onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

7 hours ago, philmpv said:

Anybody know where this jake taylor has gone to Brentford rumour has come from?

Lyle Taylor linked with Brentford not Jake Taylor, can’t see him going to Brentford when he’s not played higher than league 2. 

If his loan was up in the first week of January then I would question it but over 3 weeks left I do think it’s a genuine injury. 

These things happen it’s no shock that a player gets injured, hopefully he will be back in midfield on Sunday however I don’t think, Joyce, Atkinson or Burgess did bad today.

Advert

I think that may be it with Sproson because even in watching back some previous games earlier in the season on ifollow he would very often be praising Crookes to the hilt, whom he also represents. He’s way too negative IMO to the point of it being blatantly obvious against certain players. 

But anyway i think in the main in difficult conditions we defended relatively well, I don’t think anyone was particularly poor. On a pitch like that when we were clearing our lines we did struggle sometimes to find Pope all the time and also with our backs against the wall in that last ten mins anywhere seemed to do for the ball. But having said that we also played some decent stuff. Both Monty and Gibbo got good crosses in first half for Pope. I made a point of comparing fullbacks today because I think Rose, Kahn and Hamilton are dangerous players. In the first half bar a fantastic through ball inbetween Gibbo and Legge, when Legge came sliding across with a great tackle, Gibbo wasnt beaten by his man. Monty went through a spell of struggling in that first half and ended up being booked for bringing his man down, they definitely had more joy down there. But as the first half wore on he was able to get forward more. Second half Hamilton switched wings and pretty much got 2 crosses in, one of which he scored with. Monty on the other hand I thought was being targeted a lot more with long diagonals and some decent play down their wing between their right back and right winger. But having said that  I didn’t actually think he was being as exposed second half as he was in the first half. In the car on the way home we were discussing the fullbacks between us and i think we all had different opinions but we pretty much all agreed that Gibbo is sometimes more judged on his forward play and if he isn’t bombing forward  then some think he’s had a bad game, instead of being judged on what he’s doing when we have to dig in as well. Whereas Monty (because he’s a winger) is sometimes given a bit of a free pass defensively and maybe isn’t expected to do what a fullback should.

I think It’s becoming more and more evident that we need a proper left back in from a defensive point of view  I’ve watched the goals again and I think Monty positionally is too far away from Smith, there’s a massive gap between them. A few yards to his right and he deals with the ball in comfortably, as it happened that fine margin of a couple of yards meant he was stretching and didn’t get enough on the clearance, it just seemed to come from nothing. That’s the killer goal there, they haven’t earned that goal through good play but it gives them something to go for in the final ten minutes, because up til that point I thought we looked comfortable. Second goal I initially thought Amoo should have done better but in fact he came across to his man and it was atkinsons player who’d ran off him and was free and running on to the defence. In that situation the full back has to keep his shape and be close to his centre half to stop them playing between them and also to stop the shot, if the ball goes out wide to the player overlapping then we have to deal with the cross coming into the box instead. Unfortunately we didn’t deal with it, in fact it’s hard to believe how that’s gone through brown and into the net. 

Second half I thought Atkinson and Burgess did really well, they came into the game much more. I felt that Amoo and worrall had quiet games and didn’t get close enough to Pope, who imo worked his socks off. Smith had a good second half but first half he got caught on the ball a couple of times and was struggling aerially against their big lad. But what a goal he scored. I really wonder if someone will come in for him in January or in the summer, he’s having a very good season. 

Like a lot of mentioned, You’d probably take a point  before kick off but when you concede two in the last 8 minutes again that isn’t good enough. It’s something that seems to keep happening and I’m not sure where the blame lies. The team need to get together and work on it because it happens far too much for it to be ‘just one of those things that happen’

the manager also needs to take some criticism as well, he needs to slow the game down, make a sub, waste a few seconds. He seems to just hope for the best sometimes Askey does for me and let’s things go. 

mansfied are probably another of those sides that are far better than the league position suggests and just have had a poor manager for too long to make the top 7 now. When you can bring on Jacob Melis, Nicky Maynard and Otis Khan and still have Craig Davies on the bench you can see they have a squad better than most in the league including ours. 

swindon will be tough and quite possibly we will lose 2/3/4 to these with the amount of goals and chances they take it’ll take something strange for them not to score against us.

another few defeats in quick succession will see us too far off the play offs possibly by end of January so we need to make sure we finish the season around half way and then we can say we’ve not had a too bad a season and then still 4/5 quality players are needed if we are to achieve play offs next season . 

you’d hope the Man City money would make these signings possible if the owners are serious about wanting promotion. We shall see?

