onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: EFLT R3 Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Askey only has one game plan.
Playing one up front no matter if we are playing Swindon or Stevenage.
So we don’t need another striker to warm the bench.
I am sure if Cullen was played correctly to feed off Pope rather than a lone striker he would score goals. Lee Hughes did it for Mickey.
Really talk of bringing half a dozen players in in January is silly because any player is going to be expensive and the decent ones who are playing regularly won’t give up a decent contract unless offered silly money.
Best to tread water and consolidate ready to strengthen the squad in the summer to give it a real go to get promoted.
Even if we did manage to get up from the play offs we would struggle to stay up without throwing money at it to stay up.
It is obvious that given injuries and suspensions we really haven’t got the squad players who can step up to the mark when given the chance.
Poor squad player signings early instead of waiting for recognised league players means we are carrying a few passengers who need moving on to pastures new.

What do you make of Burgess? I’m sure he’s one of the ones you hated?

Advert

Well look at that then I’m extremely annoyed over the amount of changes to our Midfield against Salford Tuesday I honestly don’t remember being excited once in the 84 mins I stayed for.... obviously walking out when they got the third... just really more annoying when you could be playing Accrington Stanley at HOME in the last 8 of the competition.... a massive Wembley chance here thrown away by a poor choice of midfield from Askey... I can’t see him making that many changes had Tuesday had been a League game ? I’m tired 💤 of hearing excuses about... We had to make changes because of 6 games in 15 days of where 5 players still on the pitch have played every one of them ??? Plus the rest of league two played 4/5 games in the same period???  We could have took players off with substitutions or if we took some decent players and put them on the bench might have been able sort out the poor Midfield where we lost the game... again I will say £40,000 missed out, in my eyes one of the easier home ties out of the last 8 and a chance for a Big day out at our level gone. 85,000 fans at last years final between Sunderland and Portsmouth... not saying it would be that high if we got there but I’m sure we would take 20-25,000 if we were in the final especially when we took about 9,000 and could have taken about 12-15,000 to Man City Away last week... a competition we should be trying win in my eyes but threw the towel in instead 

27 minutes ago, Ben Stevens said:

Well look at that then I’m extremely annoyed over the amount of changes to our Midfield against Salford Tuesday I honestly don’t remember being excited once in the 84 mins I stayed for.... obviously walking out when they got the third... just really more annoying when you could be playing Accrington Stanley at HOME in the last 8 of the competition.... a massive Wembley chance here thrown away by a poor choice of midfield from Askey... I can’t see him making that many changes had Tuesday had been a League game ? I’m tired 💤 of hearing excuses about... We had to make changes because of 6 games in 15 days of where 5 players still on the pitch have played every one of them ??? Plus the rest of league two played 4/5 games in the same period???  We could have took players off with substitutions or if we took some decent players and put them on the bench might have been able sort out the poor Midfield where we lost the game... again I will say £40,000 missed out, in my eyes one of the easier home ties out of the last 8 and a chance for a Big day out at our level gone. 85,000 fans at last years final between Sunderland and Portsmouth... not saying it would be that high if we got there but I’m sure we would take 20-25,000 if we were in the final especially when we took about 9,000 and could have taken about 12-15,000 to Man City Away last week... a competition we should be trying win in my eyes but threw the towel in instead 

Ben, only six teams in League One have played five games in 13 days.  None of the other five ran themselves into the ground against the Champions of England four days before the game.  We messed up on Tuesday but we need to let that go.  Our recent record against Accrington is far from brilliant - they did the double over us last time we played and they have beaten all League One clubs and Liverpool's U21s in this comp so far so I'm not sure that would have been such an easy tie.  By next Tuesday we will have played 7 games in 20 days.  Only one other team in League Two will have done that.  I'd rather rest players in the Trophy than in the League.  Let's keep things in perspective here. 

