onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : FAC3 Manchester City v Port Vale

Fosse69

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I really hope this isn’t true.

I don’t wish to be patronised,  especially by some club who are only enjoying their current success because of monies ploughed into their club by owners who treat money like confetti.

Take what we are entitled to and leave it at that. 

Naively, I didn't realise that Manchester City keep all the hospitality money although it's something I have never thought about, so if  City have given us the gate receipts (Which I doubt) then thats a sporting gesture that should be embraced and shows that at least one of the big club understands the struggle in the lower reaches of the football pyramid and we should accept graciously.

Advert

If its true , great gesture. In comparison  it would be like us playing Leek Town and giving them the gate receipt. As Vale fans would we applaud that as a decent act by our club  , like to think so. As a Vale fan im not offended by Man Citys act quite the reverse. Sure Carol and Kevin wouldn't be sending the money back.

The claim thrown at  Premier clubs is they are only interested in themselves. if the extra money is true then lets not beat Man City up for proving that statement wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see that the attendance at Eastlands today was 39,223 for Citeh’s game against Fulham.

I don’t know the pricing policy for today’s game, but it is interesting to note that 13,000 odd less attended this afternoon’s match than our game there. 

The gate would no doubt have been affected by live terrestrial TV coverage, but the difference still surprising.

4 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Interesting to see that the attendance at Eastlands today was 39,223 for Citeh’s game against Fulham.

I don’t know the pricing policy for today’s game, but it is interesting to note that 13,000 odd less attended this afternoon’s match than our game there. 

The gate would no doubt have been affected by live terrestrial TV coverage, but the difference still surprising.

I appreciate the away following being less due to the greater distance from London and there not being so much cup rivalry between the 2 clubs, 1916 since their last game. Didn't realise the Vale were so attractive though to Citeh fans.

1 minute ago, Fosse69 said:

I appreciate the away following being less due to the greater distance from London and there not being so much cup rivalry between the 2 clubs, 1916 since their last game. Didn't realise the Vale were so attractive though to Citeh fans.

Can understand that not too many Fulham fans would want to be out of the house at 7:30 on a Sunday morning for a future that is not exactly unique for them, is on TV and knowing full well the outcome, followed by a four hour trek back. Having said that,  the world indoor bowls was on BBC2 afterwards, which produced at lot more noise and atmosphere. 

We gave City a much better game than Fulham did. Let’s be honest Fulham, historically are not a big club. Probably smaller than us until Al-Fayed came along. 
In terms of memories for fans, we all have memories of great league tussles with City. 

City fans just remember pasting Fulham last year. 

10 minutes ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I take all points mentioned above.

But if Fulham had taken NO fans ( which they clearly didn’t), then there would  still have been around 5,000 less Citeh fans than against us.

Strange, 

It must be true what our fans chanted - “you’ve only come see the Vale”. 

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

. Let’s be honest Fulham, historically are not a big club. Probably smaller than us until Al-Fayed came along.

Fulham have been in the lower reaches of the leagues through the  80/90’s, but generally have been a top two tier team prior to that and indeed since.

In the 60’s, my father took me to the old Victoria Ground purely to see the country’s first £100 a week footballer Johnny Haynes in an old first division game. So their  relatively recent spell in the lower leagues is the exception rather than the rule.

On a different tack but when El Fayed was trying to get his British passport, he continually flew celebrities into the country to attend Fulham games to try and heighten his profile. 

On one such occasion in the 2000’s I was sat about 10 yards away from Bernard Schwartz in a typically bland Vale 3-1 defeat.

People may know him better as Tony Curtis ! 

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

Well, that depends on how many of the home fans were Vale fans.

It is odd that more Citeh fans turned out against Vale than Fulham I agree.  I just think its circumstantial though.

Ticket prices were the same, so no difference for local fans, blame it being on live TV,  Fulham`s unattractiveness,  and the expectation of an uncompetitive game.

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

On one such occasion in the 2000’s I was sat about 10 yards away from Bernard Schwartz in a typically bland Vale 3-1 defeat.

People may know him better as Tony Curtis

I was at that game and saw Curtis outside the ground in one of those huge ten gallon hats.  He came over to where we were hanging around like groupies outside the main entrance waiting for the Vale team.

You know this idea of six degrees of separation - that you know loads of famous folk through six common acquaintances?  Well it struck me that I knew JFK because I'd met Tony Curtis who'd kissed Marilyn Monroe who'd done rather more than that with the tragic US President!!

28 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I was at that game and saw Curtis outside the ground in one of those huge ten gallon hats.  He came over to where we were hanging around like groupies outside the main entrance waiting for the Vale team.

You know this idea of six degrees of separation - that you know loads of famous folk through six common acquaintances?  Well it struck me that I knew JFK because I'd met Tony Curtis who'd kissed Marilyn Monroe who'd done rather more than that with the tragic US President!!

Oh dear, you also know Trump who sits on the same chair  in the same Oval Office as JFK sat, Clinton`s antics too.

42 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Love it 🤣

Archived