onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carols Christmas Message

blackdog

I hope this is Ok...... Ive pinched this from Facebook........Just how lucky are we ?
Carol Shanahan  qMfrbz8Zbjq.pngfeeling thoughtful at Port Vale FC.
9 hrs · Stoke-on-Trent · 

As it so often does Facebook reminded me the other day what an enormous difference a year (and especially this one) can make in your life.

Last year I was corralling all the family to watch a Vale game as a start to Christmas, defining a draw as a win, having to begin to except that, as things were going, Port Vale were probably about to drop out of the EFL. Frankly life as a Vale fan was really tough and we kept our spirits up by supporting each other and trying to always think positively.

If you had told me then that, just one year later, I would be having sleepless nights over the allocation of 8,000 match tickets for Port Vale’s FA Cup visit to Man City. That this, along with the development of rest of the club would be partially my own personal responsibility I would have laughed in their face. Don’t even begin to talk about having 6 months to stage a concert for Robbie Williams’s home coming to Port Vale and Vale Park. At this point I would have woken up and pinched myself to find it was all a dream.

But here we are!

From the start of our journey as custodians of Port Vale FC I have felt strongly that we are a Championship club that, through a number of years of neglect and under investment, happen to be in League 2 at the moment.

In each area of the club it has been important to create the vision of “what does this need to look like to be Championship ‘fit for purpose’?” and let’s create plans, running parallel on and off the pitch, to get there in whatever time it takes.

The ticketing system was one of the initial areas for major concern. We can not move sufficiently forward with hand written receipts for season tickets (quaint as they are) or not knowing our fan base (our customers) well. Dreams of membership schemes that reflect loyalty and commitment to the club are just that, Dreams, until we define our future requirements and source the system that will take us there. Work has been underway with this and a decision will be taken in the new year. We totally underestimated the urgency of getting this installed.

It saddens me greatly to see Vale fans upset and not able to give a positive answer to their requests for Man City tickets but I do then have to balance it out with the fact that I wouldn’t swap this year’s problems with last!

Colin said in the press yesterday that we will learn a lot from this experience and he was absolutely right. Whether it’s how we make strategic decisions, the urgency we give to upgrading our systems, how we coordinate our messages to the press, or the many other questions we need to consider we will attack them with renewed energy and insight in the new year. But first we have 4 other games and 12 important points to play for over Christmas before our “carrot at the end of the tunnel” (as Scott Brown called it on Radio Stoke!) match at the Etihad. We will try our very best to help our loyal fans who haven’t got tickets. Please return any you don’t need so we can redistribute.

Have a great Christmas everyone and a brilliant new year. Can’t tell you how much we, as a Shanahan and Port Vale family are looking forward to it. We couldn’t be more grateful for your support and commitment to the club’s journey.

Up the Vale
Carol
xxx

Advert

Well said, I don't think many fans at the start of the season thought Vale would be in this position and have the issues described. The Man.City ticket situation is unfortunate but "easy" to get right in retrospect, can only try and make things right for fans who've missed out.

Port Vale FC is making excellent progress under the Shanahan's watch.

Merry Christmas to all the Vale family and especially to you Carol and Kevin for all you have done for our great club. I hope you sleep better because I know deep in your hearts you did what you thought was right and perhaps as supporters we need to, like you, learn from this experience. Now 67 after watching Vale from the Kop as an 11 year old, my first away match. Yes I’m disappointed I can’t watch my team with my family but having now bought tickets from Man City I will still see them at that great stadium.

The greatest disappointment in my life was that always from those early years I was promised by my god parents, sadly now departed, that should the Vale ever get to Wembley they would pay for the tickets. Alas when we got there the promise was broken.  It still hurts today so siting anywhere in that stadium to see MY team is a privilege.

Carol carry on what you’re doing and hopefully your reign will go down in Vale history as one of the highlights ala the Rudge years. Communicating like you do is a far cry from what has gone on in the past and is appreciated UTV

Clear, honest, informative and positive. As a fan, I cannot ask for anything more from my club's owner. When you read about Bury fans forming a phoenix club or Macclesfield postponing another fixture, it makes you think "that could have been us" and just how lucky we are right now...

Every day I think what a lucky lot we are to have the Shanahans as our owners. When I look back at the dross who previously owned us I realise that we have gone from being controlled by some of the worst owners in the entire Football League to possibly the very best.

I also wonder what the people who berated us protesters and those that refused to receive a red card during our protests are thinking today?

