onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: EFLT R3 Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

I think Will Atkinson's comments tells you all that you need to know about the mentality of a lot of professional footballers, viz we don't really give a toss, and whatever happens we'll still get paid

🎥 | “Back down to earth with a bang, but it’s one of those things, it’s football” Will Atkinson disappointed to not progress in the @LeasingcomTrphy but insists on keeping heads up for a quick response.

Advert

19 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I think Will Atkinson's comments tells you all that you need to know about the mentality of a lot of professional footballers, viz we don't really give a toss, and whatever happens we'll still get paid

🎥 | “Back down to earth with a bang, but it’s one of those things, it’s football” Will Atkinson disappointed to not progress in the @LeasingcomTrphy but insists on keeping heads up for a quick response.

Bit over the top to read in to it that he doesn’t give a toss. It is football, you can go from one high to a crushing low. If the players dwelt on any defeat too much then they’d never pick themselves up for the next game.  The right mentality is to forget about it as soon as possible but learn from it and be ready for the next game. 

23 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Bit over the top to read in to it that he doesn’t give a toss. It is football, you can go from one high to a crushing low. If the players dwelt on any defeat too much then they’d never pick themselves up for the next game.  The right mentality is to forget about it as soon as possible but learn from it and be ready for the next game. 

Spot on. Don't see anything wrong in those comments. Dust ourselves down and hopefully get 4 or 6 points from next 2 games 

Not one for snap reactions so reserved my judgement until now.

Last night was absolutely garbage.  The lads who were left in the team from Saturday were knackered, and was probably a game to far for them.  Now that's not to say that they are exempt from criticism, however I find it difficult to do so following a mammoth effort on Saturday.

I get that it is difficult coming into a team after making changes, probably don't understand how difficult as I'm not a professional footballer, however there is no excuse for a lack of effort and endeavour.  For example, Monty was clearly blowing, after all he had the job of shackling Bernardo Silva on Saturday, however he gave everything he had for the cause.

One that did not in my opinion was Rhys Browne.  I'd have thought that following a couple of great cameos from the bench he would be the one to get hold of this game and really stake a claim, but unfortunately he looked like he'd just lost a bet and the forfeit was to play!  Totally disinterested and looked 2 yards off the pace for me, really poor effort.

Atkinson and Conlon were industrious, both worked hard, but I have to agree that we really do lack impetus in the middle of park without the two young lads in there.

Cullen tried manfully, but like Browne, looked 2 yards off the pace for me.  Wouldn't get another contract.

Bennett was poor, worked hard but an Scott Wiseman won't have many easier nights. If we can get another forward, he'd be transfer listed.

Brisley got bullied by Rooney and Lloyd, who were both s**thouses, but were at the heart of everything good that Salford did.  Poor.

If JA didn't have his mind made up about one or two, I think that last night may well have helped his thinking.....onto Stevenage on Saturday!

UTV!

It wasn’t the same team as the Man City game though. Funny you think players have made it off the back of one game, what a complete load of rubbish and just another sweeping statement to slag them all off.  The majority of the lads who came in last night did themselves no justice all but the ones who played on Saturday didn’t play that badly at all, but they can’t do it themselves. 

Two things that was key last night after the day out all the club staff players and fans had Saturday was;

1- could askey somehow manage to get these fringe players up to the job on a Tuesday night in front of 500 fans?

2- could the players manage to get themselves up for it. Probably thinking “I didn’t play Saturday but I’ve got play here instead”

answer- none of them managed to do it and turned in an awful performance and we’ve lost the Chance to make a few more quid and much needed to go into the funds for summer when we need 3/4 good key players if we are to think about the top 7. I can’t see carol chucking much in for the manager at all because she hasn’t got it and the cup money will get used somewhere else no doubt. So a missed chance last night. 

I had a feeling this performance would happen after Saturday and with the resting of 6 first team players. The fringe players aren’t good enough when you throw 6/7 in like that at once. We can all understand that but the lack of effort and the manager and staff not getting them up for it is poor. 

let’s see if the rest was worth losing money for last night and we go and win the next two league games. Wonder if Askey can get them motivated for these games? 

Well well well that was absolutely diabolical from John Askey and Port Vale FC last night.... why play S. Brown, Montano, Smith, Joyce, Gibbons and I would squeeze Atkinson into our First Team bracket to then rest virtually your whole Midfield and Strike force ?? The players I’ve mentioned still played at Man City so why do the rest of them need time off for a whole 90 mins ?? Personally I’m very disappointed with the Midfield more than anything.... I understand changes had to be made but Jesus to completely uproot your Engine which is our Midfield is a ludicrous decision from Askey... playing Bennet wide ?? Wtf is he doing there anyway... rather see Crookes in the back four and Montano out wide if we desperately needed to drop Amoo or Worrall... Conlon was absolute Garbage, Atkinson tried his best to carry a Weak as Piss Midfield but obviously can’t on his own... Archer coming on for a poor on the night Rhys Browne out wide ??? Wtf is he doing our wide for a start and where the hell is this player people bang on about in Archer because he’s <ovf censored> on the ball and slow... Cullen is a lot of running but no end product due to his height like I’ve said all season.... All in all it was a absolute dire performance from which I hope I never see at least 4/5 of the finge players pull a vale shirt on again... personally we need loan out at least 4 of them and bring in fresh faces with more fire in the belly. I’ve saud all season when you look past our regular 15/16 players your left wanting and it was exactly that last night..... £40,000 prize money gone and a potential Wembley day out gone as well at the same time... might be a poor trophy but it’s the only one we would ever have any chance of winning if we took it more seriously than that last night.... we had a better team out against Mansfield the round before so can’t understand why we even bothered trying get through against Mansfield to absolutely piss it up the wall away at Salford and an extra game ?? Ridiculous.... Oh forgot as well Brisley needs sending back Notts County because he definitely ain’t a league player very very poor and weak as piss if we get an injury to Legge or Smith vale are a bit screwed at the moment hence we need fresh faces in January if we want a top 7 finish or which I think we won’t finish there anyway. My prediction is 9th to 12th and I stand by my prediction 

