onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Your game of the decade?

Portvale4

Similar to most, Burton as a spectacle to take it overall.

Cheltenham on good friday was the first time I really believed it.  To win that game with so many ups and downs was incredible and it summed up Popes season.  

The rotherham home game early doors was magnificent.  After his first full season I'd had 10 quid with a mate that pope wouldnt get more than 8 goals that year.

I paid up after that one.  Must only have been our third home game or somet

Advert

8 hours ago, sandyford_valiant said:

The Doncaster game at home under Rob Page think we won 3-0. It was the best footballing performance I’ve seen for a long day we were unplayable nearly all game and knocked alit about quick and with ease and tore them apart. I’ve not seen a better footballing perform car since. Outstanding that was.

Here's the PVO report on the game.

http://www.portvaleonline.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15725-vale-3-doncaster-0/

• 1 month later...

2010 seems to have been neglected. We went on a nice run at the end of the season before being battered at Bournemouth 4-0 with around 1,000 travelling down.

I didn't go to this one, but those who did said it was ace...

13 March 2010 Chesterfield A 5–0 4,138 Richards (3), R.Taylor, Davies (pen)

Notts County at home at the end of that season comes to mind. Kasper Schmeichel in goal and that bloke we hated at the time (Lee Hughes) up front...

24 April 2010 Notts County H 2–1 7,459 Richards, K.Taylor

Bradford away a couple of months ago is definitely up there for going mental at a goal in the last decade!!!

On 01/01/2020 at 11:01, Regal Beagle said:

Some great games really when you list them, even with at least 3 seasons of relegation battles.

The 3-2 win over Cheltenham was up there because if i remember correctly we'd been stuttering a bit and Pope dragged us through that game on his own, I remember him screaming at Chris Neal after one of their goals and so going on to get a hattrick was unreal.

I think Fleetwood gets my vote if I had to choose one, however.

Pope's second half masterclass in both play and motivation genuinely brings a tear to my eye. That was the player performance of the decade for me by a long way.

On 31/12/2019 at 17:54, Joe B said:

The what ifs of the Page era are massive. Still convinced he's a good manager.

What if Andoh's knee hadn't collapsed?

What if we'd realised Uche needed an arm round the shoulder and consistent starts?

What if Norman wasn't a thick, hubristic melon?

Page was a good manager, but equally the standard of squad we had until Norman went crazy matched that. I think we are recovering back to that with Askey. 

The daft Norman line works to a point but I can never forget the large amount of posters on here praising Smurfwaite over sacking Page for his boring football. 

Those who pointed out Page was being replaced with a team of conference North level foreign guys were given abuse on this very forum for being negative and failing to support Smurf’s “vision”. 

Those posts have not aged well. 

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 13:50, sandyford_valiant said:

The Doncaster game at home under Rob Page think we won 3-0. It was the best footballing performance I’ve seen for a long day we were unplayable nearly all game and knocked alit about quick and with ease and tore them apart. I’ve not seen a better footballing perform car since. Outstanding that was.

Always stands out for me too, came away thinking we might be actually something special. Having said that, Saturday just gone was probably one of the most complete performances I've seen in a while, beginning to believe the same ever so slightly...

Archived