onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Premier League 2019/2020

TylerB

Advert

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Great player but ultimately will come up short for England against the big boys because he simply can't defend. 

A right back primarily is part of a defence. His set pieces and attacking prowess are superb but he'll get found out by France, Holland, Germany. 

I understand your point of view, but if England are on the front foot more often than not then teams will be more worried about what he can do to really expose him. But against the better teams you could either play a 5-3-2, with the extra defender being able to provide cover, or you just play either Trippier or Wan-Bissaka instead. He's 21 so he'll improve defensively without question. Wan-Bissaka was excellent for United yesterday and showed an attacking side to him I didn't think he had in his locker. England will be blessed to have a choice between Alexander-Arnold and Wan-Bissaka for that right back spot for years to come.

Also have to mention Jordan Henderson, who again was superb. There were some good midfielders on the pitch last night in the likes of Maddison, Tielemans and Keita, but I thought he was head and shoulders above everyone else in the middle of the park. His passing is criminally under-rated. Both a brilliant captain and footballer.

38 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I understand your point of view, but if England are on the front foot more often than not then teams will be more worried about what he can do to really expose him. But against the better teams you could either play a 5-3-2, with the extra defender being able to provide cover, or you just play either Trippier or Wan-Bissaka instead. He's 21 so he'll improve defensively without question. Wan-Bissaka was excellent for United yesterday and showed an attacking side to him I didn't think he had in his locker. England will be blessed to have a choice between Alexander-Arnold and Wan-Bissaka for that right back spot for years to come.

You are correct. Sometimes though you have to be cautious ( not negative ) when bigging youngsters up.

Micah Richards springs to mind and many more haven't fulfilled their promise. The fact that Kyle Walker is about 4th choice speaks volumes for the talent we have at the moment. 

Unlike Foden though , Trent and Wan-Bisakka are regular starters and this will be better in the long run for both.

As for Henderson he is a managers dream and much maligned by supporters and the media. Knits Liverpool together. 

Henderson seems to get criticised a lot for apparently being too negative, playing too many backwards and side passes. But 20 years ago we were begging out for players that kept the ball iand didn't give it away needlessly, trying to ping long balls all the time. But despite barely giving away a ball all night, Henderson sprayed a couple of beauties that Xabi Alonso would have been proud of yesterday, and it's certainly not the first time I've seen him do this. The only thing he genuinely lacks is a bit of pace - And he should score more goals than he does.

Arnold is the best crosser in the league but does get caught out in defence. Henderson is back to the form he hit a few seasons ago, excellent and Keita is playing really well at the mo, Liverpool don’t have a weak link at the moment and should have a big enough lead to win the Premiership d3spite their inevitable hiccup.

• Aussie Rules changed the title to Premier League 2019/2020
  • 2 weeks later...

Another fine win for Blades last night !

Out of interest, I looked at their starting XI. All highly experienced players but, until this season very, very few appearances between them at the highest level.

It really just goes to show that football is not rocket science. Or is it just that the Greed Is Good League is actually not as good as the media try and make out ? 

But that said, what a job Chris Wilder (who cut his managerial teeth in Sunday morning football) is doing and should be named manager of the year right now ! 

5 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Another fine win for Blades last night !

Out of interest, I looked at their starting XI. All highly experienced players but, until this season very, very few appearances between them at the highest level.

It really just goes to show that football is not rocket science. Or is it just that the Greed Is Good League is actually not as good as the media try and make out ? 

But that said, what a job Chris Wilder (who cut his managerial teeth in Sunday morning football) is doing and should be named manager of the year right now ! 

I had my doubts about the Blades this season RR but it seems you were right.

Tremendous effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Good game this afternoon. Though United did as well as they can be expected to with the team and squad they have. Liverpool could and should have scored 5 or 6 but they didn't and United were always in the game until almost the last kick.

He rarely gets a mention but Wijnaldum was unbelievable today. Henderson was excellent too, as was Van Dijk, but I expect that level of performance every week from those two.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

Noticed in Liverpool v. Southampton today the visitors played in brown and yellow. As a matter of interest, has anyone else played in brown since Coventry in the 80s?

It was a horrible kit but not as bad as that purple and yellow job Exeter wore.  It looked like someone had thrown up on a bar of Cadbury's Daily Milk.

Alexander Arnold is a world class player who I have seen live quite a few times now. He is essential in the way Liverpool play. Firstly Liverpool are a very direct side. The ball goes in to one of the three front men who are all good target men and two are also quick in behind. Second, the other forward thing they do is switch the ball with a long diagonal pass. Finally when they have got the ball under control upfield the front three plus central midfield start to create near the box. That causes the opposition to defend narrow and usually leaves Alexander Arnold or Robertson free to run and cross. If the ball is in midfield Liverpool push up the fullbacks to outnumber the opposition. When they lose the ball they press immediately and with enormous energy and fitness. That can be an organised press or a sort of radical school boy like chase where three players go after the player with the ball.

A really good team can sometime defend well and break the press. Then a massive counter attack happens often into the space Alexander Arnold has left. If he gets back he will then have to defend isolated against a top class player but with space behind him. So he can't and Van Dyke has to be what he is a truly exceptional centre half. In shape Alexander Arnold is a good defender, but not a great one. But Liverpool are massively diminished when say Gomez plays right back.

Went to Anfield and watched the kids. Probably 45k there. Maybe more. A team full of tremendously gifted technical players able to play at pace. Not quite got delivery round the edge of the box - Shrewsbury would have lost heavily if they were better at that. But that some real talent coming through and the whole side plays the way of the first team. No transitional learning curve.

Archived