Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I consider where we were last season and how far we have come under the new regime anybody knocking the manager and players needs to give their head a wobble. We lost 13 (Thirteen) home game

Hard earned draw against a top 3 team who don't let goals in especially away from home,we would have got nothing from that game last season. I'm getting a bit cheesed off with the lumps who seem

Looking forward to seeing the team roared on by the extra new 4000 fans!  

1 hour ago, old sage said:

You can't say he was well fed Joe. yes there were two crosses which he could have converted but one of them was fired into him making it hard to redirect while the other he used the wrong foot to try and score. All strikers can screw up as Match of the Day exposed last night. That said he was left abandoned with next too no support for 95% of the game and even when Cullen was introduced he spent most of the few minutes that he was on playing in midfield.  

Come on Mike, I know you're a big fan but when he's missing two sitters from inside the 6 yard box you can't say he'n not had a good supply of balls.

What do you want? Someone to walk it to the goal line and then wait for Pope to slam home?

He played well but didn't score the goals from chances that were created for him, which is what he's there to do. Fans are the first to excuse a poor Pope performance with a lack of service but I think Amoo, Gibbons, Worrall, Monty, Taylor, and Joyce gave him ample service yesterday.

4 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

A very fair assessment Joe.

Yesterday he was not isolated and had plenty of crosses delivered and did not score.  Bennett has contributed well to winning performances yet gets castigated because he hasn’t scored.

Agree his all round play was decent, but aren’t all strikers judged on their goal return?

If Bennett had put in the EXACT same performance yesterday, he'd get all sorts of stick for being profligate.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

Possibly one of Gibbons best ever performances in my opinion. Head and shoulders my MOTM. Smith clear in second.

Makes a nice change doesn't it to be able to have a debate about this rather than just filling in "Scott Brown" every week?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Pope actually missed 3 chances all in the 6 yard box from great crosses. Other than that he had a very good game IMO. I thought we got players higher up the pitch a lot more yesterday than in recent games. 

I think the Old Sage will point out that Speedy has made a poor job of cutting the grass in the 6 yard box causing those to be missed

Edited by Bald Eagle

25 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If Bennett had put in the EXACT same performance yesterday, he'd get all sorts of stick for being profligate.

Putting aside the chances Pope missed.

But bennett has never put a performance in as good as that in terms of being a target man for us. I don’t think he’s capable of being that kind of player, that’s not his game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old sage said:

You can't say he was well fed Joe. yes there were two crosses which he could have converted but one of them was fired into him making it hard to redirect while the other he used the wrong foot to try and score. All strikers can screw up as Match of the Day exposed last night. That said he was left abandoned with next too no support for 95% of the game and even when Cullen was introduced he spent most of the few minutes that he was on playing in midfield.  

You are now at the politicians level of excuses and re-writing reality! Amoo supplied a constant string of crosses both in the air and along the ground.  I would expect well into double figures.

5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

But bennett has never put a performance in as good as that in terms of being a target man for us. I don’t think he’s capable of being that kind of player, that’s not his game. 

Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

That's fair, but Bennett brings a bit of pace and very good pressing ability.

I remember him setting up a Smith goal in a home game with an excellent flick across the box.

Bennett's by no means brilliant but he got all sorts of stick for not scoring, and yet Pope, despite having 3 in 19 in the league and missing 2 very good chances yesterday, has excuses made for him.

I just ask for consistency.

For the record I think Pope played very well yesterday and had his best all round game of the season.

Just disagree with claims he was MOTM considering his missed chances.

Also disagree with excuses being made when Bennett gets stick for doing the exact same thing.

Just pre-empting when he bags against Mansfield and its all "humble pie, where are the critics now", when I haven't actually criticised him at all.

• Like 1

Both bring different strengths and weaknesses to the team.  

Bennett was leading the line in our most productive spell, but was left out after the goals dried up.  

He has scored in more individual games, and does not have a penalty in his tally of goals.  He has also created several goals.

He is also far from perfect, and all the strikers will have a role to play at times.

as Joe B has said, just looking for consistency in assessment rather than blinkered excuses

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

That's fair, but Bennett brings a bit of pace and very good pressing ability.

I remember him setting up a Smith goal in a home game with an excellent flick across the box.

Bennett's by no means brilliant but he got all sorts of stick for not scoring, and yet Pope, despite having 3 in 19 in the league and missing 2 very good chances yesterday, has excuses made for him.

I just ask for consistency.

The 3 in 19 has not stopped us climbing the league - the 3 in 1 has earned us fortune!

On 21/12/2019 at 16:56, CambridgeDon said:

FT 1-1. Disappointing. Where does JA have to strengthen in the January window? Priorities seem to me to be left back and centre-mid given Oyeleke's injury record. We have to find a way to break down teams at home.

Now five points off the play-off, with one from the last nine. Let's hope we can use some of the FA Cup money to add to the squad.

i’d say we still need a goalscorer, yesterday should’ve been a 3 points for us. had enough chances. we need a player that can get in behind and can hold the ball up and link with attacking midfielders etc. pope is a target man and is very easy to play up against. we need a different option. January we need a player that ca give us that extra push towards playoffs and score in clinical moments 

• Like 1

Pope easy to play against ??

i’d say we still need a goalscorer, yesterday should’ve been a 3 points for us. had enough chances. we need a player that can get in behind and can hold the ball up and link with attacking midfielders etc. pope is a target man and is very easy to play up against. we need a different option. January we need a player that ca give us that extra push towards playoffs and score in clinical moments 

5 minutes ago, mattpvfc said:

Pope easy to play against ??

in terms of, you know he’s not gunna get in behind yes. everything will be in front of you for a defender cos he hasn’t got the pace to run in behind. if pope starts then our wingers need to be closer to popey for flicks and link up play 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

The 3 in 19 has not stopped us climbing the league - the 3 in 1 has earned us fortune!

I’m still waiting for Archer or Cullen to be given a decent run in the team. I know TP missed a couple of chances yesterday but Burgess also missed a one on one, Cullen had a good chance and Legge had a free header. I thought TP played well and played all the way across their back line. For about the first 20 minutes we were playing just one up front, not a positive tactic at home but that was JA’s decision. I don’t know if he changed his mind or players that were supposed to be supporting TP weren’t doing their job. Yes we should have won and the fact we didn’t saved Ladbrokes £80. 
I can’t knock the performance I enjoyed the game and without staying the obvious a lot better than the last couple of seasons.

COYW