onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Fans Greatest 10 Vale Games

Vital Spark

Advert

30 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Spurs away was a great night, Goodlad was world class that night and we were so close to a win before the late deflected goal and extra time tiredness caught up with us (inc another huge deflected goal)

Goody reckoned he had all their shots covered.

The Autoglass win over Brentford was a fantastic performance from the team, playing very good football, but despite the many famous cup wins the stand out moment for me was the play-off victory over BR that took us up into the Championship. I've watched the Vale since the early sixties and never seen us play at that level before. It was an amazing moment. I think I went to nearly every away game the following year and I was still rubbing my eyes in disbelief to see my Vale team running out at places like Leeds, West Ham, Newcastle and Leicester. The Brighton game was similar a few years later.

The best I've seen us play was probably in the Everton cup game.

And who will forget the mud bath 3-1 against Stoke?

A lot of lows of course over the years but a few wonderful highs, made all the sweeter by our lower league struggles.

Only being a whipper snapper, my first big game memory was 29 Jan 1977 when Vale beat Burnley in the FA cup third round at VP. It was the first time that I'd ever seen our ground looking so full. We had over 18000 in and won 2-1. Shame about the mither in the Paddock,  but it was the 70's. Before that we beat Hull in the previous round at VP in a replay. Strange that I can't remember the goals, but a fantastic Trevor Dance save, on to the bar sticks out vividly.

Oh BTW, I've just remembered, sad to say that the first time I'd seen VP with a decent crowd in was when our neighbours loaned our ground to play a dreadful game against Middlesbrough, in January 1976 after their Butler Street roof blew off. The attendance that day was 21007. Middlesbrough lost 1-0 courtesy of an 87th minute winner from Ian Moores,  God rest his soul. 

Surprised no one has mentioned our 2-2  League Cup draw at Anfield in the early 90’s.

This was a time when the competition was taken seriously and Liverpool pretty much fielded their first team.

A huge Vale following saw goals from a Van Der Laan header in front of The Kip and Foyle’s second half equaliser.

But that said, our defeat of the Blue half of Liverpool in ‘96 is the best I have ever seen Vale play considering the standard of the opposition. 

On 05/01/2020 at 21:47, ollyandpatch said:

I would add the 1-1 draw with Stoke (Robbie Earle scored at Victoria ground)  Wolves away 3-3, and Bolton at home won 2-1 with ten men and Walkers last minute winner then horses in the paddock. !! Going further back. FA cup replay win against Hull (Beamish hatrick)

That FA Cup win v Hull was the first "big" game I remember as a kid, since they had Billy Bremner playing for them in his post Leeds days.  It wasn't a Beamish hat trick though - he scored a late equaliser at Boothferry Park to get us the reply, and twice at Vale Park, so he scored three over the two games, but the other goal in the 3 - 1 win came from Kevin Kennerly, who smashed a shot in off the underside of the bar.  I was right behind it, and went mad. First time I heard the Paddock really singing loudly that night - I was stood on the Lorne Street. 

Surprised no one has mentioned our 2-2  League Cup draw at Anfield in the early 90’s.
This was a time when the competition was taken seriously and Liverpool pretty much fielded their first team.
A huge Vale following saw goals from a Van Der Laan header in front of The Kip and Foyle’s second half equaliser.
But that said, our defeat of the Blue half of Liverpool in ‘96 is the best I have ever seen Vale play considering the standard of the opposition. 

Blimey, can’t believe I forgot that night. We took a huge following to Anfield that night.

Blimey, can’t believe I forgot that night. We took a huge following to Anfield that night.

Two other games where we played brilliantly are the 5-0 drubbing of Ipswich on I think New Years day. and the game away to Northampton (which I think was played on a Thursday) in the week following the Autoglass victory. We won 2-0 and was the most one sided away victory I can ever remember.

Archived