onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope tweets under investigation by FA

Vital Spark

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

I don't believe Tom is a bad character.  He does loads of work in the community.  He's just an idiot on Twitter.

Not said one thing or another about his character, ust the variance. Then again, does not the Twitter activity somewhat paint a coloured picture that could lead to the path of forming certain assertions and opinions,  whether they are accurate or not?

Advert

4 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Not said one thing or another about his character, ust the variance. Then again, does not the Twitter activity somewhat paint a coloured picture that could lead to the path of forming certain assertions and opinions,  whether they are accurate or not?

Your "chalk and cheese" comment in your post implied that Brown was a good character and Pope wasn't.  You see how easy it is to misinterpret stuff on social media if you're not careful!!

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Your "chalk and cheese" comment in your post implied that Brown was a good character and Pope wasn't.  You see how easy it is to misinterpret stuff on social media if you're not careful!!

Absolutely correct Jean and that is the whole point, perfectly demonstrated. 

4 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Times arent changing, they have changed.  Society has decided that it's not ok to be offensive and as much as the dinosaurs want to label that as snowflake it's actually progressive.

Gone are the days where proclaiming you are saying it as it is excuses being a prick.

Curtailing free speech is regressive not progressive. It's the essence of democracy.

Your own post disproves your own statement by being offensive.

The problem with the precious people is that they like free speech when they agree with what's being said but want to curtail it when it doesn't agree with them.

What if people find the term dinosaur offensive? You say society  has determined you can't be offensive.

It could be that calling people a plick would be offensive but you call them in your last paragraph, I won't call you out for being a hypocrite but I will remind you it's against forum rules to swear and there are consequences for doing so.

11 hours ago, Wrex said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

Wayne Hennessy did a Nazi salute not was found not proven of doing anything wrong as he claimed he didn't know who Hitler was. So it will be complete b/s really if they say to Pope "oh yes you must know the antisemitic conspiracy theory that the Rothschild family run world banks as part of the Nazi created trope of Jews running the world economy".

But the FA may throw the book at him due to Pope's record. They won't want people to say "so anti-Semitism is okay/on a level with insulting some bloke?"

Pope hasn't tweeted since then but I think the club should punish him if he does start tweeting again.

Hennessey should have had a longer ban than pope ,purely for his lies .

Tom Pope has made the Times. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tom-pope-set-to-face-antisemitism-charge-9nwbqpgtz

It is probably behind a paywall but the first paragraph is interesting:

“A lower-league striker apparently hellbent on becoming the most objectionable man in English football has been banned for one match for insulting a fan — and is likely to be charged within days for a separate incident in which he posted an allegedly antisemitic tweet.“

13 hours ago, Wrex said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

Wayne Hennessy did a Nazi salute not was found not proven of doing anything wrong as he claimed he didn't know who Hitler was. So it will be complete b/s really if they say to Pope "oh yes you must know the antisemitic conspiracy theory that the Rothschild family run world banks as part of the Nazi created trope of Jews running the world economy".

But the FA may throw the book at him due to Pope's record. They won't want people to say "so anti-Semitism is okay/on a level with insulting some bloke?"

Pope hasn't tweeted since then but I think the club should punish him if he does start tweeting again.

Right,so Hennessy said he didn't know who Hitler was?

He should have been fined and banned for even admitting that.

14 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

If you go to this page you can click on the links that provide Essential information for players.  When you open the document you can go to pages 18 and 19 which show the rules about the use of social media.  Either Tom hasn't read them or he has chosen to ignore them.  He has no one to blame but himself for his punishments.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/player-essentials

Quite clear ignorance is no excuse. So the judgement will hinge on whether  he should know what he was talking about, not a problem in a pub (you may get a thump) but as a known representative of a business it can be a serious matter. It will be interesting to see what he is charged with.

Happy Chinese New year.....

Oh wait..... is that appropriation of a national identity?..... some see that as offensive..... what about wishing an atheist a merry Christmas?..... or wishing someone who has to work a happy holiday?.... how about happy birthday to someone who doesn't want to be reminded it's their birthday?.... if my wife asks me if something she has purchased suits her do I have to say yes so I don't offend her?

I was told by a police officer that he could arrest me for telling him hollocks because it was offensive, did Vince cable get arrested for saying hollocks to brexit?..... the officer did change his mind when I told him he couldn't be the complainant..... and a few other things that may have affected his qualified immunity.

Freedom of speech allows you to say what you want, it doesn't become an escape clause for the consequences of saying it. .... the law should not care about anyone's  feelings. 

Archived