Well well well that was absolutely diabolical from John Askey and Port Vale FC last night.... why play S. Brown, Montano, Smith, Joyce, Gibbons and I would squeeze Atkinson into our First Team bracket to then rest virtually your whole Midfield and Strike force ?? The players I’ve mentioned still played at Man City so why do the rest of them need time off for a whole 90 mins ?? Personally I’m very disappointed with the Midfield more than anything.... I understand changes had to be made but Jesus to completely uproot your Engine which is our Midfield is a ludicrous decision from Askey... playing Bennet wide ?? Wtf is he doing there anyway... rather see Crookes in the back four and Montano out wide if we desperately needed to drop Amoo or Worrall... Conlon was absolute Garbage, Atkinson tried his best to carry a Weak as Piss Midfield but obviously can’t on his own... Archer coming on for a poor on the night Rhys Browne out wide ??? Wtf is he doing our wide for a start and where the hell is this player people bang on about in Archer because he’s on the ball and slow... Cullen is a lot of running but no end product due to his height like I’ve said all season.... All in all it was a absolute dire performance from which I hope I never see at least 4/5 of the finge players pull a vale shirt on again... personally we need loan out at least 4 of them and bring in fresh faces with more fire in the belly. I’ve saud all season when you look past our regular 15/16 players your left wanting and it was exactly that last night..... £40,000 prize money gone and a potential Wembley day out gone as well at the same time... might be a poor trophy but it’s the only one we would ever have any chance of winning if we took it more seriously than that last night.... we had a better team out against Mansfield the round before so can’t understand why we even bothered trying get through against Mansfield to absolutely piss it up the wall away at Salford and an extra game ?? Ridiculous.... Oh forgot as well Brisley needs sending back Notts County because he definitely ain’t a league player very very poor and weak as piss if we get an injury to Legge or Smith vale are a bit screwed at the moment hence we need fresh faces in January if we want a top 7 finish or which I think we won’t finish there anyway. My prediction is 9th to 12th and I stand by my prediction 
Crooks isn't fit. He was at the Etihad, and was clearly limping.

I think Askey needs to come up with a style of play to counteract the Park football approach adopted by Salford,Stevenage and others. Obvs if you have better players you can get more movement but these donkey teams are beating us by stopping us playing there needs to be a plan. Crewe seem to manage it but we don’t.... perhaps they’re just better

Giving it to Brown and getting hm to lump it doesn’t work either. 
We were bad last night but Salford made us look worse.

If you take your 2 topscorers out in Pope and taylor and your 2 best assisters amoo and worrall then most teams would struggle. The fringe players some of them arnt good enough but I think some of them are good enough its just they arnt match fit as they arnt getting any game time due to not entering the reserve league. 

13 minutes ago, JohnJames said:

I think Askey needs to come up with a style of play to counteract the Park football approach adopted by Salford,Stevenage and others. Obvs if you have better players you can get more movement but these donkey teams are beating us by stopping us playing there needs to be a plan. Crewe seem to manage it but we don’t.... perhaps they’re just better

Would like to think JJ  that our  first team would have done better, however none of our fringe players really covered themselves in glory.  Surprised me as thought they would be chomping at the bit with a point to prove having been frozen out of the first team squad. Makes it easy for Askey as cant see many of those players coming knocking at his door for a first team shirt. Can imagine several will be released / moved on.

2 hours ago, JohnJames said:

Askey only has one game plan.

Playing one up front no matter if we are playing Swindon or Stevenage.

So we don’t need another striker to warm the bench.

I am sure if Cullen was played correctly to feed off Pope rather than a lone striker he would score goals. Lee Hughes did it for Mickey.

Really talk of bringing half a dozen players in in January is silly because any player is going to be expensive and the decent ones who are playing regularly won’t give up a decent contract unless offered silly money.

Best to tread water and consolidate ready to strengthen the squad in the summer to give it a real go to get promoted.

Even if we did manage to get up from the play offs we would struggle to stay up without throwing money at it to stay up.

It is obvious that given injuries and suspensions we really haven’t got the squad players who can step up to the mark when given the chance.

Poor squad player signings early instead of waiting for recognised league players means we are carrying a few passengers who need moving on to pastures new.

Archived