onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Your game of the decade?

Portvale4

I’ve been thinking recently of my favourite games of the last ten years. These are my favourite: 

Vale v Rotherham (6-2) - 8th September 2012 - Rotherham were favourites to go up after spending a tonne of money, but we battered them. That’s when I started to believe we had something special. 

- Vale v Cheltenham (3-2) - 29th March 2013 - Pope hat-trick in the snow, end to end game. 

- Vale v Burton Albion (7-1) - 5th April 2013 - This was a fantastic evening in front of 10,000 Valiants.        

- Vale v Northampton (2-2) - 20th April 2013 - What a day and night! 

- Vale v Sheffield United (2-1) - 26th December 2014- Always nice to get one over on Sheff especially on Boxing Day. Took me 2 hours to get home however because of the snow. 

- Coventry v Vale (2-3) - 7th March 2015 - My favourite away game in the last ten years, the win kept us close to the league one play-offs.

- Vale v Crewe (3-0) - 9th April 2016 - The game we sent the sh*t down. 

- Morecambe V Vale (0-3) - 17th October 2017 - Aspin’s first away game, fantastic performance. 

- Vale v Luton (4-0) - 30th December 2017 - Dismantled the league leaders. 

- Vale v Chesterfield (2-1) - 30th March 2018 - Arguably our biggest game in years, if we would have lost the pressure would have been seriously on us. I will forever remember and thank Whitfield for the goal.

- Vale v Stoke (u23’s) (4-0)  - 4th December 2018 - Even though it was their kids, it was still a fantastic evening. 

- Vale v Mansfield (2-1) - 9th March 2019 - Ashley’s first win and a Miller double. This was crucial win in the bid for safety. 

- Crewe v Vale (0-1) - 2nd November 2019 - Crewe went intp the game as favourites, but we put on a masterclass to come away with three points. 

- Vale v Swindon (2-0) - 29th December 2019 - Our most recent match, couldn’t keep this out. What a fantastic win and performance. Every single Vale player played their part to beat the top of the league. 

They are my favourites games of the past 10 years. It’s been an up and down decade filled with good and bad times. We’ve won promotion out of where after starting the season in administration. We’ve had Norman Smurthwaite come in and single handedly rip the club apart. We’ve had the Bruno era, with a dozen of unknown foreigners ultimately being a big factor in our relegation. We’ve had the clueless Michael Brown and the fan favourite Neil Aspin both fail. We now have Askey, who is transforming our club. Finally, we now have two owners who genuinely care and love this great football club, Carol and Kevin. We finally have our beloved club back. Here’s to another 10 years Valiants. As always - Keep The Faith. 

Advert

4 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

I’ve been thinking recently of my favourite games of the last ten years. These are my favourite: 

Vale v Rotherham (6-2) - 8th September 2012 - Rotherham were favourites to go up after spending a tonne of money, but we battered them. That’s when I started to believe we had something special. 

- Vale v Cheltenham (3-2) - 29th March 2013 - Pope hat-trick in the snow, end to end game. 

- Vale v Burton Albion (7-1) - 5th April 2013 - This was a fantastic evening in front of 10,000 Valiants.        

- Vale v Northampton (2-2) - 20th April 2013 - What a day and night! 

- Vale v Sheffield United (2-1) - 26th December 2014- Always nice to get one over on Sheff especially on Boxing Day. Took me 2 hours to get home however because of the snow. 

- Coventry v Vale (2-3) - 7th March 2015 - My favourite away game in the last ten years, the win kept us close to the league one play-offs.

- Vale v Crewe (3-0) - 9th April 2016 - The game we sent the sh*t down. 

- Morecambe V Vale (0-3) - 17th October 2017 - Aspin’s first away game, fantastic performance. 

- Vale v Luton (4-0) - 30th December 2017 - Dismantled the league leaders. 

- Vale v Chesterfield (2-1) - 30th March 2018 - Arguably our biggest game in years, if we would have lost the pressure would have been seriously on us. I will forever remember and thank Whitfield for the goal.

- Vale v Stoke (u23’s) (4-0)  - 4th December 2018 - Even though it was their kids, it was still a fantastic evening. 

- Vale v Mansfield (2-1) - 9th March 2019 - Ashley’s first win and a Miller double. This was crucial win in the bid for safety. 

- Crewe v Vale (0-1) - 2nd November 2019 - Crewe went intp the game as favourites, but we put on a masterclass to come away with three points. 

- Vale v Swindon (2-0) - 29th December 2019 - Our most recent match, couldn’t keep this out. What a fantastic win and performance. Every single Vale player played their part to beat the top of the league. 

They are my favourites games of the past 10 years. It’s been an up and down decade filled with good and bad times. We’ve won promotion out of where after starting the season in administration. We’ve had Norman Smurthwaite come in and single handedly rip the club apart. We’ve had the Bruno era, with a dozen of unknown foreigners ultimately being a big factor in our relegation. We’ve had the clueless Michael Brown and the fan favourite Neil Aspin both fail. We now have Askey, who is transforming our club. Finally, we now have two owners who genuinely care and love this great football club, Carol and Kevin. We finally have our beloved club back. Here’s to another 10 years Valiants. As always - Keep The Faith. 