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Ben, only six teams in League One have played five games in 13 days.  None of the other five ran themselves into the ground against the Champions of England four days before the game.  We messed up on Tuesday but we need to let that go.  Our recent record against Accrington is far from brilliant - they did the double over us last time we played and they have beaten all League One clubs and Liverpool's U21s in this comp so far so I'm not sure that would have been such an easy tie.  By next Tuesday we will have played 7 games in 20 days.  Only one other team in League Two will have done that.  I'd rather rest players in the Trophy than in the League.  Let's keep things in perspective here. 

Yeah and the perspective of the matter is Askey threw the towel in mate. It was a dreadful performance and I’m sorry I expected a lot more from a team in the last 16 of a competition we should be trying to win. We should have set up better than we did personally changing the whole midfield was criminal to be fair and we have walked away from mor money for the club... And yes I do think we would have beaten Accrington at home irrespective of them doing double in the past this is present and we have lost two at home all season in all competitions so don’t see why we would definitely loose. I wanted more and got less personally not happy to be honest 

1 minute ago, Ben Stevens said:

Yeah and the perspective of the matter is Askey threw the towel in mate. It was a dreadful performance and I’m sorry I expected a lot more from a team in the last 16 of a competition we should be trying to win. We should have set up better than we did personally changing the whole midfield was criminal to be fair and we have walked away from mor money for the club... And yes I do think we would have beaten Accrington at home irrespective of them doing double in the past this is present and we have lost two at home all season in all competitions so don’t see why we would definitely loose. I wanted more and got less personally not happy to be honest 

I think he was trying to protect Burgess and Taylor who put in a hell of a lot of work over the Christmas period. The problem with that is we have no other midfield players with their energy and I thought that was a big factor in tuesdays game too, throw in 2 wingers who didn’t play well and it meant we had nothing like the usual threat or energy we normally have.  

If one of Burgess or Taylor pulled up with an injury you’d have been slating Askey too... the guy literally couldn’t win.

4 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

If one of Burgess or Taylor pulled up with an injury you’d have been slating Askey too... the guy literally couldn’t win.

I think it was the right decision not to start them on Tuesday. No one could have predicted that the majority of the forwards and midfield would have an off day.

JA was 100% right to rest players, he brought these squad lads in too pick up games in times like this when players are shattered. If we lose this game and beat Stevenage and Morecombe and get within striking distance of the play offs it will have been worth it.

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I think he was trying to protect Burgess and Taylor who put in a hell of a lot of work over the Christmas period. The problem with that is we have no other midfield players with their energy and I thought that was a big factor in tuesdays game too, throw in 2 wingers who didn’t play well and it meant we had nothing like the usual threat or energy we normally have.  

I’d have rather seen 4-4-2 personally mate if we were going completely uproot the side. I would have gone with Brown, Gibbons, Smith, Brisley 💩🙈, Atkinson, Montano, Joyce, Conlon, Browne, Bennett, Cullen.. and this ain’t a great lineup really 

5 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

And they haven’t been injured all season or playing the other 5 games too but once again we’re making excuses 

Also proved we definitely won’t finish top six without some new additions in January as well. Stevenage is a bogey ground I will be surprised if we win there my prediction is 1-1 at best but hope I’m proved wrong and I’ve said where we are now in the league is where we will finish because once again we’re <ovf censored> away from home. Very disappointed away from home this season it’s a good job we’re brilliant at home or we would be 15th 

1 hour ago, Ben Stevens said:

I didn't say we woud definitely lose to Accrington, I just said the tie would not have been as easy as you were making out.  I don't believe Askey threw the towel in, I believe he picked a team which he thought would win the game.  He was wrong because the players did not play anywhere near their capabilities.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

On 08/01/2020 at 15:11, Ben Stevens said:

