onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Fosse69

7 minutes ago, Joe B said:

That's fair, but Bennett brings a bit of pace and very good pressing ability.

I remember him setting up a Smith goal in a home game with an excellent flick across the box.

Bennett's by no means brilliant but he got all sorts of stick for not scoring, and yet Pope, despite having 3 in 19 in the league and missing 2 very good chances yesterday, has excuses made for him.

I just ask for consistency.

The 3 in 19 has not stopped us climbing the league - the 3 in 1 has earned us fortune!

Advert

On 21/12/2019 at 16:56, CambridgeDon said:

FT 1-1. Disappointing. Where does JA have to strengthen in the January window? Priorities seem to me to be left back and centre-mid given Oyeleke's injury record. We have to find a way to break down teams at home.

Now five points off the play-off, with one from the last nine. Let's hope we can use some of the FA Cup money to add to the squad.

i’d say we still need a goalscorer, yesterday should’ve been a 3 points for us. had enough chances. we need a player that can get in behind and can hold the ball up and link with attacking midfielders etc. pope is a target man and is very easy to play up against. we need a different option. January we need a player that ca give us that extra push towards playoffs and score in clinical moments 

Pope easy to play against ??

i’d say we still need a goalscorer, yesterday should’ve been a 3 points for us. had enough chances. we need a player that can get in behind and can hold the ball up and link with attacking midfielders etc. pope is a target man and is very easy to play up against. we need a different option. January we need a player that ca give us that extra push towards playoffs and score in clinical moments 

5 minutes ago, mattpvfc said:

Pope easy to play against ??

in terms of, you know he’s not gunna get in behind yes. everything will be in front of you for a defender cos he hasn’t got the pace to run in behind. if pope starts then our wingers need to be closer to popey for flicks and link up play 

46 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

The 3 in 19 has not stopped us climbing the league - the 3 in 1 has earned us fortune!

I’m still waiting for Archer or Cullen to be given a decent run in the team. I know TP missed a couple of chances yesterday but Burgess also missed a one on one, Cullen had a good chance and Legge had a free header. I thought TP played well and played all the way across their back line. For about the first 20 minutes we were playing just one up front, not a positive tactic at home but that was JA’s decision. I don’t know if he changed his mind or players that were supposed to be supporting TP weren’t doing their job. Yes we should have won and the fact we didn’t saved Ladbrokes £80. 
I can’t knock the performance I enjoyed the game and without staying the obvious a lot better than the last couple of seasons.

COYW

Cracking game. Could have gone either way so point probably a fair result.

Thought every player was great in their own way. Can’t say how proud I am of every player and the Vale as a whole for the way we’re playing now.

Popey ran his socks off. Can’t believe anyone calling for Bennett. Yes Bennett brings something different but he’s nowhere near the player Popey is.

Embarrassing shouts from someone in Lorne Street about Askey being spineless as he hadn’t made 2 subs? The game was in the balance and whilst I like Bennett and Browne, we couldn’t afford to lose any players who were out there and doing a great job.

When I consider where we were last season and how far we have come under the new regime anybody knocking the manager and players needs to give their head a wobble.

We lost 13 (Thirteen) home games last season,we had no shape and no clue what the side would be from game to another.

Ok Amoo "Appears" lazy but yesterday he was an outlet,Cheltenham realised the problems he was causing and brought on the big no17? to shut the door on him.

Joyce gets hammered for playing the simple ball and keeping possession the idiots in the Railway moan when he plays it side ways or back they want it hoofed up to an isolated Pope and then I guess watch it come straight back putting us under more pressure.

Monty gets pelters because he makes mistakes,what do they want a full back who gets a nose bleed in the oppositions half, do fans really believe he doesn't care ?

Taylor and Burgess made mistakes, thats the nature of the beast in the 2nd division, stop moaning and pretending you are playing FIFA and get behind the lads.

Vale fans love a boo boy,it's tedious and pathetic.

14 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

Possibly one of Gibbons best ever performances in my opinion. Head and shoulders my MOTM. Smith clear in second.

I think that also goes hand in hand with how the winger plays in front of him as well. In recent weeks I’ve been moaning about Amoos lack of movement, awareness and for having no real “relationship” with Gibbons like Worrall does. On Saturday Amoo was willing to make a run behind, he was going wide to free up space for players to run inside him, he was bringing Gibbo in to play when he was free and he was allowing space when necessary on the outside for him to overlap too. All of those things he’s hardly done this season with his fullback, hes either stood still and not given the full back any room to go inside or outside, not made a run behind, not come out wider to free up space or just got his head down and not looked up.  So I see it as no coincidence that Amoos willingness to do all that helped Gibbo out when going forward. Sometimes that comes at a cost as during the game you can see Gibbo trying to get Amoo to do the other side of the game and help him out, we get overloaded a bit sometimes as a result. Hopefully Amoo can continue with that kind of performance we saw on Saturday. 

But having said that Worrall should be on the right IMO with Amoo on the left. I see why Askey is doing what he’s doing with Worrall, but I still think we’re weakening ourselves a bit with Worrall having to be the one sacrificed to help out Monty on the left. I’m convinced that when we eventually get a better defensive left back in that Worrall will go back to the right wing and Amoo go to the left. 

16 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

Possibly one of Gibbons best ever performances in my opinion. Head and shoulders my MOTM. Smith clear in second.

Good shout that.

A very enjoyable game from 2 decent sides. Cheltenham played well and I would like to see their No16 Alex Addai alongside the Pope, he is just what we need on that showing.

Vale deserved the win imo. Much better than the Walsall game.

UTV

15 hours ago, Conrad said:

Yes, I posted earlier in the thread, it was either pope or Joyce for motm for me.

It’s nice to see that nobody had a poor game, and that’s the big difference between this performance and say the one v Walsall, when so many were off the pace on that day.

Cheltenham looked decent without being outstanding, which I think shows the standard of the league this season.  Maybe that’s why there’s a little bit of frustration showing, that, but for a few dropped points, we’d be right in the mix.  We’re still a bit hit ‘n’ miss, but players like Burgess and Taylor, if we can keep him, will only improve.

January will be interesting.

2 hours ago, pete vale said:

Good shout that.

A very enjoyable game from 2 decent sides. Cheltenham played well and I would like to see their No16 Alex Addai alongside the Pope, he is just what we need on that showing.

Vale deserved the win imo. Much better than the Walsall game.

UTV

Probably better because Joyce was back, keeping possession and moving the ball, not always forward I agree but it keeps the opposition moving.

37 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s nice to see that nobody had a poor game, and that’s the big difference between this performance and say the one v Walsall, when so many were off the pace on that day.

Cheltenham looked decent without being outstanding, which I think shows the standard of the league this season.  Maybe that’s why there’s a little bit of frustration showing, that, but for a few dropped points, we’d be right in the mix.  We’re still a bit hit ‘n’ miss, but players like Burgess and Taylor, if we can keep him, will only improve.

January will be interesting.

I think the midfield of Joyce sitting and Taylor and Burgess pressing is perfect and helps the team break and press, even when Oyeleke is back he wouldn't get in my team the same with Conlon.

Archived