Fosse69

Match Thread : FAC3 Manchester City v Port Vale

Just back from a really good day out. Well organised official coaches, no hassle journey, and there in plenty of time to get the nicest chips and curry sauce from Tony’s chippy!

We played very well and the back four was excellent as was Brown, but I thought Joyce was superb. 

I agree with another poster that rather than Foden, it was David Silva who actually ran the show. Outstanding player, football just comes easy to the guy. I also thought the No 12 was very dangerous, hugging the touch line. 

City were very welcoming and a mention of the steward on block 213 who welcomed and chatted to everyone and took the odd snap for people, nice to see.

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed by the atmosphere. You could tell that there were probably 4-5,000 day trippers amongst our support given our dreadful repertoire of songs and for me it didn’t come close to Crewe away. 

I don’t think the atmosphere is not helped by the style of football, given City’s level ball retention, which borders on being a little tedious at times,

Adide from obviously the cash windfall, I hope Vale learned something today around  moving theb ball more quickly.

Edited by Biddulph_PV

14 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Just made the mistake of reading the Blue Moon forum.  What a bunch of absolutely arrogant tossers they are on there.

Got the same impression from a few (not all) City fans on the way back, and on the train.

"Enjoy your day out?"

"Was that your cup final?"

Might be weird but I couldn't sit in a soulless bowl miles out of the city, not a pub in sight, and watch sterile possession football ad infinitum, all funded by the most morally bankrupt nation state on the planet, being used purely as a PR exercise by a nation that executes homosexuals and promotes terrorism.

Their football was utterly tedious today; I used to be a massive fan of Guardiola but give me Klopp's energetic brand any time. Its as conservative as Pulis, with better technical players. Complete risk-aversion. Not an ounce of energy or excitment about it. Hope Liverpool hold out for the title.

I thought Bernardo Silva and Foden looked good, but I forgot David Silva played bar his open-goal miss and Aguero is amongst the most profligate forwards I've witnessed, bundled home tap in aside.

Their starting XI cost £225.4 million pounds from what I can gather, as well as at least an extra £100m on the bench in the form of Walker, Sterling, Mahrez, and Jesus, funnelled in by Saudi Arabia who are desperate to look 'not evil' on the global stage. All to require a deflected long-shot and Mike Dean in a caravan with a VAR computer to see off a club who literally nearly liquidated 8 months ago.

Obviously I'm being slightly hyperbolic; they passed it around nicely at times and the staff were lovely but I've completely u-turned on a club I always had down as a second team since Pep arrived.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Just made the mistake of reading the Blue Moon forum.  What a bunch of absolutely arrogant tossers they are on there.

Browsing through the various press reports, I found this little gem from Terry Carter, a City fan, written in a national newspaper before the game:

"I have to say that my eyes this evening will be on the Pope character.  He must be some player if he can criticise  someone who has played 39 times for his country and has a fistful of top class medals.

Popes Wiki shows that he would not have got in any City XI even when we played Port Vale in our lowermost point and we used to buy 'big pudding' centre forwards.

The fact he was shown the door by  Crewe (yes Crewe Alex) for a lack of professionalism is interesting in that he still has that lack.

Fernandihno will give him a reality check in the first 10 minutes, perhaps even Stones will have the proverbial 'word'."

A really ungracious and patronising comment on Tom, lacking in any humour or perspective, of which the said Mr Carter should be thoroughly ashamed.

And there I was, thinking it was an isolated comment. At least Popey made him eat his words.

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Thanks 1

Also; thats a goal and 3 assists in his last 5 for the Amoo critics.

He doesn't like tackling but he's a decent winger.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

The fact he was shown the door by  Crewe (yes Crewe Alex) for a lack of professionalism is interesting in that he still has that lack.

Was that when he was "shown the door" because they'd sold him for £150,000 to Rotherham?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a day. Fantastic from everyone connected to the club. 

The players were magnificent to a man. John Askeys game plan was spot on and the fans were superb, even the day trippers.

Lets not get hung up on day trippers. It’s always been the way and is the same for every club. When we’ve been to Wembley/Cardiff, we suddenly acquire another 30,000 fans, as do most.

Whilst I think Pep is a class act in every respect, I would be bored stiff to be a City fan. The stadium is unreal but to me it’s not proper football. Proper football is turning up, not knowing whether you’ll win or lose. Promotions & relegations. Unexpected cup runs. Not sitting there expecting to win every game, swooning at the latest £60m signing who earns more in a month than you will in a lifetime. No thanks.

For me, the real big English clubs are Utd & Liverpool. Always have and always will be. City are only up there because of dirty foreign money. If that money were withdrawn tomorrow, City would be a yo-yo Premier League/Championship team. 

Jacko did the same went on blue moon on match thread, moaning about Liverpool moaning about pope, moaning about pretty much most things.

tbh used to like them as they had great support in lower leagues and always in the shadow of utd, but it seems they have gone from where they have and forgotten the journey they have made to now expecting it, arrogance has set in although im sure some of the older support are still living the dream. 

the prem clubs get the money , are allowed to take our youngster for a pittance ,,probably pay teenagers much more than our highest earners meaning we would struggle to sign even if let go...they have everything handed to them ,, 

Due to their 1.3 billion investment over a 12 yr period we shouldn't even rattle their cage as they are serial winners over the last few years whereby we have nearly gone out the league due to a dodgy owner and at our lowest ebb whilst they enjoy their highest cycle.

