Vital Spark

Fans Greatest 10 Vale Games

I preferred the away draw at Everton, rather than the win in the replay. Just the timing of Bogies equaliser, Everton fans taunting us then a big deflection over Southalls head, injury time and the roof definitely came off in that away end, brilliant day.

Only being a whipper snapper, my first big game memory was 29 Jan 1977 when Vale beat Burnley in the FA cup third round at VP. It was the first time that I'd ever seen our ground looking so full. We had over 18000 in and won 2-1. Shame about the mither in the Paddock,  but it was the 70's. Before that we beat Hull in the previous round at VP in a replay. Strange that I can't remember the goals, but a fantastic Trevor Dance save, on to the bar sticks out vividly.

Oh BTW, I've just remembered, sad to say that the first time I'd seen VP with a decent crowd in was when our neighbours loaned our ground to play a dreadful game against Middlesbrough, in January 1976 after their Butler Street roof blew off. The attendance that day was 21007. Middlesbrough lost 1-0 courtesy of an 87th minute winner from Ian Moores,  God rest his soul. 

Surprised no one has mentioned our 2-2  League Cup draw at Anfield in the early 90’s.

This was a time when the competition was taken seriously and Liverpool pretty much fielded their first team.

A huge Vale following saw goals from a Van Der Laan header in front of The Kip and Foyle’s second half equaliser.

But that said, our defeat of the Blue half of Liverpool in ‘96 is the best I have ever seen Vale play considering the standard of the opposition. 

Got to mention the 1-1 draw with stoke when lee mills equalised in about the 93rd minute , and shouts of you’ll never beat the vale !!! Not sure what year it was . 

On 05/01/2020 at 21:47, ollyandpatch said:

I would add the 1-1 draw with Stoke (Robbie Earle scored at Victoria ground)  Wolves away 3-3, and Bolton at home won 2-1 with ten men and Walkers last minute winner then horses in the paddock. !! Going further back. FA cup replay win against Hull (Beamish hatrick)

That FA Cup win v Hull was the first "big" game I remember as a kid, since they had Billy Bremner playing for them in his post Leeds days.  It wasn't a Beamish hat trick though - he scored a late equaliser at Boothferry Park to get us the reply, and twice at Vale Park, so he scored three over the two games, but the other goal in the 3 - 1 win came from Kevin Kennerly, who smashed a shot in off the underside of the bar.  I was right behind it, and went mad. First time I heard the Paddock really singing loudly that night - I was stood on the Lorne Street. 

Surprised no one has mentioned our 2-2  League Cup draw at Anfield in the early 90’s.
This was a time when the competition was taken seriously and Liverpool pretty much fielded their first team.
A huge Vale following saw goals from a Van Der Laan header in front of The Kip and Foyle’s second half equaliser.
But that said, our defeat of the Blue half of Liverpool in ‘96 is the best I have ever seen Vale play considering the standard of the opposition. 

Blimey, can’t believe I forgot that night. We took a huge following to Anfield that night.

Blimey, can’t believe I forgot that night. We took a huge following to Anfield that night.

Two other games where we played brilliantly are the 5-0 drubbing of Ipswich on I think New Years day. and the game away to Northampton (which I think was played on a Thursday) in the week following the Autoglass victory. We won 2-0 and was the most one sided away victory I can ever remember.

The Ipswich game was indeed a fantastic effort. One or two others spring to my mind as well. A win at Fulham when Jones scored 3 or 4. Was it 6-0 that day? Something like that.

17 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Good call.

Our two cup games at Anfield must be up there with the late equaliser at Goodison.

To go to Liverpool three times and come away unbeaten were tremendous achievements considering the opposition.

Personally,the best I've seen us play both occurred in 2001.The Cup Final at the Millennium Stadium on our Wedding Anniversary 22nd April and the masterclass four days later when we went to the Sixfields and beat Northampton 2-0.That was the birthday present ever.

On 06/01/2020 at 19:58, Old fort said:

Only being a whipper snapper, my first big game memory was 29 Jan 1977 when Vale beat Burnley in the FA cup third round at VP. It was the first time that I'd ever seen our ground looking so full. We had over 18000 in and won 2-1.

Nice one OF!    Really great memories because that game is definitely in my top 5 and was my first ever Vale game.  At the age of 10 it got me hooked and I'm still a lifer. 

Another is the Autoglass area Semi Final 1993 vs Stoke at the Vic, under the cosh for most of the game then Van der Laan's flick header to give us a 1 nil and put us into the area final.  Absolutely superb.  

• Like 1

Most of the games have been covered by other posters. 

But I must mention a 4-2 win away at Portsmouth where Beckford was on fine form. Great day that was. 

Also have fond memories of Torquay, Tranmere and Stockport during promotion seasons. 

12 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Most of the games have been covered by other posters. 

But I must mention a 4-2 win away at Portsmouth where Beckford was on fine form. Great day that was. 

Also have fond memories of Torquay, Tranmere and Stockport during promotion seasons. 

I'd also add the game away at Brighton last game of the season to gain promotion and Bristol Rovers promotion at Vale Park. 

Two games that stick out for me, Sept 1988, 2 consecutive home games beating Cardiff 6-1 with some block buster goals, then 2 days later beating Chesterfield 5 - 0.

• Like 1

All the great games for me have been mentioned, except one.  In 1969 we played Wrexham away in the league we were top of the league, they were second.  It was Division 4, we were undefeated and it was late October.  There were over 19,000 fans shoe horned into the Racecourse Ground. The atmosphere was intense, there was  a bit of a bust up and Steve Ingle of Wrexham was sent off, along with our own wonderful John James.  The game ended in a 1-1 draw, we scored through Tommy MacLaren.  Back in those days Wrexham were really big rivals of us.  That game was anticipated for weeks in advance and it did not disappoint.

• Thanks 1

In my time, notable games I was at that were great:

Villa 3 - Vale 1 - 8000 Valiants and we played really well, Leon missing a sitter at 0-0 and us only falling late on once the impressive Fortune went off injured. 

Spurs 3 Vale 1 - Goodlad immense, close to the win but just couldn't see it out, leading so late on was a great atmosphere

Huddersfield 3 Vale 4 - Greatest comeback we were dead and showing no signs of life until Howlands lob 11 minutes from time. 

Man City 4 Vale 1 - The Pope goal will live forever in the memory

Vale 7 Burton 1 - Everything came together that night

Vale 6 Rotherham 2 - Destroyed fatty Evans expensive side

Vale 2 Brentford 1 - Dominant LDV final win, should of been more than it was.

WBA 0 Vale 0 - Brave performance against a strong side, good atmosphere and unlucky to lose on pens after the effort we put in

Fleetwood 2 Vale 5 - One of the greatest away games under the lights. Dodds and Pope unplayable

Vale 2 Chesterfield 1 thought I was going to have a heart attack! Huge win.

Stoke 0 Vale 1 The last "derby"

Crewe 0 Vale 1 - Great win against the arrogant leaders.

Vale 3 Crewe 0 - Relegating the arrogant lot from Cheshire.

Vale 2 Cobblers 2 - Promotion all but sealed

Wycombe 1 Vale 1 - Promotion sealed, great atmopshere