I think they would be the games on most people’s list. A good post.

Fleetwood away 12/13 was a good night; backed up the dismantling of Rotherham the week before and established us as one of the most dangerous teams in the division.

One I often see forgotten was Gills away in the same season; 1st vs 2nd on a freezing January in that open-end scaffolding. It was Hughes and Purse's debut, and we scored 2 goals relatively early before clinging on to a 2-1 victory courtesy of a Purse masterclass at centre half. It put us top and I have very strong memories of that day as it became the point in which I truly believed we were going up.

A final one from me, and continuing the theme, is York away of that promotion year too. We were in abject form, the pitch was horrendous, and I think our midfield was Griff and Birchall. Hughesy effectively dragged us to what I believe to be our most important win that year.

A great original post, and it shows that we've had a fair few good days, even in a fairly disastrous decade. Has me excited to see what the 2020's bring.

36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Fleetwood away 12/13 was a good night; backed up the dismantling of Rotherham the week before and established us as one of the most dangerous teams in the division.

One I often see forgotten was Gills away in the same season; 1st vs 2nd on a freezing January in that open-end scaffolding. It was Hughes and Purse's debut, and we scored 2 goals relatively early before clinging on to a 2-1 victory courtesy of a Purse masterclass at centre half. It put us top and I have very strong memories of that day as it became the point in which I truly believed we were going up.

A final one from me, and continuing the theme, is York away of that promotion year too. We were in abject form, the pitch was horrendous, and I think our midfield was Griff and Birchall. Hughesy effectively dragged us to what I believe to be our most important win that year.

A great original post, and it shows that we've had a fair few good days, even in a fairly disastrous decade. Has me excited to see what the 2020's bring.

Totally agree with you on them three mate, but I based mine off games I’ve attended. I probably should have stated that. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make these three game for whatever reason. 

That 7-1 against Burton was memorable for many reasons.  First of all it was switched to a Friday night which was most inconvenient!  The night before we had been at the Stadium of Light in Lison watching Benfica v Newcastle.  We flew back into Heathrow on the Friday landing about 1.30 pm.  We then hit an appalling traffic jam on the M40 which delayed us for ages.  We got back to our house, rushed in, grabbed the season tickets and a sarnie and rushed to Vale Park.  So glad we didn't miss that one!!

As good as the Rotherham and the Burton wins were during our promotion season, I rate the Fleetwood win higher in terms of it being a tougher match and them still being in it until we killed the game off. I remember saying to my mate at half time (2-1 up) that I’d take a draw. The Burton game though as an event is probably the best one.

From a technical point of view, I think the 2-0 win over Sheffield United and the 3-2 win against Wigan during the autumn of 2015 were as good as we’ve been as a footballing side for a long while. 

18 minutes ago, Santa said:

As good as the Rotherham and the Burton wins were during our promotion season, I rate the Fleetwood win higher in terms of it being a tougher match and them still being in it until we killed the game off. I remember saying to my mate at half time (2-1 up) that I’d take a draw. The Burton game though as an event is probably the best one.

From a technical point of view, I think the 2-0 win over Sheffield United and the 3-2 win against Wigan during the autumn of 2015 were as good as we’ve been as a footballing side for a long while. 

I dislocated my finger clapping when Uche scored, it has never been the same since. BBC report of the game not my finger.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34160361

40 minutes ago, Santa said:

The what ifs of the Page era are massive. Still convinced he's a good manager.

What if Andoh's knee hadn't collapsed?

What if we'd realised Uche needed an arm round the shoulder and consistent starts?

What if Norman wasn't a thick, hubristic melon?

7 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

That 7-1 against Burton was memorable for many reasons.  First of all it was switched to a Friday night which was most inconvenient!  The night before we had been at the Stadium of Light in Lison watching Benfica v Newcastle.  We flew back into Heathrow on the Friday landing about 1.30 pm.  We then hit an appalling traffic jam on the M40 which delayed us for ages.  We got back to our house, rushed in, grabbed the season tickets and a sarnie and rushed to Vale Park.  So glad we didn't miss that one!!

Wow! Now that's what I call true love and dedication to all things Newcastle United and Port Vale. I salute you Jean & Eddie 😎

Some great games really when you list them, even with at least 3 seasons of relegation battles.

The 3-2 win over Cheltenham was up there because if i remember correctly we'd been stuttering a bit and Pope dragged us through that game on his own, I remember him screaming at Chris Neal after one of their goals and so going on to get a hattrick was unreal.

I think Fleetwood gets my vote if I had to choose one, however.

Vale v Chesterfield (2-1) - 30th March 2018 -  Gets my vote for the reasons you state. Arguably our biggest game in years, if we would have lost the pressure would have been seriously on us. I will forever remember and thank Whitfield for the goal.

Just before the Whitfield goal if I remember correctly Chesterfield had a chance to go 2-1 up, their forward had an overhead kick and it hit our goalie (I think it was Roos ?) in the face, he didn't know anything about it, it stayed out, mega significant moment that was.

Archived