I was personally accused of being a serial protester this was purely because I and a number of us could see that both of the previous two owners were only interested in feathering their own nests.

I sincerely promise that as long as the Shanahans are in control I will never say a negative word against them because they are a credit to both Port Vale and to Stoke on Trent and I can't thank them enough for getting us out of the clutches of a vile man!

Be nice at man city whatever the score or how good bad the game a prolonged chant  "thank you very much carol n kevin thank you very much etc"

They are great,caring honest,resilient but also driven hard working people that can seemingly make decisions for the cause,, I assume anyone that doesn't match their effort ,commitment  and drive best get out of the way or move on-- fantastic and perfect for us , in time hope they get their stake money/outlay back as well as continue to push us forward.

Carols words are the ultimate, alternative queens speech ,,,,,Long live the queen 😉

I hope that Carol and Kevin read the positive feedback and feel the love in return that massively outweighs the few evergreen moaners that walk through life with scowling expressions. I believe that so many of our real fans are extra grateful because of the dire times that we've all had to endure and now we have the vision of our club gearing up for success instead of abject failure and oblivion. How long that success will take is indefinable,  but we can all see the process has already begun and is arguably ahead of schedule,  considering  the short time that Carol and Kevin have been in charge. So please ignore all the negative people who crave a setback, eager to ply their abysmal trade  and carry on supporting  and encouraging the whole club,  to make that positive vision and success is ultimately realised. "Theres only one Port Vale"

On 20/12/2019 at 17:00, blackdog said:
I hope this is Ok...... Ive pinched this from Facebook........Just how lucky are we ?
Carol Shanahan  qMfrbz8Zbjq.pngfeeling thoughtful at Port Vale FC.
9 hrs · Stoke-on-Trent · 

As it so often does Facebook reminded me the other day what an enormous difference a year (and especially this one) can make in your life.

Last year I was corralling all the family to watch a Vale game as a start to Christmas, defining a draw as a win, having to begin to except that, as things were going, Port Vale were probably about to drop out of the EFL. Frankly life as a Vale fan was really tough and we kept our spirits up by supporting each other and trying to always think positively.

If you had told me then that, just one year later, I would be having sleepless nights over the allocation of 8,000 match tickets for Port Vale’s FA Cup visit to Man City. That this, along with the development of rest of the club would be partially my own personal responsibility I would have laughed in their face. Don’t even begin to talk about having 6 months to stage a concert for Robbie Williams’s home coming to Port Vale and Vale Park. At this point I would have woken up and pinched myself to find it was all a dream.

But here we are!

From the start of our journey as custodians of Port Vale FC I have felt strongly that we are a Championship club that, through a number of years of neglect and under investment, happen to be in League 2 at the moment.

In each area of the club it has been important to create the vision of “what does this need to look like to be Championship ‘fit for purpose’?” and let’s create plans, running parallel on and off the pitch, to get there in whatever time it takes.

The ticketing system was one of the initial areas for major concern. We can not move sufficiently forward with hand written receipts for season tickets (quaint as they are) or not knowing our fan base (our customers) well. Dreams of membership schemes that reflect loyalty and commitment to the club are just that, Dreams, until we define our future requirements and source the system that will take us there. Work has been underway with this and a decision will be taken in the new year. We totally underestimated the urgency of getting this installed.

It saddens me greatly to see Vale fans upset and not able to give a positive answer to their requests for Man City tickets but I do then have to balance it out with the fact that I wouldn’t swap this year’s problems with last!

Colin said in the press yesterday that we will learn a lot from this experience and he was absolutely right. Whether it’s how we make strategic decisions, the urgency we give to upgrading our systems, how we coordinate our messages to the press, or the many other questions we need to consider we will attack them with renewed energy and insight in the new year. But first we have 4 other games and 12 important points to play for over Christmas before our “carrot at the end of the tunnel” (as Scott Brown called it on Radio Stoke!) match at the Etihad. We will try our very best to help our loyal fans who haven’t got tickets. Please return any you don’t need so we can redistribute.

Have a great Christmas everyone and a brilliant new year. Can’t tell you how much we, as a Shanahan and Port Vale family are looking forward to it. We couldn’t be more grateful for your support and commitment to the club’s journey.

Up the Vale
Carol
xxx

Absolutely brilliant post that sums up succintly (and honestly) just why Carol & Kevin's purchase of PV is the best thing to happen to us for yonks!  Thank you so much family Shanahan for caring for 'family' Port Vale. A very happy Christmas to you and all PV supporters. Up the Vale and a happy 2020 when it arrives!

Archived