onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope tweets under investigation by FA

Vital Spark

2 hours ago, Warren said:

So, for example, my wife is called Rosemary and that is known to everyone as the name she wants to be called. If some person then consistently calls her Rosie, it is clear that person is being deliberately offensive.

That's a nice example there Warren but, just to be add a little bit of context, the initial discussion was regarding a trope that contributed to the systematic persecution and genocide of millions of people. As opposed to an abbreviated form of your wife's christian name that she doesn't much care for.

Advert

1 hour ago, Santa said:

That's a nice example there Warren but, just to be add a little bit of context, the initial discussion was regarding a trope that contributed to the systematic persecution and genocide of millions of people. As opposed to an abbreviated form of your wife's christian name that she doesn't much care for.

True Santa, but someone saying Tom's twitter is a 'classic trope' is a far cry from Tom knowingly repeating - or should that be re-tweeting - the WWIII response with the deliberate intention to offend.

It seems to me that Tom, like many using Twitter, love to be in 'peoples' faces' without giving a toss as to what others think of him.

On 08/01/2020 at 08:25, STUNG said:

the endgame here is for tom to end up on i'm a celebrity , the timing is perfect .

Funny that mate, cos I said pretty much the same thing to my wife regarding the John Stones tweets, given the national exposure it got. Could be Tom carving out a nice little celebrity career out for himself after football😁

On 07/01/2020 at 16:32, pvfc_loyal said:

the most disappointing thing for me isn't the fact he tweeted it, I believe Popey is genuinely thick enough not to know the historical connotations

but the fact there are those on this forum defending him, either through sheer blind faith, or through a lack of intelligence of their own

You mean the historical connotations regarding the Rothschlds being a successful family who are one of the richest familes in the world thanks to their own hard work?

If you see something else in his tweet then that's your problem. I don't, and I'm sure TP didn't.

And as for your remark about Vale fans having a lack of intelligence , then I am offended at this.

Now, how does it feel to be accused of offending when maybe, just maybe, you didn't intend to cause offense?

1 hour ago, jimbo57 said:

You mean the historical connotations regarding the Rothschlds being a successful family who are one of the richest familes in the world thanks to their own hard work?

If you see something else in his tweet then that's your problem. I don't, and I'm sure TP didn't.

And as for your remark about Vale fans having a lack of intelligence , then I am offended at this.

Now, how does it feel to be accused of offending when maybe, just maybe, you didn't intend to cause offense?

Come on now; you know that there is an age-old anti-Semitic trope which espouses that Jewish-owned banks exert nefarious influence on the globe's dealings.

Pope said they will 'own all the banks', implying some sort of conspiracy/monopoly, which is very different to saying 'they are rich and work hard', and you know it.

The argument is that Pope probably isn't well-read enough to understand the anti-Semitism behind this; he's probably heard 'The Rothschilds control the banks' somewhere and, without understanding they're Jewish or the specific anti-Semitic nature of this message, has, bizarrely, decided to regurgitate it at 3am on a Sunday morning, most likely after a beer or two.

Unfortunately, if you're going to make comments on social media, you're going to be held accountable; Pope made a comment which is anti-Semitic, without him himself intending to be anti-Semitic. If you didn't know Pope has a history of making slightly misinformed comments on social media, you would assume he's being anti-Semitic, as implying that a Jewish family 'own all the banks' is anti-Semitic. Thankfully, he can plead ignorance.

I'd have more sympathy for the bloke if he hadn't been in hot water before regarding his ignorance, forthright/controversial opinions, and downright belligerence on social media.

Archived