onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Macclesfield Town

Fosse69

Advert

Poor from Askey today, dunno why he changed a team that beat the league leaders for a team of duffers. If it is in anyway to protect players for Man City then that is piss poor from the manager. Entertaining game again though. Could and should have done better, I felt we have been better with Pope starting, Bennett offered sod all while he was on.

Entertainment 8/10

<ovf censored>!

Bennett isn't good enough to start games. He's a 4th choice striker at best. I said before the game that I actually think Macclesfield have a decent side, and in Osadebe one of the best wide players. I expected it to be a tight game and in the end it was exactly that. It's dissapointing but 4 points from 6 against Macclesfield and Swindon isn't a bad return and I'm not going to start saying we're not a decent side suddenly. Whether they should or not some of the players will definitely have had some of their focus on the weekend's trip to Manchester.

We won't make the play-offs this season but there's no reason why we can't be a genuine contender in the next one.

Like I said at half time....IF we don't get "sloppy". Too many wanted too many touches, or a little turn or didn't react quickly enough. They were not bad on the ball. I'm afraid Bennett hasn't got it for me......and although we keep banging on about a left back I think we can make do and mend with Monty until the end of the season....it's a striker who can replace/cover for Popey that is the priority.

Oh well half a loaf is better than none.....shame that it looks like the Lardies are going to be back in Europe in a couple of seasons, at least that's what I presume they'll be on about on P&G.

It's worth remembering that Macclesfield have only lost one more game than us this season. There goal difference is only 5 worse than our own. I expect them to finish 14/15th and us to just be a few places higher. The club may be in turmoil at the moment with players not getting paid correctly but the effort is still there, and clearly they have a bit of quality in the likes of Osadebe and McCourt. Overall they've quite impressed me over the two games this season and look an outfit that should be higher up than they currently are.

Given Macc's off the field problems and the Swindon result Vale  fans were anticipating a win today but Macc showed again this season they are a difficult team to play against and deservedly got a draw.

Perhaps Vale weren't on their game at both ends of the field but the result shows there's not much between the teams in this league and if we could put a good run together we could make the play-offs.

Prefer where vale are this season compared to the last two.

Just now, Paul6754 said:

Given Macc's off the field problems and the Swindon result Vale  fans were anticipating a win today but Macc showed again this season they are a difficult team to play against and deservedly got a draw.

Perhaps Vale weren't on their game at both ends of the field but the result shows there's not much between the teams in this league and if we could put a good run together we could make the play-offs.

Prefer where vale are this season compared to the last two.

Pretty much anyone's best 11 can beat anybody else's on any given day. What separates some clubs is what they have to bring off the bench and what cover they have in the squad when they have 4 or 5 players missing through injury and suspension.

FT 2-2. Poor, poor result. This is the third time we've failed to beat Macc and I'm starting to wonder if JA can't bring himself to inspire a win over his old club. We need to put a run together to have any hope of a playoff place but with inconsistency like this, the odds are against us. We need some mentally stronger, winning players in the side.
Looks to me like a transitional season.
Was it really ever going to be anything other than a transitional season? Macclesfield are a decent side and are only down there due to the lack of games played.

A reasonable performance at the back end of a busy period. Two sides trying to pass, and for the third game in succession (Mansfield, Swindon, and today) I thought the officials were pretty decent, which belies the oft-used criticism that all League 2 referees are incompetent.

Macc are a really decent side and Welch-Hayes, Gnahoua, Ironside, and Osadebe are all good footballers who would add to our squad. We got caught out by an absolute worlide (which was nothing to do with our 'mentality' or how we played) and then a very well-taken goal immediately after.

We played well in patches but were a bit loose in our passing and tired towards the end. Montano excelled again and Amoo continues to do what he's paid for; score and create goals (thats 3 goals scored or assisted in 4).

A respectable if unspectacular return from the festive season. Now to enjoy Saturday, progress in the Leasing, and then see what we can add in January.

2 minutes ago, Valist said:
1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:
FT 2-2. Poor, poor result. This is the third time we've failed to beat Macc and I'm starting to wonder if JA can't bring himself to inspire a win over his old club. We need to put a run together to have any hope of a playoff place but with inconsistency like this, the odds are against us. We need some mentally stronger, winning players in the side.
Looks to me like a transitional season.

Was it really ever going to be anything other than a transitional season? Macclesfield are a decent side and are only down there due to the lack of games played.

I think it's a measure of the progress Askey has made this season that we're all sounding disappointed when we don't beat sides below us at home. The prospect of the playoffs is tantalising but today showed that we are too inconsistent to be considered serious contenders. We might do it, if we can strengthen the side in January and find that elusive winning mentality, but it's unlikely. Yes, definitely a transitional season.

Watched the game from a box in the Lorne St rather than Bycars and its interesting how you see things differently.

Firstly, I thought they were ok. We didn’t in fact start quickly contra to what Kevan suggested and I thought they might have scored with their first shot. I thought their 8 was the standout player and said so to my Macc supporting mate at H/T and it was no surprise he scored a worldie, albeit nobody was anywhere near him. Their 7 and 20 also caused us problems.

As for us, well..... I’ve defended Bennett but today he might as well not been on, offering absolutely nothing.

Equally Pope frustrated the life out of me when he came on giving away some really stupid free kicks including one that nearly resulted in them getting a winner.

If Cullen and Archer aren’t good enough to start, then we need to be looking for another target man in the transfer window. 

Other than that, it’s hard to be too critical because, at times we looked tired which is understandable, but everyone put 100% in. We got into some great crossing positions but were poor in this respect today.  

I thought Burgess was decent and probably my pick for MoTM although Smith, Legge and Monty also played well.

Archived