onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

Just now, Jacko51 said:

But if you look at the action of the referee, he makes no advantage sign until about three passes after the tackle when he puts his arms out fowards.  He doesn't go to his whistle then not blow it as refs often do when they play advantage, he does nothing.  Look at it on the iPlayer highlights.  It's not a foul and it's not a yellow card.  The ref was simply wrong. 

He still plays the advantage. You don't have to make the signal immediately; you can wait and see if the game can continue to flow. He's just waiting to see if the play develops, which it does.

Its an innocous challenge but you can't be following through that high. Yellow card was correct.

Advert

I watched it live on iPlayer. He does play advantage as far as I can see (the arms being put in front of him) but it was a long time after the incident.

Didn't look a foul to me. Thought it was a great tackle. Shame the lad got injured. 

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

He still plays the advantage. You don't have to make the signal immediately; you can wait and see if the game can continue to flow. He's just waiting to see if the play develops, which it does.

Its an innocous challenge but you can't be following through that high. Yellow card was correct.

Go to iPlayer and click the slow button.  Legge doesn't go in high, he actually goes and plays the ball with the side of his foot.  He gets there ages before the Swindon player who comes in at an angle and could just as easily have injured Legge he was so late.  I'm sorry but I find this criticism of Legge for what was in my opinion a very good tackle quite sad.  Not a single Swindon player appealed for a foul, they just carried on. 

13 minutes ago, Emile said:

I watched it live on iPlayer. He does play advantage as far as I can see (the arms being put in front of him) but it was a long time after the incident.

Didn't look a foul to me. Thought it was a great tackle. Shame the lad got injured. 

The ref takes a look, sees the player is still on the ground and makes the play on gesture.  He wasn't playing advantage - you only do that if there's a foul!

He definitely is playing advantage; arms out straight.

I have just checked the highlights and it was a worse tackle than what I remembered; Legge wins the ball cleanly at the start, but then lifts his leg up for the follow through, resulting in the screenshot I've got here. Its genuinely a bad tackle, connecting with the lad quite high.

Its unintentional but an undoubtedly aggressive tackle. Its definitely a foul, minimum a yellow, and whilst he's my favourite player, I don't think he could argue with a red.

He's saved by the fact he made contact with the ball first but that doesn't negate any subsequent actions. You can't rationalise tackling the lad near his knee with 'well I touched the ball first'; its a reckless challenge.

spacer.png

legge tackle (2).jpg

I have just checked the highlights and it was a worse tackle than what I remembered; Legge wins the ball cleanly at the start, but then lifts his leg up for the follow through, resulting in the screenshot I've got here. Its genuinely a bad tackle, connecting with the lad quite high.
Its unintentional but an undoubtedly aggressive tackle. Its definitely a foul, minimum a yellow, and whilst he's my favourite player, I don't think he could argue with a red.
He's saved by the fact he made contact with the ball first but that doesn't negate any subsequent actions. You can't rationalise tackling the lad near his knee with 'well I touched the ball first'; its a reckless challenge.
> <a href=https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/uploads/monthly_2019_12/619993102_leggetackle(2).jpg.8f8994b64805c46113c498d0f675f950.jpg' alt='619993102_leggetackle(2).jpg.8f8994b64805c46113c498d0f675f950.jpg'>

We get a decent win and all you can talk about is if one of our players should’ve been sent off? Strange.

3 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

We get a decent win and all you can talk about is if one of our players should’ve been sent off? Strange.

I'm delighted with the win. Just having an honest discussion that it was a bad challenge, when some on here think contrary. Tribalism to the extent where you can't be honest about your own players isn't a great mindset. If that challenge goes in against us, this fanbase is rightly up in arms.

Check my post history for the essays I usually post after every win, if you're concerned about my priorities.

I'm delighted with the win. Just having an honest discussion that it was a bad challenge, when some on here think contrary.

For what it’s worth it probably should of been a red for excessive force. If it was an opposition player doing that tackle I’m sure we’d be baying for a red card.

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Legge basically tackles upwards; low and safe to start, high and dangerous to finish.

He could’ve easily been sent off for the follow through. You can’t win the ball then follow through and break a leg. I thought booking as soon as he did It, I had a good view and said to my dad that’s a bad injury. Think the ref didn’t see anything and he panicked when he saw the lad was lying on the deck in agony and thought he must’ve missed something. 

1 minute ago, Jacob_123 said:

For what it’s worth it probably should of been a red for excessive force. If it was an opposition player doing that tackle I’m sure we’d be baying for a red card.

Then why criticise me for saying exactly that??????

13 minutes ago, Joe B said:

spacer.png

legge tackle (2).jpg

Joe, look at what happens when the tackle takes place.  The ref does nothing just following the ball, a few seconds later he looks back, sees the lad on the ground and then puts his arms forward to say play on.  He is not playing advantage because the arms out gesture is only given after he sees the bloke on the ground and does not consider he has to stop the game but telling the players to play on. 

The still picture above shows the reason why the lad got injured.  He is actually coming in late on Legge from the side.  If he had made contact with Legge from that angle having got nowhere near the ball he would have been sent off.  Still pics can be very misleading.  Watch the video in slo mo and see how long before the Swindon player arrives Legge gets to the ball. 

Also, tell me which Swindon players, having seen that in real time, put their arms up and appeal for the foul??

6 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

The "excessive force" was against the ball not the player.  More of a foul is the challenge that Joyce makes in the seconds before Legge's tackle.

6 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

He could’ve easily been sent off for the follow through. You can’t win the ball then follow through and break a leg. I thought booking as soon as he did It, I had a good view and said to my dad that’s a bad injury. Think the ref didn’t see anything and he panicked when he saw the lad was lying on the deck in agony and thought he must’ve missed something. 

He didn't break a leg.

Archived