onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Thoughts so far...

TylerB

So wiith the year all but done, what do people think of the our season so far? This will be a post with plenty of rambling, if only to help myself pass a bit of time while I have to wait around for parcel deliveries this morning!

Brown - Best keeper in the league arguably. Deserved to be playing at least one league higher and there's probably worse keepers playing in the Championship every week too. I liked Neal and Alnwick but I think he's the best we've had since Goodlad.

Maddison - Not seen much of him but in the few chances he's got he's looked a more than capable understudy. Seems to have a good attitude which is always needed when you know you're very much a number 2 currently, so fair play to the lad.

Gibbons - Much improved and one of the first names on the team sheet. He has a poor game in him now and again but that's understandable at League Two level. Offers a lot going forward and should only get better.

Legge - Wouldn't swap him for any other centre-back in the league. Also comes across as someone who genuinely enjoys playing for the club.

Smith - Seems to be improving every week and has clearly learned a lot from playing alongside Leon Legge. Arguably our biggest asset along with Oyeleke if the latter can get himself playing regularly.

Brisley/Evans - Not seen enough of either to really give an opinion, but both seem more than capable as squad type players.

Montano - You never quite know what you'll get on the day from Cristian but on his day he's terrific. I suppose if he was more consistent he wouldn't be playing for us in League Two anyway.

Crooks - Never been overly impressed with him and it seems Askey doesn't really rate him either. He's someone who clearly gives his best though and hopefully if and when he does get a chance again he can show an improvement.

Joyce - Once much maligned but is now a vital cog in Askey's machine. Needs legs around him but we now have that in abudance. Love his passion for the game.

Oyeleke - So talented but also so frustrating. A fit Oyeleke would probably be worth a 6 figure free. Fingers crossed he can finally get himself fit and on a football pitch more often than not.

Burgess - Possibly the surprise of the season so far for me. Thought he was a signing just to make up the numbers but actually looks a very promising player and certainly hasn't let anyone down.

Conlon - The fact that he's now not an automatic starter this season shows how much we've improved this season. He's a decent player and his time will come again no doubt. Sometimes wants too much time on tbe ball but that's something he can work on.

Atkinson - Clearly a good pro and a more than capable squad player that you know won't let you down at all when called upon.

Taylor - We've not had a goal scoring midfielder like him I don't think since Bridge-Wilkinson. Fingers and toes crossed we can get him signed up!

Lloyd - Brought in as a squad player so it's unfair to expect too much of him. Every squad in League Two has these type of players.

Worrall - So vital for us in the way Askey wants us to play. Like Legge he's another vastly expeienced pro that looks like he really enjoys playing for the club.

Amoo - Inconsistent but a threat for the opposition. A big improvement on what we've generally had out wide for a few seasons even if at times I expect a bit more from him.

Browne - Has looked decent when given a chance and a good option to have on the bench if nothing else. Has pace which League Two defenders hate,

Bennett - Has done alright and there's plenty to like about him. Needs to improve his finishing though if he's to become a regular again as he was at the beginning of the season.

Pope - Ever reliable, even though he's missed a couple of sitters over the last week or two! Still one of the best target man type players in the league in the way he holds up the ball and occupies defenders.

Cullen - Has goals in him but might not get a run of games due to the way Askey likes his team to play and the formation he plays. Like Browne he's an excellent option to have on the bench.

Archer - Not really had much of a chance to show what he's capable of yet so unfair to make a judgement.

We alll hoped at the beginning of the season that it wouldn't be such a struggle this time around but so far I think we're ahead of where I think many thought we would be. We're not perfect and we've dropped too many points when in a good position or in games we should be winning, but to only have lost 6 games this season as of yet shows that we're on the right path and not far away from being a genuine play-off contender. We seem to struggle against the lesser sides in the league at times which could either be a mentality thing, or because we struggle against teams that sit back and don't allow you to play a bit. It wouuld be just like the old Vale to follow the excellent win against Swindon with an anticlimatic <ovf censored> show against Macclesfield, a side we should be beating relatively comfortably at home, so let's see how we deal with expectations and not being the underdogs. But I have faith in John Askey that he will be saying the right things to the players in the lead up to the game to make sure they aren't complacent and will need to put in the same effort that they did yesterday.

The new owners and the manager can't be given enough credit for what they've done and are doing for the football club, and long may it continue. Attending games is now no longer a choir and is something to genuinely look forward to win, lose or draw, be it at home or away from Vale Park. All many of us want and expect is players and staff that genuinely care about the club, and it's safe to say we now have this in abundance, so happy days! :keepup:

Advert

I'd agree with the vast majority of that. I've only seen a little bit of Brisley but I liked what I saw and I would imagine he will be first back-up to Smith and Legge. However, on their form his chances of breaking into the starting XI must be minimal.

I like the fact we have plenty of options across the park. With the exception of LB and perhaps the Joyce defensive midfield role, there's really no position where a player doesn't have competition and that's got to be good for maintaining high performance levels.

I have been really impressed with Burgess/Taylor in midfield and if Oyeleke comes back soon, then having to pick two from Taylor, Burgess, Conlon and Oyeleke has to give us one of the strongest midfields in ages.

I agree with the vast majority of the opening post. A very balanced assessment.

For me, the most delicate part of our development is how we recruit suitable long term replacements for Legge, Joyce and Pope who are such a solid spine for us but also will be 35, 33 and 34 by the start of next season (with Pope turning 35 by end of Aug).

I think that’s a fair assessment overall @TylerB and on our day we are a match for anyone as yesterday showed and also on our day individually I feel we have some of the best players in the league. I think with a couple of additions, manny firing on all cylinders, then we can really push on. 

All I'll add is that going to a game actually excites me these days. 

Yes there's plenty of lapses in form, it's League two after all.

But the improvement is superb after the first four games didn't go to plan when JA took over. 

Definitely a feel good factor around the place. Long may it continue 

Archived