onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope tweets under investigation by FA

Vital Spark

There's no way Pope meant it as its been taken.

Still, it was a pointless comment on a hypothetical WW3 made at 3 in the morning after one of the best days of his life.

Just seems a bit daft, considering his previous form. Stay off social media, Tom.

Advert

He isn't being labelled an anti-semite simply because he's mentioned a Jewish person, but because there is a long standing anti-semitic trope which links Jewish people to controlling of the global finance system.

There's no way that's what Pope meant but I can see why people might read it that way.

Its just another example of Pope being daft. Get him off social media, for his own sake.

2 hours ago, Fingaz Mc said:

Surely if you think it's anti semitic then doesn't that mean you kind of buy into the whole conspiracy theory, therefore making you anti semitic..?

Not to be the bloke that pulls that card but I'm half Jewish (I don't believe in the religion meself but one side of my family are Jewish, either way I'm sure the SS would of still shot me back in the day) and I'm not offended by it.

Although (and I'm a massive fan of his) I do think Popey needs to get off twitter, it's a toxic place full of hate and arguments. Just for the simple fact that we don't need any more match bans!

Recognising an anti-semitic trope does not make you anti-semitic.

I admire Tom on the pitch immensely, both as a player and as a life-long fan, but sadly (especially after such a fantastic record-breaking goal at the weekend) I cannot condone the irresponsible and naive Twitter comment he made in the early hours of this morning.  I know he has now deleted the original, but whatever the circumstances (over exuberant celebrating perhaps?) he should be giving more thought to his postings before pressing the 'send' button. Whether or not he realised it would appear antisemetic, only Tom will be able to say, but it has certainly (and not surprisingly, given current sensitivities surrounding this issue) been interpreted as such.  I suspect that because he quickly deleted it, he probably did realise he had overstepped the mark!

I hope he really does learn from the uproar this Tweet has now created.   Because he has previous form for unwise Tweeting,  sadly, the FA are now investigating him again, and I think that another ban is going to be the end result.  Think on Tom, you're certainly a well-loved icon on the pitch, but such mindless, ill thought-out tweeting currently prevents you from being a good ambassador for Port Vale off the pitch. Please, please, for your sake and the club's, think on more carefully next time.

37 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

And this is a potential future manager of Port Vale ?

Be more toxic than Joey Barton 

I get that opinions are individual but this one seems a bit over the top... Let’s not forget that Joey Barton is rumoured to have put a cigarette out in a youth team players eye.

50 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I get that opinions are individual but this one seems a bit over the top... Let’s not forget that Joey Barton is rumoured to have put a cigarette out in a youth team players eye.

And assaulted an opposition manager! 

11 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

If i can clarify. I meant toxic as in bad publicity for our club. 

Let me use myself as an example, i work for a school. I don't do Twitter or Facebook. Why is this the case? Because i'm a sarcastic individual and also opinionated.

I have my opinions on the likes of Trump, Corbyn, Diane Abbott, Greta Thunberg, James McLean etc , but i choose to keep those opinions private as it would firstly result in me probably losing my job and secondly my own views are private.

I'm in a Wattsap group with one or two who come on here. This is stuff i've read from Popes' twitter account.

What he'd like to do to Carolyn Radford ( Mansfield owner)

Jokes about what he has done to peoples mums.

He then gets a fine and ban from the FA for comments he made allegedly about Crewe. Within days he was then back on there so clearly hadn't learnt his lesson. 

Now the Stones business was dug up by some sad individual and a big deal made of it. Again you can say it is banter, does it make it acceptable when you are a Professional footballer ? Now the latest comment after some bizarre question about World War 3.

Match of the day on Saturday night hardly made any reference about our fantastic TEAM effort and our wonderfully worked goal, it was all Dion Dublin wittering on about the Stones tweet with Gabby Yorath. 

Now i love Pope to bits as a player, some amazing memories such as Saturday, both Rotherham games and his hat trick in the snow against Cheltenham but he is fast becoming a village idiot with his crass comments.

He doesn't think before he presses that button. The way of the world now is you simply can't say anything that will remotely offend or banter that can be misconstrued. So the motto is keep off for your own good and also for the good of Port Vale Football Club.

The disappointing thing about it all is that in a weekend of such good publicity for how we played, the goal, the fans behaviour, the amount of people that went to the game.... It has quickly became overshadowed by Popes tweet a mere few hours after the game.

I’m sure that the manager and owners were looking forward to practically skipping in to work with a smile on their faces on Monday, but  instead were having to reply to the FA who are investigating their star man of the weekend for being unable to keep his mouth shut. If he isn’t careful stuff like that is liable to force him out of the club as IMO it goes against the image that the new owners are trying to present. 

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

The disappointing thing about it all is that in a weekend of such good publicity for how we played, the goal, the fans behaviour, the amount of people that went to the game.... It has quickly became overshadowed by Popes tweet a mere few hours after the game.

I’m sure that the manager and owners were looking forward to practically skipping in to work with a smile on their faces on Monday, but  instead were having to reply to the FA who are investigating their star man of the weekend for being unable to keep his mouth shut. If he isn’t careful stuff like that is liable to force him out of the club as IMO it goes against the image that the new owners are trying to present. 

And I'm sure the club will deal with it internally and with a good deal less publicity than the tweet generated. 

I am with most people here. Tom Pope has not learned his lesson by already being banned for one game for inappropriate use of social media.  I think his earlier comments about John Stones were disrespectful, boastful and borderline bullying.  The deleted tweet is completely unacceptable, based on the decision by Tom to delete it after a period of reflection.  He is a good servant of the club, and a fine player, let him stick to that. Social media is a ticking timebomb, and its potential toxic outcomes could prove to be even more harmful to Tom and the club.  If he missed a game because he turned up drunk and unfit to play there would be hell to play.  What is the difference in outcome by missing games through a ban for social media comments? No difference at all, so bin it Tom.

Archived