Well done vale and our fans I would love to one day watch us in the premier lge like Bournemouth,wigan etc but I wouldn't want us to forget our roots and who we are as that just kinda makes u false/plastic.

• Like 3

Incredible night and we scored the goal of the night as well. Not just the quality of Popes header but the passing football (10-12 passes) from our own box to score it. Pep would of admired that.

Better than expected result wise and Brown wasn’t exactly stretched. We defended like trojans and that moment we equalised can never ever be taken away from me.

Fans top drawer!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Got the same impression from a few (not all) City fans on the way back, and on the train.

"Enjoy your day out?"

"Was that your cup final?"

Might be weird but I couldn't sit in a soulless bowl miles out of the city, not a pub in sight, and watch sterile possession football ad infinitum, all funded by the most morally bankrupt nation state on the planet, being used purely as a PR exercise by a nation that executes homosexuals and promotes terrorism.

Their football was utterly tedious today; I used to be a massive fan of Guardiola but give me Klopp's energetic brand any time. Its as conservative as Pulis, with better technical players. Complete risk-aversion. Not an ounce of energy or excitment about it. Hope Liverpool hold out for the title.

I thought Bernardo Silva and Foden looked good, but I forgot David Silva played bar his open-goal miss and Aguero is amongst the most profligate forwards I've witnessed, bundled home tap in aside.

Their starting XI cost £225.4 million pounds from what I can gather, as well as at least an extra £100m on the bench in the form of Walker, Sterling, Mahrez, and Jesus, funnelled in by Saudi Arabia who are desperate to look 'not evil' on the global stage. All to require a deflected long-shot and Mike Dean in a caravan with a VAR computer to see off a club who literally nearly liquidated 8 months ago.

Obviously I'm being slightly hyperbolic; they passed it around nicely at times and the staff were lovely but I've completely u-turned on a club I always had down as a second team since Pep arrived.

Manchester City are owned by the rulers of the United Arab Emirates, not Saudi Arabia. A bit like calling a Scotsman an Englishman I suppose.

I listen to the 606 podcasts every week and Manchester City seen to have their fair share of tossers, as do every club. Last season they were saying they're not bothered about Europe and just want domestic domination, this season they're moaned about Liverpool being top, blaming VAR, then saying Liverpool fans are arrogant for thinking they've already won it, and now they've run out of excuses. Annoys me how they like to portray themselves both as the elite footballing force in this country and yet also pretend to still be the charming "little" local club they possibly once were.

I've always been bored by Pep's style of football and hated the way pundits would drool over his Barcelona team. But fair play to him for going to Germany and England and getting huge success there, even if he does always have huge resources behind him and the Champions League has so far eluded him outside of Barcelona. But though I don't personally like his footballing style you still have to give him all the credit in the world for his success and the way he improves players with his coaching.

• Like 1

Pope's header was quality.

I’d also like to say what a nice touch it was from Carol getting on the official coaches to speak to the fans, also the family for waving the coaches off as they left Synectics car park. 🙏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, White Knight said:

Sat in block 309 of the east stand. Away end looked and sounded amazing.

Must have been 30 to 40 vale fans going mad when Pope scored a few getting ejected.

Great day out.

Only 30 to 40 vale fans going mad???

5 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

Can anyone think of a Vale game or even been to a Vale game where there has been a higher attendance? 

Was was thinking this myself, I can’t think of one.

great day out and we'll always have those 10 minutes where it was 1-1

however 1 small gripe, I didn't like some Vale fans singing you'll never walk alone. Bit small time that. We should have been singing Vale songs and Glad all Over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chopper Harris said:

Can anyone think of a Vale game or even been to a Vale game where there has been a higher attendance? 

My biggest Vale crowd was 54,000 at Wembley for the play off v West Brom. It would have been closer to 80,000 had we not played Stockport at Wembley a week earlier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Pope's header was quality.

I’d also like to say what a nice touch it was from Carol getting on the official coaches to speak to the fans, also the family for waving the coaches off as they left Synectics car park. 🙏

One of those 'thoughtful acts of kindness' RG that gives rise to being very proud of all things Port Vale after years of wandering aimlessly in the football league 😎

• Like 2

What a great result for PORT VALE .

I'm not talking score line.... although considering everything that wasn't bad either.

Just 8 short months ago the shanahans purchased port vale, lock stock and two broken barrels for less than man c paid for a single player. In the doldrums and bereft of hope, a bunch of individual players who couldn't win an argument in solitary confinement. With an annual budget that wouldn't cover a man c top player....... here we are.

Not the finished product be a long long way but in 8 very short months we have made giant steps towards recovery ..... a team who realise there are others on the pitch wearing the same shirt playing for the same club and supporters with hope and excitement instead of depression and dissent.

The biggest step as a club we have made is having owners who actually care.... about the club, the supporters and the community.

Well done the shanahans,  the team for doing their best, the supporters for turning up and doing their bit....... and to PORT VALE football club of the past, present and future...... it certainly looks like we have a future...... it's been in doubt for so long.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, pvfc_loyal said:

great day out and we'll always have those 10 minutes where it was 1-1

however 1 small gripe, I didn't like some Vale fans singing you'll never walk alone. Bit small time that. We should have been singing Vale songs and Glad all Over. 

Totally agree. Didn’t agree with the fans baiting each other and didn’t join in with YNWA. Very small time.

Fair play bantering with Crewe & Stoke fans but can’t understand anyone else, especially a team who plays in a different stratosphere.