Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Macclesfield Town

Although Macc are a club in peril, they limited Forest Green to a single goal victory on Sunday. A different playing style from Swindon the  leaders but 3 points are at stake just the same, hopefully we have recovered from our exertions and will grab the 3 points. 3-0 would be nice, although there are no easy games, but it would set us up for the Lord Mayor`s Show.

If it goes ahead (think their pay day is tomorrow so not a given!) it’s one we need to be winning, for once I’d like to see us go into the league games to follow and really put some of the poorer sides to the sword and push on from yesterday.

May need to freshen things up but hopefully have enough to see them off.

Another one of those sides who are likely to park the bus.

Much more difficult, especially for the likes of Tom Pope. Much less space and therefore risks getting drawn into physical battles. In his case against three centre backs!

Having pace to spring from midfield, with Pope linking the play is our ideal.

Wow! That's an amazing statement 😄

Breaking down two banks of defenders is a very different matter.

Also recall Macc having two decent wide men who will need watching.

Paradoxically, perhaps a tougher assignment than Swindon!

Who was that number 7 they had who scored against us at their place? If he ever fancies a steady job at a company that pays their employees on time then he could come and play for us. 

Theo and that other jug eared **** who we had on loan can **** off though.

Anybody who thinks Macc will lie down is in for a shock,they are a resilient team playing against the odds,patience will be the key and NOT getting on players backs. 

I see no reason why we should not swap things around a bit. We've played a lot of games lately with more or less the same XI. Give a few of the fringe lads a chance to impress. I don't mean wholesale changes but we've got 2-3 on the bench who are decent enough to play games. And rest one or two before the weekend.

Atkinson, Browne and Cullen, at least, are more than capable of stepping in.

I think this will be a tougher and more important game than the Swindon one. We seem to struggle to break teams down when there is no space available. That has shown in numerous performances this season against sides below us, they come to Vale Park and nullify any space by sitting back all game. However, I’m confident about this one and I’m expecting us to finally get one over on Macc. I’d go with the same team, no reason to change it. 
I’ll be optimistic and go for another 2-0 Vale - Pope and Worrall. 

2 hours ago, TheSage said:

I see no reason why we should not swap things around a bit. We've played a lot of games lately with more or less the same XI. Give a few of the fringe lads a chance to impress. I don't mean wholesale changes but we've got 2-3 on the bench who are decent enough to play games. And rest one or two before the weekend.

Atkinson, Browne and Cullen, at least, are more than capable of stepping in.

What’s the point in resting players, you shouldn’t change a winning side. Prioritise the league over the cup, end of. Let’s face it, we are going to lose at City. There is an even bigger chance we’d lose against Macc if we rest players just for the bonus game on Saturday. Unchanged side for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

If he’s playing. He wasn’t in their squad on Thursday...

Theo hasn’t played since the 16th November. I’m guessing he is injured, does anyone know? It’s a shame really because I was looking forward to 4,000 Vale fans giving him stick after his theatrics in the reverse fixture. He was an utter disgrace after the match. All that celebrating for nothing though, as his team have won just one since they beat us and that was the game after us. Poor Theo.......

25 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Isn’t the slate wiped clean after a certain date?

Gibbons has to get through a further 13 league games without getting booked to avoid a 2 match ban - doubt he will do that somehow.

879CF110-E52E-4885-99B9-E4684535BA5F.jpeg

Edited by pjg1876