onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: EFLT R3 Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

15 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Wouldn't argue with anything you say there Boslem. This season is not the time to blow cash on the play-offs. We are way off in terns of squad depth. There is a need more for a bit of a clear out. 

There were several tonight that demonstrated just why they do not deserve a new contract. Because - they are not good enough. Plain for all to see.

I do agree, but we can shake it up by getting a few out to free up funds without spending the FA cup cash. If Cullen and Archer went out on loan, we surely can bring in a better Striker.

I certainly don’t think we should spend big in January, but it needs a bit of wheeling and dealing to freshen things up. 

Advert

I think Cullen could do a job, but not in the system we play. Archer and Bennett are hopeless. Bennett has a shot on him but does bugger all else. Archer... done nothing. Conlon, never rated him, and has gone backward. Browne, was terrible tonight. Even Brisley was dodgey. 

Maybe as Sage says lack of reserve games does not help. But that was our choice. It was the sheer lack of  ability and energy from these fringe lads that disappointed me.

I'm not in the business of slagging off our players, just the way I saw it.

5 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I haven't seen the game so it's hard for me to comment. Only the radio and bits and pieces from friends.

But I've said all along that I think it's a mistake not playing reserve games regularly. Players not in the first XI very quickly lose match sharpness and it takes a while to get that back. So all the lads who came in from the cold were almost on a hiding to nothing, notwithstanding the point that you would hope they wanted to impress and force their way into the squad for Saturday. But it's hard.

We do lack height and strength - throughout the team, not just at centre half with no Legge.

Ideally I'd like to see 2-3 new faces this month but we might have to wait until the summer. Certainly a fit Oyeleke would help us, as would a solid left back and some more height/power in the team.

After the lord mayor's show, I guess. Not totally surprised but I expected us to do better than 0-3.

A very disappointed night but we move and on and have to look forward. Plenty to play for still.

As per usual The Sage sums it up pretty well, not being a professional footballer but I don't know how difficult it is to come into a side and play at the required intensity but it must be difficult,only required every now and again.

If Askey had played Saturdays side and we lost he would have been hammered so he makes changes and he is hammered,this season is far better than last season and keeping things in perspective is required.

Frustrated how we performed, plus 40 grand thrown away, but the hectic schedule and shallow squad caught up with us tonight.

Too many changes, none of whom made a telling contribution. Rather than play themselves into the thoughts of the management team, they conspired to make the decision to recall the rested players into the team an easy one next Saturday.

Salford looked there for the taking but still looked much more of a threat than we did.  

We can fully focus on the league now.  Hopefully with a couple of players added to push us on.

Harsh comments on Cullen, I agree with toyahw.  He needs to play in a front two but Askey seems stuck on this 'front 3' formation. Ok it works in fits and starts but we've also been dire with it in other games(Stevenage, Oldham, Walsall at home) I'd be interested to see him from the start with Pope but this never seems to be even considered?  The bloke can score goals as he's proved coming off the bench a couple of times.  Didn't play well tonight but tbh who did!?  The service to him wasn't exactly great!

Also this talk of signing another striker is complete folly as Askey simply won't play more than 1 out and out striker.  What's the point signing another for them to just warm the bench like Cullen and Archer do?

Conlon is having a shocking season, as someone commented on the previous page Taylor and Burgess are far better as a partnership compared with what we had last season.

We all already knew that Cullen couldn't play as a lone striker in Askey's favoured system*, but tonight Askey took the opportunity to press that fact home for the full 90 minutes.

If he and Bennett swapped, then at least in theory the ball might stick and Cullen could make some runs from deep and some balls laid into him.

Bennett had a wretched game by the way. I've tried to be constructive about him but he didn't help himself tonight. He looked like he was blowing from quite early on as well.

Overall, very few players impressed. The only saving grace is that hopefully JA learned a few things about his fringe players.

*which, incidentally, is 4-1-4-1. Askey might say that we play a 4-3-3 but I don't buy it.

Couldn’t believe how awful Browne was tonight on a side note, he was excellent against Argyle and Cheltenham for example but tonight he either ran into trouble, ran the ball out of play or had the touch of a Rhino.