Well well well that was absolutely diabolical from John Askey and Port Vale FC last night.... why play S. Brown, Montano, Smith, Joyce, Gibbons and I would squeeze Atkinson into our First Team bracket to then rest virtually your whole Midfield and Strike force ?? The players I’ve mentioned still played at Man City so why do the rest of them need time off for a whole 90 mins ?? Personally I’m very disappointed with the Midfield more than anything.... I understand changes had to be made but Jesus to completely uproot your Engine which is our Midfield is a ludicrous decision from Askey... playing Bennet wide ?? Wtf is he doing there anyway... rather see Crookes in the back four and Montano out wide if we desperately needed to drop Amoo or Worrall... Conlon was absolute Garbage, Atkinson tried his best to carry a Weak as Piss Midfield but obviously can’t on his own... Archer coming on for a poor on the night Rhys Browne out wide ??? Wtf is he doing our wide for a start and where the hell is this player people bang on about in Archer because he’s <ovf censored> on the ball and slow... Cullen is a lot of running but no end product due to his height like I’ve said all season.... All in all it was a absolute dire performance from which I hope I never see at least 4/5 of the finge players pull a vale shirt on again... personally we need loan out at least 4 of them and bring in fresh faces with more fire in the belly. I’ve saud all season when you look past our regular 15/16 players your left wanting and it was exactly that last night..... £40,000 prize money gone and a potential Wembley day out gone as well at the same time... might be a poor trophy but it’s the only one we would ever have any chance of winning if we took it more seriously than that last night.... we had a better team out against Mansfield the round before so can’t understand why we even bothered trying get through against Mansfield to absolutely piss it up the wall away at Salford and an extra game ?? Ridiculous.... Oh forgot as well Brisley needs sending back Notts County because he definitely ain’t a league player very very poor and weak as piss if we get an injury to Legge or Smith vale are a bit screwed at the moment hence we need fresh faces in January if we want a top 7 finish or which I think we won’t finish there anyway. My prediction is 9th to 12th and I stand by my prediction 

You ok hun?

13 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

You ok hun?

Perfectly fine thank you just not happy about us throwing the towel in on the EFL Trophy 🏆 a tournament we should be looking to win and another chance of an extra possible £150,000 - £200,000 for the club from the remaining games in the competition... I’m mainly angry over the fact Askey put Richie Bennett on the left wing ??? Wtf is that going to do when he’s a striker ? It needed at least 3 regular midfielders to be either playing the first 45 mins then rested for the second half or the opposite way around. I’m sick and tired of seeing is throw the towel in on this competition the only cup we could ever have chance of winning and to see Port Vale FC go to the new Wembley as we are one of only 6/7 league one/two clubs to not play there ! For me Worrall should have started out wide instead of Bennett especially when Dave actually lives in Manchester so it’s not exactly putting him out his way and all this cobblers about tired legs they have had three days recovery so don’t have them in on training on Monday then ?? Gathering no body thinks that players are still training on the Monday and Tuesday with these knackered legs.. sorry but these lads are athletes and should be ok with Saturday to Tuesday games at a competitive level. I agree with changes but to completely uproot the Midfield just knocked us out the cup to a poor Salford City side that will be in the bottom 8 this season. Sorry but I was at the Etihad and I was here as well I don’t care if it’s FA cup against Top level or EFL against garbage I expect a lot more than that what was served up. I’m a man that works game from game and that one was awful to watch. Plus I will say this as well which sounds crazy but it’s true. We have won ONE game in the league since middle of November so we ain’t this promotion team everyone talking about unless we spend in January or bring in QUALITY loan signings.... an extra bit of money would have helped this. So great we got a plum tie against Man City so all them stay away so called vale fans can have there Ten yearly day out with the club and see a loyal set of supporters like me and the lads sit in the home end because of it... but I’m a realist and personally would have give all of that up to win a trophy and a talking point for the rest of our vale life’s as does the AutoGlass trophy and the LDV Trophy still do to this day... don’t see many fans talking about when Liverpool stuck 3 past us at Vale park after we drew 2-2 away at Anfield... they do talk about the Everton 2-1 win because guess what... it was a win... just my opinion and I stand by if we don’t sign in January we won’t go up this season which ain’t a given even if we do because yet again we get thrashed away from home 

Archived