onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope tweets under investigation by FA

Vital Spark

Advert

14 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Give over.

The blokes a club legend and you want to hang him out to dry...  yes he has done wrong but have a word with yourself.

Legend or not he has made himself unavailable for work so I hope he's not paid for not turning up.

On 23/01/2020 at 20:34, Joe B said:

The one match ban was for another tweet.

If true, I imagine the 5 game ban is for repeat offenses.

Let's not blame this on 'PC culture/snowflakes'. If you think 'people are so easily offended' is sufficient explanation, you aren't paying attention. Pope has acted unprofessionally with lewd comments, foul language, belligerent behaviour, aggressive opinions, and acting as an embarassment to the club for over a year. He is the captain, media presence, ambassador, and probably highest paid player of a club trying to strengthen ties with the community.

Imagine little Oliver, 8 years old, coming home from Primary School.

"Mum, some players from the Vale came in today and were really nice! Can I go and watch them on Saturday?"

"Sure we can Oliver, let me google the prices and I'll get the tickets booked!"

Mother googles 'Port Vale': First result - Tom Pope banned for one match for Twitter activity, further investigation into anti-semitism.

"Well, maybe he's a not a main player"

Mother finds out he is a former captain and largest profile at the club.

Its a hypothetical but I wouldn't be impressed if my kid wanted to go to a game of a club represented by a bloke like this.

I'm sorry but if he's banned for 6 games in total there's grounds for dismissal. Its absolutely unacceptable. The FA had a hearing last year. The club warned him last year. He got banned earlier this year. And now he's at it again. This isn't a shock to us. Its so bad none of us could even pinpoint the tweet responsible.

If it was literally ANY OTHER PLAYER we'd all be criticising them to no end.

Legend on the pitch but all this leaves a sour taste.

Absolute nonsense.

I took a nephew along for his his first game in 2011, Gary Roberts at the time was making the headlines for the wrong reasons. His parents didn't question their son's visit to VP in spite of headlines about alcoholism and gambling in the Sentinel and on the net. In fact they came along themselves a few weeks later, and still do.

Some people really should find other things to get wound up about. For example the threat to freedom of speech and the humourless society that some want us to turn into.

On 23/01/2020 at 20:34, Joe B said:

The one match ban was for another tweet.

If true, I imagine the 5 game ban is for repeat offenses.

Let's not blame this on 'PC culture/snowflakes'. If you think 'people are so easily offended' is sufficient explanation, you aren't paying attention. Pope has acted unprofessionally with lewd comments, foul language, belligerent behaviour, aggressive opinions, and acting as an embarassment to the club for over a year. He is the captain, media presence, ambassador, and probably highest paid player of a club trying to strengthen ties with the community.

Imagine little Oliver, 8 years old, coming home from Primary School.

"Mum, some players from the Vale came in today and were really nice! Can I go and watch them on Saturday?"

"Sure we can Oliver, let me google the prices and I'll get the tickets booked!"

Mother googles 'Port Vale': First result - Tom Pope banned for one match for Twitter activity, further investigation into anti-semitism.

"Well, maybe he's a not a main player"

Mother finds out he is a former captain and largest profile at the club.

Its a hypothetical but I wouldn't be impressed if my kid wanted to go to a game of a club represented by a bloke like this.

I'm sorry but if he's banned for 6 games in total there's grounds for dismissal. Its absolutely unacceptable. The FA had a hearing last year. The club warned him last year. He got banned earlier this year. And now he's at it again. This isn't a shock to us. Its so bad none of us could even pinpoint the tweet responsible.

If it was literally ANY OTHER PLAYER we'd all be criticising them to no end.

Legend on the pitch but all this leaves a sour taste.

Lets try this hypothetical scenario 

Take a footballer lets call him 'Tim'.

Take a football fan lets call him Stevenage fan

Stevenage fan reacts to a comment on Stevenage by 'Tim'

He verbally abuses 'Tim' in his rant as well as  calling him a fat paedophile and that their centre backs are going to knock hie effing teeth out

'Tim' tweets back ay up sloth havnt seen you since you were in the beenies [obviously deeply hurtful]

Stevenage fan contacts the FA  stating that his mental health has been deeply affected by this disgraceful slur on his character

'Tim travels to the FA in London

Stevenage fan doesnt need to attend to give evidence an e mail or letter will do

'The FA find 'Tim' guilty of something

11 hours ago, butt lane vale fan said:

If you think Pope is a legend, you haven't been going very long. Yes good player, however not in same League as the like of Foyle, Naylor, Slaven, who did it at an higher level.

Give over. What level you’re at has no relevance to your ‘legendary’ status. It’s all relevant to the level you’re at at the time. 

he was the top scorer in the whole country when he won us our only promotion in the last 25 years and his goals have saved us from relegation out of the football league on 2 occasions. 

2nd highest scorer in our entire history. 

and he is a die hard vale fan.  

he’s about as big a club legend as you can get. 

And I’ve been going for 35 years. 

6 hours ago, George said:

Give over. What level you’re at has no relevance to your ‘legendary’ status. It’s all relevant to the level you’re at at the time. 

he was the top scorer in the whole country when he won us our only promotion in the last 25 years and his goals have saved us from relegation out of the football league on 2 occasions. 

2nd highest scorer in our entire history. 

and he is a die hard vale fan.  

he’s about as big a club legend as you can get. 

And I’ve been going for 35 years. 

Maybe he should start to act like a ‘legend’ ,don’t you think George?Ive been going 60 years ,Pope is nowhere near the top ten on the  pitch and not in the top 1000 off it.

2 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

Maybe he should start to act like a ‘legend’ ,don’t you think George?Ive been going 60 years ,Pope is nowhere near the top ten on the  pitch and not in the top 1000 off it.

Whether you like it or not Howjy Tom Pope has been a very positive influence to Port Vale ever since he put on a shirt for us. 

1 He was the main reason why we got promotion to L1 in 2012-13

2 He has saved us from the threat of relegation on several occasions with some heroic performances. I well remember us losing 2-0 at home to Preston when Tom came off the bench after a long injury lay off, he changed the game, popped in the first goal for us then was brought down for us to equalise from the spot. I am convinced to this day that had we lost that game we would have gone down.

3 Since his return after the previous owner forced him out with the offer of a poor deal and more importantly several of his famous derogatory comments, Tom is the main reason why we have stayed in the league along with help from the likes of Brownie and Smithie.

4 Remember also that for most of his Vale career he has been playing in a poor squad due to previous managers and owners lousy recruitment.

I do wish he would come off the likes of twitter because it is full of idiots and though he enjoys 'banter' it just isn't worth it and sours for many supporters their opinion of a man who despite a few peoples negative beliefs is a Vale legend in an era when loyalty within the game is as rare as 'rocking horse droppings'.

Also despite other opinions which seems to include the manager Tom Pope is still far and away the Club's best striker.

On 26/01/2020 at 07:38, Howjy04 said:

How is a ‘legend’ supposed to act mate?

Cantona is a Man Utd legend and he kung fu kicked a fan in the face and missed about 9 months!

should Tom stop being an idiot on twitter? 100% yes. 

does that in anyway diminish what he has achieved for our club and his legendary status? Not in the slightest. 

For Howjy to suggest (stop quoting him!) that Tom isn't in the top 1000 players off the pitch is the blatherings of someone who knows nothing about what he does for the club in the Community.  He's an idiot on Twitter but he's exemplary in his off field role. 

Archived