onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : FAC3 Manchester City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

What was most pleasing was we didn't resort to dirty tactics today.

Barely any fouls, no bookings.

When City deigned to give us the ball we tried to knock it about, and our goal was a back to front passing move.

At times it was lump it up, but not through design, just to relieve the pressure.

Fans were spot on too; well-behaved and in full voice.

Its been a week of massive exposure for us and we've come out of it magnficently.

The main problem we could not overcome was the pressing and following that their ball retention. Like Liverpool. The one time we broke the press we scored.

What was most pleasing was we didn't resort to dirty tactics today.
Barely any fouls, no bookings.
When City deigned to give us the ball we tried to knock it about, and our goal was a back to front passing move.
At times it was lump it up, but not through design, just to relieve the pressure.
Fans were spot on too; well-behaved and in full voice.
Its been a week of massive exposure for us and we've come out of it magnficently.

12 minutes ago, Rudgiesflatcap said:

Record attendance: 54,693 (Manchester City vs Leicester City, 6 February 2016)
not far off matching it. If we’d been given more seats I’m sure we’d of took enough. 

The 6 pointer game that gave Leicester the belief they could become champions so probably more corporate etc seats were sold, so a magnificent achievement by the Vale to get so many there.

55 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Great day out with fantastic support and fantastic memories.

Was distinctly unimpressed with City; sterile (technically good), risk-averse football in a soulless bowl with silent fans. Their first effort was going wide till deflected, then two scrappy, VAR influenced goals killed the game.

Well done Vale; a great effort from all and a great earner from the club.

I mentioned this on the last thread but was told I was making it up and hadn't been to games. I felt the same every time I saw them last season. They have quality no doubt, but don't seem to get out of second gear. 

Well done lads you all did us proud today with the effort and commitment. Even in injury time at the end of the game we where still trying to press City in near their own penalty area. Incredible effort.

Lets hope we can now find some consistency in the league....

Just back from a really good day out. Well organised official coaches, no hassle journey, and there in plenty of time to get the nicest chips and curry sauce from Tony’s chippy!

We played very well and the back four was excellent as was Brown, but I thought Joyce was superb. 

I agree with another poster that rather than Foden, it was David Silva who actually ran the show. Outstanding player, football just comes easy to the guy. I also thought the No 12 was very dangerous, hugging the touch line. 

City were very welcoming and a mention of the steward on block 213 who welcomed and chatted to everyone and took the odd snap for people, nice to see.

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed by the atmosphere. You could tell that there were probably 4-5,000 day trippers amongst our support given our dreadful repertoire of songs and for me it didn’t come close to Crewe away. 

I don’t think the atmosphere is not helped by the style of football, given City’s level ball retention, which borders on being a little tedious at times,

Adide from obviously the cash windfall, I hope Vale learned something today around  moving theb ball more quickly.

14 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Just made the mistake of reading the Blue Moon forum.  What a bunch of absolutely arrogant tossers they are on there.

Got the same impression from a few (not all) City fans on the way back, and on the train.

"Enjoy your day out?"

"Was that your cup final?"

Might be weird but I couldn't sit in a soulless bowl miles out of the city, not a pub in sight, and watch sterile possession football ad infinitum, all funded by the most morally bankrupt nation state on the planet, being used purely as a PR exercise by a nation that executes homosexuals and promotes terrorism.

Their football was utterly tedious today; I used to be a massive fan of Guardiola but give me Klopp's energetic brand any time. Its as conservative as Pulis, with better technical players. Complete risk-aversion. Not an ounce of energy or excitment about it. Hope Liverpool hold out for the title.

I thought Bernardo Silva and Foden looked good, but I forgot David Silva played bar his open-goal miss and Aguero is amongst the most profligate forwards I've witnessed, bundled home tap in aside.

Their starting XI cost £225.4 million pounds from what I can gather, as well as at least an extra £100m on the bench in the form of Walker, Sterling, Mahrez, and Jesus, funnelled in by Saudi Arabia who are desperate to look 'not evil' on the global stage. All to require a deflected long-shot and Mike Dean in a caravan with a VAR computer to see off a club who literally nearly liquidated 8 months ago.

Obviously I'm being slightly hyperbolic; they passed it around nicely at times and the staff were lovely but I've completely u-turned on a club I always had down as a second team since Pep arrived.

13 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Just made the mistake of reading the Blue Moon forum.  What a bunch of absolutely arrogant tossers they are on there.

Browsing through the various press reports, I found this little gem from Terry Carter, a City fan, written in a national newspaper before the game:

"I have to say that my eyes this evening will be on the Pope character.  He must be some player if he can criticise  someone who has played 39 times for his country and has a fistful of top class medals.

Popes Wiki shows that he would not have got in any City XI even when we played Port Vale in our lowermost point and we used to buy 'big pudding' centre forwards.

The fact he was shown the door by  Crewe (yes Crewe Alex) for a lack of professionalism is interesting in that he still has that lack.

Fernandihno will give him a reality check in the first 10 minutes, perhaps even Stones will have the proverbial 'word'."

A really ungracious and patronising comment on Tom, lacking in any humour or perspective, of which the said Mr Carter should be thoroughly ashamed.

And there I was, thinking it was an isolated comment. At least Popey made him eat his words.

3 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

The fact he was shown the door by  Crewe (yes Crewe Alex) for a lack of professionalism is interesting in that he still has that lack.

Was that when he was "shown the door" because they'd sold him for £150,000 to Rotherham?

What a day. Fantastic from everyone connected to the club. 

The players were magnificent to a man. John Askeys game plan was spot on and the fans were superb, even the day trippers.

Lets not get hung up on day trippers. It’s always been the way and is the same for every club. When we’ve been to Wembley/Cardiff, we suddenly acquire another 30,000 fans, as do most.

Whilst I think Pep is a class act in every respect, I would be bored stiff to be a City fan. The stadium is unreal but to me it’s not proper football. Proper football is turning up, not knowing whether you’ll win or lose. Promotions & relegations. Unexpected cup runs. Not sitting there expecting to win every game, swooning at the latest £60m signing who earns more in a month than you will in a lifetime. No thanks.

For me, the real big English clubs are Utd & Liverpool. Always have and always will be. City are only up there because of dirty foreign money. If that money were withdrawn tomorrow, City would be a yo-yo Premier League/Championship team. 

Jacko did the same went on blue moon on match thread, moaning about Liverpool moaning about pope, moaning about pretty much most things.

tbh used to like them as they had great support in lower leagues and always in the shadow of utd, but it seems they have gone from where they have and forgotten the journey they have made to now expecting it, arrogance has set in although im sure some of the older support are still living the dream. 

the prem clubs get the money , are allowed to take our youngster for a pittance ,,probably pay teenagers much more than our highest earners meaning we would struggle to sign even if let go...they have everything handed to them ,, 

Due to their 1.3 billion investment over a 12 yr period we shouldn't even rattle their cage as they are serial winners over the last few years whereby we have nearly gone out the league due to a dodgy owner and at our lowest ebb whilst they enjoy their highest cycle.

Well done vale and our fans I would love to one day watch us in the premier lge like Bournemouth,wigan etc but I wouldn't want us to forget our roots and who we are as that just kinda makes u false/plastic.

Archived