Not posted for a while but ...AARRGGHHH!!!

What might have been again... this is so frustrating. I feel we really should be in the top 6 at least, but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot.We have the basis of a good team at this level but we just can't control a match when we need to.

Brown at fault all day long for the 2nd although Gibbo should have been closer.

This issue about Sproson is obvious and something the club should address. Should he be allowed to commentate on his players for example, moan about others too. Appreciate he’s a Vale man but he’s also got an earning to make so judgments may sometimes be clouded. 
As for Askey’s subs, a trip to Specsavers is needed if he couldn’t see that change was needed. 

27 minutes ago, MBE said:

What might have been again... this is so frustrating. I feel we really should be in the top 6 at least, but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot.We have the basis of a good team at this level but we just can't control a match when we need to.

Yeah really poor from Brown undoing a lot of great work from the side, especially Burgess who had his best game for us in my opinion,

As others have commented on, why, oh why, do we concede so many goals after the 90 mins mark?  We keep doing it far too many times. Okay, yes, it's a tribute to the way in which we've improved that a 2-2 draw away from home feels so disappointing, but to be 0-2 up with only 9 mins to play and then throw it away is beyond disappointing!

2 hours ago, MBE said:

Yep we should have won that and at 2-0 I really thought we were comfortable. 

Honestly mate one of the basics of coaching with a back 4 is the distances between each other and a full back should never go out to stand with a winger if it leaves a massive hole between him and the centre half. It’s to stop the opposition sliding a pass inbetween them or having enough space to shoot. They did it first half with a great ball inbetween Gibbo and Legge that Legge had to slide in for, after that they got closer to each other to stop that. Monty and Smtih were positionally too far away from each other for the first goal for example as he was out standing with his winger. If he’s narrower and closer to smith he reaches that long ball easily. We were seeing It often earlier this season with Crookes and Amoo / Monty on the left where opposition were getting overloads outside them and getting balls in outside Crookes. if a player doesn’t go with his runner then a full back is totally up shltstreet when they have a man over and we saw it yesterday for that second. Watching it again I’m convinced it’s Atkinson that switches off for a split second when his man has the ball running at gibbo, watch his body language when he realises and tries to put a sprint in to get back into position. By then it’s too late as they’ve got a man over on the outside. On another day brown saves that comfortably. But it’s disappointing that 2 little lapses cost us what was looking a comfortable win IMO. 

I’ve calmed down after yesterday now, but it was really was a sickener yesterday. How can we blow a two goal advantage so easily, the boys and the management team need to look at themselves because we can’t see games out. I’ve been to Salford, Orient and now Mansfield where we have conceded in the last minute. If we would have held on to at least them three matches, we would be sitting comfortably in a play-off position. 

However, I do believe we played reasonably well yesterday. The first 25 minutes we weathered the storm, but after that I thought we had a control of the entire of the game. Our first goal was fantastic, Smith really deserves a lot of praise for that goal and his performances as of late. Our second goal was a bit more scrappy, but it doesn’t matter how it goes in. So I applaud Legge for battling to poke it in. After the two goals, I really thought we’d go on to win and see the game out. The midfield were controlling the game fantastically. Special mention to Atkinson, I thought he was fantastic yesterday. Then Mansfield lumped a helpless ball up field (like they were doing all game) and Montaño flapped at it. He should have gained a bit of composure and either brought the ball down or passed it to Legge or Brown. It was an easy finish for Maynard. After that, I was expecting the worse and it inevitably came. Hamilton was left on his own and slotted it in. I believe Brown could have done a bit better with it. 

