Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’m here!!! Well I’m not as I’m at a wedding, but celebrating both! 
Brilliant result today, makes Mansfield, Orient, Salford and ... even more frustrating, don’t you think?? Should be comfortably top 7 IMHO

Good stuff! Used to live in Biddulph myself.

I see your point though I just think we’re a work in progress, working towards the finished article. When we get somewhere nearer it’s going to get very exciting.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regardless of points it's clear Askey's side is head and shoulders better than anything Neil Aspin managed to put together.

Burgess is a great little player... unsung hero of the season for me!

If we miss out on Taylor because of 20 or 30K then it would almost be criminal. Thank you, John Askey. You're a credit to the club and to yourself for the job you are doing.

Posted Images

Excellent from start to finish today. Every single one of them players deserve a pat on the back, to bounce back from such a disappointing end at Mansfield, to then produce a performance like that against the league leaders was fantastic. Swindon looked a tidy side, who obviously got distributed with two of their defenders going off, but every time they went forward they looked dangerous. They are a good side and they will undoubtably go up. Good luck to them! 

It was another entertaining game to watch, which I thought Vale controlled very well. We cut the balls out to Doyle by having two men on him every time the ball came near him. We allowed Zakuani to have the freedom of the ball at the back which was very clever, this ensured Grant never really received the ball in space to pick out a pass. Joyce was once again fantastic, along with two goal scorers. Credit to Burgess, this man has been in Taylor’s shadow, but we are starting to see the talent the lad really has. He’s been excellent over the past few game and  then Taylor, well what can I say? Once again he grabs a goal with fantastic strike. He had a quieter game than usual today, but was still very tidy. The front three all played their part too. Pope really should have buried the one on one, but in fairness to him it was on his weaker side. Monty and Gibbo were fantastic against three busy wingers Anderson, Woolery and Isgrove. I was critical of Monty after the Mansfield game, but that was very good performance from him, he won everything. Last, but no least, LEON LEGGE and NATHAN SMITH, you pair were absolutely outstanding against the hottest strike force in the league. They won absolutely everything and played the ball around with confidence. What a defensive partnership they have, it really was a pleasure to see them throwing everything at the ball. 
MOTM: It has to be Legge, he was absolutely superb. 

We move on to Macc now 4 points off the play-offs. There is now reason why we can’t reduce that to two on Wednesday. My only concern like many have said is that we never seem to show up against sides below us. We seem to enjoy more open games against sides above us. If we play anywhere like we did today, we will should be Macc. 

Finally, Carol and Kevin please get your cheque book out for Jake please!!!! Also, whilst you are there, get Smith and Gibbo signed up for another 2 and a half years.    PLEASE

We are heading in the right direction Valiants, like I said after the Mansfield game. Askey is the man to take us forward. I genuinely believe it!!

Keep The Faith! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Personally I dont agree, looked to me like both players got to the ball in a 50/50 and their lad came off worse.

I genuinely think that's also what the ref saw and that's why he didnt even give a free kick.

To then book Legge was spineless and, frankly, bizarre.

The ref showed himself up again with our four on two break in the second half where he blew for the head clash.  Their player duly stood up and ran to the touchline after treatment.

For me, both decisions were ridiculous.

It said on my notifications on my phone it was for dissent..I have no idea as it seemed a great 50-50 win tackle and it was just the ref booking Legg because the Swindon player smudged his lipstick

Fair point. Aspin was a poor manager though - Hence the fact that no other league club will go near him. The fact that he was handicapped by the chairman obviously didn't help but it was clear to me he was in over his head regardless.

Very harsh.

Managers in league two never get second chances. I believe Aspin was a decent manager who did a very good job keeping us up and then leaving of his own accord when he thought he couldn’t take us any further.

Askey on the other hand seems to be a good manager in the making. He just needs time.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Legge was a booking, he clearly got the ball but the follow through caught their lad, unintentional but in this day and age it’s a yellow all day. Legge says their lad has broken his leg sadly.

And yet the ref didn’t even give a foul? 

37 minutes ago, PVFC_4_EVA said:

Very harsh.

Managers in league two never get second chances. I believe Aspin was a decent manager who did a very good job keeping us up and then leaving of his own accord when he thought he couldn’t take us any further.

Askey on the other hand seems to be a good manager in the making. He just needs time.

