, decency and how to professionally represent himself, his family and Port Vale way beyond Tom Popes comprehension. 

Chalk and cheese examples of character, just a bit embarrassing that on of them is a native of these parts. 

Archived