We go again now against the league leaders on Sunday. It will be a very tough game, a point would be decent. Then Macc after where we should be looking for 3 points. 

Don’t be too down Valiants. We are heading in the right direction and we are only a few tweaks away from being a good side. 

Keep The Faith!

After a day of reflecting, a draw was entirely fair.

We started and ended poorly; they should have scored in the opening stages when Rose shanked on over when it was easier to score. Cook was dominating aerially and it was the only time I've seen Legge beaten to numerous aerial contests. CJ Hamilton, who is an excellent player and always scores against us, was causing havoc against Monty. I feared the worst.

However, the lads settled afterwards and we finished the stronger side. Amoo missed a golden chance with a free header and we started to move the ball very nicely, with Atkinson impressing as well as the centre halves.

It was a test of their new manager to see if he'd recognise we'd turned the tide but fortunately the second half started as the first ended, with us on top. Rose missed another good chance but apart from that we kept the ball nicely and deserved our lead, a well-worked goal and another assist for Amoo from an excellently driven cross from the right channel (more on Amoo later).

Mansfield seemed to visibly capitulate, giving away needless fouls, and our second, whilst scrappy, was again deserved and we looked home and dry.

Alas, when you have Nicky Maynard and Otis Khan to deploy from the bench, you've always got a fighting chance. Montano had settled well but a characteristic clumsy clearance gave Maynard a chance he wasn't ever going to miss. I knew from that point that the equaliser was coming; similar events at Orient and Salford had made me accepting of a late collapse. Lo and behold, Gibbons was left isolated with 2 men (this wasn't his fault at all, just a poor defensive shape; the clown who rang RS to claim Gibbons was always at fault was clearly no fan, as Gibbons was outstanding against Cheltenham and not at fault today), and Hamilton strikes once more.

Draw was fair. The players' battled and worked and given the 'new manager bounce' and the undoubted talent in that squad, I think most would take a draw pre-match; the way it happened was a sickener, though. Good games for Legge, Smith, and Atkinson.

The half way point yields the Valiants in 10th, with 31 points. All of the xG stats now point us to being the 10th best side in the league, so this is no false position one way or another. There is a top 9 battling seriously for the playoffs, with Swindon the Champions elect in my view, and then the middle pack, of which we lead and are the best side. We lack the depth and firepower to compete with those top sides, in my view. We've played everyone bar Swindon and have established ourselves as a decent, hard-working, well coached side who maybe lack one or two premium talents in key areas.

A slight moan; thank you to the group of 4 who had a good go at sidetracking my afternoon with what was a concerted attack on David Amoo for, and I'm being serious, a continious 30 minutes of bellicose belligerence. The stick they gave, for a solid 30 minutes, was beyond anything I've heard at a football match. Amoo is lazy, and pulls out of challenges, and makes the wrong runs, but he has set up 2 goals in his last 2 games, which is obstensibly his job. I can understand criticism of Amoo but to verbally give the lad stick, and then sit discussing amongst themselves, clearly paying no attention to the game, how bad he was, how he needs getting rid of, and a very questionable remark relating to how he typified 'black wingers', was infuriating and I sincerely hope I never have the displeasure of sitting near such a miserable group of moaning sods in my time again. Even when he assisted, 'that's not enough, get him off'. We went 2-0 up and the first thing they remarked as we sat down post-celebration was 'Amoo is f******* useless'.

A very decent half season for the club; a 7.5 from me. Question is, how do we approach January? Do we gamble on a big-name striker, accepting the likelihood of being overcharged and the lack of guarantee he does the business, or do we save for the summer when players are more available and prices are more sensible? Big month ahead for the club.

A long essay but definitely a time for reflection for Vale fans; we genuinely came very close to liquidation in May, far closer than many fans appreciate. To be 10th, with a plum tie, Robbie concert, having a club run properly and ethically, and to be enjoying games of football with my old man is beyond my most optimistic expectations for this season, so Up the Shanahans and Up the Askey.

Hope all Valiants (The Anti-Amoo League of Abuse aside) have a lovely festive break. See you all for what will likely be a ropey day on Sunday.

Archived