Each to their own. But speaking for myself I generally cringed every time he opened his mouth and I couldn't bring myself to make it through his post match interviews win, lose or draw! He's a club legend which goes without saying as a player, but I found him very uninspiring and not someone that the players would run through a brick walll for. Askey on the other hand well being a relatively quiet and unassuming bloke I can listen to with pleasure.

Edited by TylerB

8 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Legge was a booking, he clearly got the ball but the follow through caught their lad, unintentional but in this day and age it’s a yellow all day. Legge says their lad has broken his leg sadly.

5 minutes ago, George said:

And yet the ref didn’t even give a foul? 

49 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Personally I dont agree, looked to me like both players got to the ball in a 50/50 and their lad came off worse.

I genuinely think that's also what the ref saw and that's why he didnt even give a free kick.

To then book Legge was spineless and, frankly, bizarre.

The ref showed himself up again with our four on two break in the second half where he blew for the head clash.  Their player duly stood up and ran to the touchline after treatment.

For me, both decisions were ridiculous.

The ref definitely waved play on.

Swindon reporter says that the playing surface was uneven. Take it he hasn't been to Mansfield recently 
It is. That said, it is more than a little ironic how last season and the one before the players were blaming the playing surface for our poor home form.....

26 minutes ago, gags 64 said:

What I couldn't understand was if the ref deemed Legge's challenge worthy of a booking how come he never blew for a foul

Let me clear it up. The ref bottled it. That challenge is a red card all day long. Leon should have gone for it, but  the ref let the play continue  instead of blowing hard and giving him a red. Then  he didn't know what to do  after it was kicked out for a throw-in. As soon as i saw it, I said "Red card , his leg is broken " . Just my opinion, but Leon was a very lucky boy. 

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

Fair point. Aspin was a poor manager though - Hence the fact that no other league club will go near him. The fact that he was handicapped by the chairman obviously didn't help but it was clear to me he was in over his head regardless.

I think we should hold back on our criticism of Aspo. I agree he may not be the world's best but, with a terrible squad assembled by Brown and Smurthwaite, he kept us up when a great many of us feared for the worst. Who else would have taken it on?

To be honest, I'll never know how he managed it as we had a poor set of players completely lacking in confidence. A bit of a minor miracle really. You could see how bad things were even after JA took over. I watched the game here in Cambridge and we were a terrible side, players arguing among themselves after the goal and absolutely no cohesion in the team. 

It's easy to forget how bad it was. Aspo may not have been the best but he was what we needed at the time and I'll remember him for keeping us up, if nowt else. So let's keep it in perspective.

• Like 3

Was it hell a red card

Let me clear it up. The ref bottled it. That challenge is a red card all day long. Leon should have gone for it, but  the ref let the play continue  instead of blowing hard and giving him a red. Then  he didn't know what to do  after it was kicked out for a throw-in. As soon as i saw it, I said "Red card , his leg is broken " . Just my opinion, but Leon was a very lucky boy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Platty's Tassels said:

I'll never get why Aspin never played Worrell?

Aspin was dealt a poor hand with the old chairman, although saying that Askey is head and shoulders above him. (excuse the pun)  I did love Aspin and hes still a legend.

Aspin was a great player but an awful manager..

He didn’t play Worrall because he didn’t respect quality league footballers. He believed he could find wonderful non league gems. Kept playing inexperienced players at the expense of those like Worrall with it. 

The Smurfwaite excuse is a good one but limited given how much improvement Askey managed with the same squad. It was incredible. 

In fact our actual playing budget seems little different. While they were different eras, Smurfwaite budgeted for players like Lee Hughes and Anthony Grant. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I think we should hold back on our criticism of Aspo. I agree he may not be the world's best but, with a terrible squad assembled by Brown and Smurthwaite, he kept us up when a great many of us feared for the worst. Who else would have taken it on?

To be honest, I'll never know how he managed it as we had a poor set of players completely lacking in confidence. A bit of a minor miracle really. You could see how bad things were even after JA took over. I watched the game here in Cambridge and we were a terrible side, players arguing among themselves after the goal and absolutely no cohesion in the team. 

It's easy to forget how bad it was. Aspo may not have been the best but he was what we needed at the time and I'll remember him for keeping us up, if nowt else. So let's keep it in perspective.

Aspin achieved no lasting improvement. Yes he kept us up, but that 5-0 hiding against Cambridge on the final day of his first season proved he had no sustainability at building a team to win football matches.