onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Fosse69

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Pope was very good in his hold up play BUT his job was to score the chances which were effectively put on a plate for him twice in the second half, which he didn't do. He kept going with his wrong foot for some reason.

Legge, Smith, Gibbons, Joyce, and Amoo all did their jobs better than Pope.

Was still a welcome return to form for Popey, but we can't say he was MOTM when he failed to do his job, despite being very well fed.

You can't say he was well fed Joe. yes there were two crosses which he could have converted but one of them was fired into him making it hard to redirect while the other he used the wrong foot to try and score. All strikers can screw up as Match of the Day exposed last night. That said he was left abandoned with next too no support for 95% of the game and even when Cullen was introduced he spent most of the few minutes that he was on playing in midfield.  

Advert

You can't say he was well fed Joe. yes there were two crosses which he could have converted but one of them was fired into him making it hard to redirect while the other he used the wrong foot to try and score. All strikers can screw up as Match of the Day exposed last night. That said he was left abandoned with next too no support for 95% of the game and even when Cullen was introduced he spent most of the few minutes that he was on playing in midfield.  
Are you for real? If you consider that he wasn't well fed yesterday then I dread to think what in your eyes does count as well fed! Seems that once again pope can do no wrong in some people's eyes

34 minutes ago, old sage said:

Pope actually missed 3 chances all in the 6 yard box from great crosses. Other than that he had a very good game IMO. I thought we got players higher up the pitch a lot more yesterday than in recent games. 

1 hour ago, old sage said:

Come on Mike, I know you're a big fan but when he's missing two sitters from inside the 6 yard box you can't say he'n not had a good supply of balls.

What do you want? Someone to walk it to the goal line and then wait for Pope to slam home?

He played well but didn't score the goals from chances that were created for him, which is what he's there to do. Fans are the first to excuse a poor Pope performance with a lack of service but I think Amoo, Gibbons, Worrall, Monty, Taylor, and Joyce gave him ample service yesterday.

4 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

A very fair assessment Joe.

Yesterday he was not isolated and had plenty of crosses delivered and did not score.  Bennett has contributed well to winning performances yet gets castigated because he hasn’t scored.

Agree his all round play was decent, but aren’t all strikers judged on their goal return?

If Bennett had put in the EXACT same performance yesterday, he'd get all sorts of stick for being profligate.

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

Possibly one of Gibbons best ever performances in my opinion. Head and shoulders my MOTM. Smith clear in second.

Makes a nice change doesn't it to be able to have a debate about this rather than just filling in "Scott Brown" every week?

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Pope actually missed 3 chances all in the 6 yard box from great crosses. Other than that he had a very good game IMO. I thought we got players higher up the pitch a lot more yesterday than in recent games. 

I think the Old Sage will point out that Speedy has made a poor job of cutting the grass in the 6 yard box causing those to be missed

25 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If Bennett had put in the EXACT same performance yesterday, he'd get all sorts of stick for being profligate.

Putting aside the chances Pope missed.

But bennett has never put a performance in as good as that in terms of being a target man for us. I don’t think he’s capable of being that kind of player, that’s not his game. 

2 hours ago, old sage said:

You are now at the politicians level of excuses and re-writing reality! Amoo supplied a constant string of crosses both in the air and along the ground.  I would expect well into double figures.

5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

But bennett has never put a performance in as good as that in terms of being a target man for us. I don’t think he’s capable of being that kind of player, that’s not his game. 

Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing that.

5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

That's fair, but Bennett brings a bit of pace and very good pressing ability.

I remember him setting up a Smith goal in a home game with an excellent flick across the box.

Bennett's by no means brilliant but he got all sorts of stick for not scoring, and yet Pope, despite having 3 in 19 in the league and missing 2 very good chances yesterday, has excuses made for him.

I just ask for consistency.

For the record I think Pope played very well yesterday and had his best all round game of the season.

Just disagree with claims he was MOTM considering his missed chances.

Also disagree with excuses being made when Bennett gets stick for doing the exact same thing.

Just pre-empting when he bags against Mansfield and its all "humble pie, where are the critics now", when I haven't actually criticised him at all.

Both bring different strengths and weaknesses to the team.  

Bennett was leading the line in our most productive spell, but was left out after the goals dried up.  

He has scored in more individual games, and does not have a penalty in his tally of goals.  He has also created several goals.

He is also far from perfect, and all the strikers will have a role to play at times.

as Joe B has said, just looking for consistency in assessment rather than blinkered excuses

Archived