onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

26 minutes ago, gags 64 said:

What I couldn't understand was if the ref deemed Legge's challenge worthy of a booking how come he never blew for a foul

Let me clear it up. The ref bottled it. That challenge is a red card all day long. Leon should have gone for it, but  the ref let the play continue  instead of blowing hard and giving him a red. Then  he didn't know what to do  after it was kicked out for a throw-in. As soon as i saw it, I said "Red card , his leg is broken " . Just my opinion, but Leon was a very lucky boy. 

Advert

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Fair point. Aspin was a poor manager though - Hence the fact that no other league club will go near him. The fact that he was handicapped by the chairman obviously didn't help but it was clear to me he was in over his head regardless.

I think we should hold back on our criticism of Aspo. I agree he may not be the world's best but, with a terrible squad assembled by Brown and Smurthwaite, he kept us up when a great many of us feared for the worst. Who else would have taken it on?

To be honest, I'll never know how he managed it as we had a poor set of players completely lacking in confidence. A bit of a minor miracle really. You could see how bad things were even after JA took over. I watched the game here in Cambridge and we were a terrible side, players arguing among themselves after the goal and absolutely no cohesion in the team. 

It's easy to forget how bad it was. Aspo may not have been the best but he was what we needed at the time and I'll remember him for keeping us up, if nowt else. So let's keep it in perspective.

Was it hell a red card

Let me clear it up. The ref bottled it. That challenge is a red card all day long. Leon should have gone for it, but  the ref let the play continue  instead of blowing hard and giving him a red. Then  he didn't know what to do  after it was kicked out for a throw-in. As soon as i saw it, I said "Red card , his leg is broken " . Just my opinion, but Leon was a very lucky boy. 

1 hour ago, Platty's Tassels said:

I'll never get why Aspin never played Worrell?

Aspin was dealt a poor hand with the old chairman, although saying that Askey is head and shoulders above him. (excuse the pun)  I did love Aspin and hes still a legend.

Aspin was a great player but an awful manager..

He didn’t play Worrall because he didn’t respect quality league footballers. He believed he could find wonderful non league gems. Kept playing inexperienced players at the expense of those like Worrall with it. 

The Smurfwaite excuse is a good one but limited given how much improvement Askey managed with the same squad. It was incredible. 

In fact our actual playing budget seems little different. While they were different eras, Smurfwaite budgeted for players like Lee Hughes and Anthony Grant. 

15 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I think we should hold back on our criticism of Aspo. I agree he may not be the world's best but, with a terrible squad assembled by Brown and Smurthwaite, he kept us up when a great many of us feared for the worst. Who else would have taken it on?

To be honest, I'll never know how he managed it as we had a poor set of players completely lacking in confidence. A bit of a minor miracle really. You could see how bad things were even after JA took over. I watched the game here in Cambridge and we were a terrible side, players arguing among themselves after the goal and absolutely no cohesion in the team. 

It's easy to forget how bad it was. Aspo may not have been the best but he was what we needed at the time and I'll remember him for keeping us up, if nowt else. So let's keep it in perspective.

Aspin achieved no lasting improvement. Yes he kept us up, but that 5-0 hiding against Cambridge on the final day of his first season proved he had no sustainability at building a team to win football matches. 

Aspin kept us up. Signed Brown, Joyce, Legge. Worked under the worst owner we've had. Then walked when his time was up. No hard feelings for me.

We've moved on to better things. Today was terrific. Well done Arthur and the lads and the new owners. But no need to disrespect Aspo IMO.

Excellent day all round today, pleased for Monty and his M.O.M. award, although could have easily gone to Leggy, Smudge or Joycey, to cap a great day I, along with several members of my family bought tickets for the Chris Bayley Suite which included a tour of the facilities, meet the players in the changing rooms seats in the President’s area and attending the Man of the Match presentation, loved the experience and finished the afternoon with a chat to our owner....a must for any Vale Fan....

38 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I think it was far from a mircale that he just about kept us up by the skin of his teeth. To me he was clueless and only lasted as long as he did because of the obvious. He belongs in none league football, but his legacy as a player will always remain.

15 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Aspin kept us up. Signed Brown, Joyce, Legge. Worked under the worst owner we've had. Then walked when his time was up. No hard feelings for me.

We've moved on to better things. Today was terrific. Well done Arthur and the lads and the new owners. But no need to disrespect Aspo IMO.

He didn't play Worrall, while Joyce was terrible under Aspin and pretty much everyone wanted him out of the club. You can't really credit someone for signing players if the same person didn't use them properly or get anything out of them!

Each to their own. But speaking for myself I generally cringed every time he opened his mouth and I couldn't bring myself to make it through his post match interviews win, lose or draw! He's a club legend which goes without saying as a player, but I found him very uninspiring and not someone that the players would run through a brick walll for. Askey on the other hand well being a relatively quiet and unassuming bloke I can listen to with pleasure.

Different opinions but who cares. We are where we are now. Up the vale!

Their forum makes interesting reading

In summary:

- Vale were well organised and difficult to break down 

- Pope was excellent at holding the ball... they say “one of the positives is that everyone in this league has a Pope”

- Vale did their homework and realised Zakuani is no good on the ball and dropped off and marked the midfield when he got it nullifying the threat of them playing through

- Legge tackle was firm but fair

I big mention for Burgess for me, often does stuff and his twin Taylor gets the credit, including my first assessment of who scored the first goal! If he gets himself a different pair of boots to Taylor he’ll start getting noticed more.
They wore different coloured boots today

Archived