Inconsistent maybe and the tiny pitch seemed to be a problem as we kept running it out of play but Browne I thought would cover Amoo or Worrall when out but needs to put a lot more in than that.

Didn’t think Conlon was too bad, he tried at least and Archer had a good run to set Cullen up.

At the moment now we are out I struggle to see where some of the squad are going to get game time so maybe now worth moving a couple out be it on loan or permanently.

I’d rather get four or five out and have the wages free to get a couple of quality additions to challenge for a place now.

2 hours ago, PVFC764 said:

Think you can say - Brown, Gibbo, Smith have played well.  Monty, Joyce and Atkinson have tried.  The rest have just not tried to  force their way into JA and Co's thoughts for saturday.

I think it also shows that the 4-3-3 just does not work without energy in the midfield. Conlon (despite the criticism he gets) looks like his position is probably going to be holding midfield as he doesn’t have the energy to get about and look like getting a goal. Atkinson tried and didn’t have that bad a game, but it’s probably fair to say he doesn’t have the legs either that players like Burgess and Taylor give us. I’ve been critical of Bennett as I’m convinced he’s going through the motions, I’ve not changed that opinion and that’s exactly what he looked to be doing tonight, token efforts in going for a header, no desire to get back in the second half when he gave the ball away for the third. Just terrible. We Also have no cover for smith or Legge, maybe it was lack of game time but brisley looked rusty beyond belief. The majority of the squad that came in with the regulars looked way off it, maybe one or 2 would fit in and maybe it’s the fact that it was wholesale changes that didn’t help.... but the bare minimum we ask for is a shift in the shirt and I’m not some of them can say they did t

4 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

I am glad that that's the end of the if that. I hope the shittiest teams reach the final and play it out in front of 8k fans. The sooner that this comp gets back to normal the sooner we can take 40k in gate receipts. The competition died a few years ago so I am not at bothered that we are out. 

Same here Steve. According to the official website 630 punters turned out for this game - compared to 52,433 at last Saturday's F.A. Cup match.

Sorry we lost, but at least now JA can focus entirely on our League status.

They do say that you learn more from a defeat, well after last nights fiasco JA should have learned plenty! Our fringe players in the main are just not good enough and those that were advocating Bennett, Cullen and Archer as better options than Tom Pope were taught a stern lesson last night. My only hesitation being Cullen could and I repeat could be an option along side Popey. That said it would be nice to get in a better 2nd striker in the summer.

The managers insistence on playing one up front doesn't work regardless of the nonsense of saying it's a front three. I say this because I've seen Tom isolated far too many times over the past couple of seasons to swallow the front three rubbish.

I think the best way forward in Vale's case would be a squad of 20 decent players without umpteen that simply aren't up to the mark. I hate it when we put out an understrength team simply because we don't have many decent replacements.

Lets get real a lean, mean and competitive small squad is our best option and leave the squad rotation until we are in the Champions League!!

35 minutes ago, old sage said:

They do say that you learn more from a defeat, well after last nights fiasco JA should have learned plenty! Our fringe players in the main are just not good enough and those that were advocating Bennett, Cullen and Archer as better options than Tom Pope were taught a stern lesson last night. My only hesitation being Cullen could and I repeat could be an option along side Popey. That said it would be nice to get in a better 2nd striker in the summer.

The managers insistence on playing one up front doesn't work regardless of the nonsense of saying it's a front three. I say this because I've seen Tom isolated far too many times over the past couple of seasons to swallow the front three rubbish.

I think the best way forward in Vale's case would be a squad of 20 decent players without umpteen that simply aren't up to the mark. I hate it when we put out an understrength team simply because we don't have many decent replacements.

Lets get real a lean, mean and competitive small squad is our best option and leave the squad rotation until we are in the Champions League!!

Fair enough.

But how do you propose keeping fringe players match sharp when they don't play?

Your earlier post about not having reserve fixtures alludes to this.

I think it's a serious problem, especially when half the team are below match fitness as last night.

8 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I think it also shows that the 4-3-3 just does not work without energy in the midfield. Conlon (despite the criticism he gets) looks like his position is probably going to be holding midfield as he doesn’t have the energy to get about and look like getting a goal. 

Conlon had one of our two attempts on target against Manchester City...

Archived