onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Premier League 2019/2020

TylerB

Only for those that have any interest in our top league, of course.

City will obviously be favorites again, and have signed a really good player in Rodri who will replace Fernandinho. I hope to see Foden push on this season and become an England regular by the back end of the season. Liverpool have only signed youngsters as of yet but having Oxlade-Chamberlain fit again is like having a very good new player, and he will offer something different from midfield. I think Klopp would like a back-up left back but it has to be someone content enough to know that Andrew Robertson will be picked most weeks when fit and available, and that's not easy to find. Keep an eye out this season for Rhian Brewster. He's inexperienced but has massive talent and I expect him to make some sort of impact. I also expect Curtis Jones to also make his Premier League debut at some point too within the next 12 months - another very talented young English player. United have signed two good young players but I still expect them to be miles away. They've been linked with the likes of Longstaff and Lemina, but are they really United standard players? I suppose they might be a slight improvement on what they have right now if little else. I think Spurs have made the best signing so far in Ndombele. His all action game is made for the Premier League. Because of the transfer ban I can't see Chelsea doing too much. Giroud, Abraham and Batshuayi isn't a lot of firepower at the highest level.

Advert

I've not really followed much of the transfer talk yet with the cricket being on, although it seems to me that nobody has strengthened anywhere near enough to challenge City or Liverpool. I hope someone does, it isn't a great look for the PL to become less competitive. It was like the Scottish League at times last year with the top 2 head and shoulders above the rest (albeit with much higher quality). 

11 hours ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I've not really followed much of the transfer talk yet with the cricket being on, although it seems to me that nobody has strengthened anywhere near enough to challenge City or Liverpool. I hope someone does, it isn't a great look for the PL to become less competitive. It was like the Scottish League at times last year with the top 2 head and shoulders above the rest (albeit with much higher quality). 

Well Chelsea aren't able to sign anyone other than Kovacic, Arsenal don't have enough money without selling players to do much and United, who do have the money, will struggle to attract the players they would have previously because they can't offer Champions League football. I think Spurs could challenge if they don't sell Eriksen and also bring in another forward. 

From a Liverpool perspective I can see why Klopp wouldn't bring in anyone as he's counting Oxlade, Brewster and Harry Wilson as almost like three new signings. But it would still be nice to make a statement and sign one top player in the mould of Fekir or even Coutinho who apparently wants to return to Liverpool instead of being exchanged in a player plus cash deal for Neymar. With Coutinho in the squad Liverpool would have won the league last season without any shadow of a doubt as he would have been worth a good few points more than what they ended up with. 

As crazy as it may seem, last season I got more enjoyment watching the scrap at the bottom of the PL - less predictability and where fortunes of survival depended on a single play in any one game whilst looking over their collective shoulders to see what was happening elsewhere, and where managers were pitting the skills, knowledge and experience minus the money available to the top 4-6 PL Club managers.   

4 hours ago, Aussie Rules said:

As crazy as it may seem, last season I got more enjoyment watching the scrap at the bottom of the PL - less predictability and where fortunes of survival depended on a single play in any one game whilst looking over their collective shoulders to see what was happening elsewhere, and where managers were pitting the skills, knowledge and experience minus the money available to the top 4-6 PL Club managers.   

Two horse race for the title with Brighton,Sheff.Utd and Newcastle getting relegated.

Newcastle look like they will have new wealthy owners so cannot see them going down, agree with Sheffield United and Brighton. Can only see Leicester challenging for a top  6 position next season and don’t think Wolves will be top 7, more like 10th/11th. Guardiola will go all out for the Champions league which may open the door for Liverpool but I still think Liverpool had a lot of luck last season to finish a couple of points behind City so will need a lot of luck a game or up their game even more this season.

Does money actually mean anything anymore in the Greed Is Good league  ?

Newcastle have reportedly shelled out £40M for this Joelinton character. What do they get for their money ? A goal scorer like Alan Shearer ? A precocious talent like David Ginola maybe ?. Or possibly an exciting Tino Asprilla to thrill the St James faithful ? 

No. They get a lad who has plied his trade in the Austrian league and had one uneventful season at Hoffenheim and has yet to score more than 8 goals in a league season.

He may well turn out to be a superstar, but with stats like those above, how can that possibly equate to £40M ?

Is it any wonder that football is in the financial predicament it is in with these obscene amounts of money exchanging numerous hands, with little knowledge of where funds eventually end up.

Not that I’m cynical of course.

4 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Does money actually mean anything anymore in the Greed Is Good league  ?

Newcastle have reportedly shelled out £40M for this Joelinton character. What do they get for their money ? A goal scorer like Alan Shearer ? A precocious talent like David Ginola maybe ?. Or possibly an exciting Tino Asprilla to thrill the St James faithful ? 

No. They get a lad who has plied his trade in the Austrian league and had one uneventful season at Hoffenheim and has yet to score more than 8 goals in a league season.

He may well turn out to be a superstar, but with stats like those above, how can that possibly equate to £40M ?

Is it any wonder that football is in the financial predicament it is in with these obscene amounts of money exchanging numerous hands, with little knowledge of where funds eventually end up.

Not that I’m cynical of course.

Gareth Bale's stuck between a rock and a hard place!!!

Does he defy ZZ,sit tight and pick up £600,000 a week for another 3 years or does he move to the Chinese League and pick up £1m a week,tax free?

Tough call.

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

Gareth Bale's stuck between a rock and a hard place!!!

Does he defy ZZ,sit tight and pick up £600,000 a week for another 3 years or does he move to the Chinese League and pick up £1m a week,tax free?

Tough call.

Nice work if you can get it. I don't know anyone who would refuse that choice. 

Archived