onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: EFLT R3 Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Since when is Bennett ever a left winger? It was painful trying to watch him and Archer trying to play out wide.

I also think the signings of Taylor and Burgess has proved how poor Conlon really is in comparison.

We need some quality signings if we are to trouble the play offs. Goals are needed. 

Advert

Toyahw - feel sorry for the regular players tonight - at least they tried.

The fringe players were just not there.  Either we need to get more game time for them or they are not good enough and that is why they are still fringe players - if that is the reason, then get rid of them on loan and replace them with players who can try to push the first team regulars.  

1 minute ago, Fosse69 said:

Spare a thought for  the 287 hardy Vale souls who made up the 630 attendance.

Must be mental. But seriously, all the goodwill that came from the City game, 8000+ away fans, decent following tonight and we serve up that rubbish. So bl**dy frustrating Vale!!!

I’m annoyed players haven’t really said “pick me” to JA with that effort and Salford looked a poor outfit too.

We looked so flat, but I guess best to get it out the way tonight rather than have the come down Saturday.

It’s a bit embarrassing losing to Salford 3-0 though. Literally the dog and duck with some cash.

Games have taken their toll a bit and hopefully the rest for the majority of the first XI will do them good to try and keep the season alive as long as possible in the league.

Does seem a missed opportunity but the game sadly came at the wrong time.

Looks like it shows how our squad.

There is a player in Cullen but its not working at Vale yet. Not sure why, perhaps it's as simple as regular game time. 

A few of them really are there to make up the numbers - but you can't have 20 players all first teamers.

Typical of Vale - play a cracking game once in a while.  Then another game you think the fringe players will be up for - a team not having a good run at the moment and only part of the team turn up and play.  Other players go missing.

You can say Bennett and Browne can't play on the wing, so why put them there, others would say no matter where they play they cant play there either.

A good chance to get to Wembley and earn the club some more money, give the fans a day out in London and the side went missing.  Is it the pressure of this chance may be - we are 3 games away from a cracking day out?

Watched that on ifollow, and it was absolutely awful. 

Few observations:

We are very weak from set-pieces without Legge. We need a dominant CH as back up, as if Legge gets injured we are in big trouble.

I don’t think Cullen is the answer and never will be. He’s had half a season to get fit and he still looks off the pace. Doesn’t fit into our system and won’t score goals consistently. I’m afraid his best days are behind him and we probably should send him out on loan for the sake of his own career. 

I’m close to saying the above about Bennett as well, however he was playing on the left (which he should never play again) so I’ll keep my power dry for now. However, he was very poor tonight.

Joyce and Atkinson shouldn’t play in the same team. We lose the energy that has made us competitive this season.

In summary, I was so disappointed with how toothless we looked. Don’t think we would have scored if we played all night. We desperately need a striker, and that would be my number one priority in January. There must be someone out there better than what we’ve got! 

I think it was the manner of defeat that disappointed me so much tonight. I hope it gives everyone a wake up call and forces Askey’s hand to shake it up this month. 

2 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Few observations:

We are very weak from set-pieces without Legge. We need a dominant CH as back up, as if Legge gets injured we are in big trouble.

I don’t think Cullen is the answer and never will be. He’s had half a season to get fit and he still looks off the pace. Doesn’t fit into our system and won’t score goals consistently. I’m afraid his best days are behind him and we probably should send him out on loan for the sake of his own career. 

I’m close to saying the above about Bennett as well, however he was playing on the left (which he should never play again) so I’ll keep my power dry for now. However, he was very poor tonight.

Joyce and Atkinson shouldn’t play in the same team. We lose the energy that has made us competitive this season.

In summary, I was so disappointed with how toothless we looked. Don’t think we would have scored if we played all night. We desperately need a striker, and that would be my number one priority in January. There must be someone out there better than what we’ve got! 

I think it was the manner of defeat that disappointed me so much tonight. I hope it gives everyone a wake up call and forces Askey’s hand to shake it up this month. 

Your instincts are right, Bennett is crap and can go for me. I had a different view of him vs Macc and I felt we might as well have been playing with 10 men. I would say a striker is more of a necessity than a left back now, especially if Pope gets a further ban (don’t even start me on the sheer lunacy of that).

2 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Few observations:

Wouldn't argue with anything you say there Boslem. This season is not the time to blow cash on the play-offs. We are way off in terns of squad depth. There is a need more for a bit of a clear out. 

There were several tonight that demonstrated just why they do not deserve a new contract. Because - they are not good enough. Plain for all to see.

Boslem's Brazil - summed it up.  It was the manner we lost that hurts tonight.  I can put up with us loosing - but not when a lot of the players did not try.

One of the guys said - do the players actually want to play as they know they will not make the squad on saturday.  Well this was your chance to make the saturday squad you numpties.  The rested players must be thinking, god I am a dead cert for saturday now.  

I haven't seen the game so it's hard for me to comment. Only the radio and bits and pieces from friends.

But I've said all along that I think it's a mistake not playing reserve games regularly. Players not in the first XI very quickly lose match sharpness and it takes a while to get that back. So all the lads who came in from the cold were almost on a hiding to nothing, notwithstanding the point that you would hope they wanted to impress and force their way into the squad for Saturday. But it's hard.

We do lack height and strength - throughout the team, not just at centre half with no Legge.

Ideally I'd like to see 2-3 new faces this month but we might have to wait until the summer. Certainly a fit Oyeleke would help us, as would a solid left back and some more height/power in the team.

After the lord mayor's show, I guess. Not totally surprised but I expected us to do better than 0-3.

A very disappointed night but we move and on and have to look forward. Plenty to play for still.

18 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Your instincts are right, Bennett is crap and can go for me. I had a different view of him vs Macc and I felt we might as well have been playing with 10 men. I would say a striker is more of a necessity than a left back now, especially if Pope gets a further ban (don’t even start me on the sheer lunacy of that).

I’ve being saying it all season, don’t know how he managed to score five. Panic signing by JA early in the summer. You look at Bennett and you think yes, he looks the part, until the ball gets in a 5 feet radius of him. He doesn’t try and has no physical ability on the ground or in the air. I’d get him off the wage bill and put the money into the Jake Taylor transfer kitty.

Archived