onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Fosse69

I thought the big difference in Amoo yesterday was his willingness to actually make runs. It made it a lot easier for Gibbo with Amoo not only willing to make runs in behind the full back but also with him making a conscious effort to link up with him too and provide some movement. Consequently at times we were murdering them down the right hand side. Also if you look at our goal it came Amoo making that run behind. He just has not been doing that at all this last few weeks. I just hope yesterday makes him realise how good he can be. 

I thought the Cullen sub was strange because he came on in centre mid in a like for like swap with Burgess. He didn’t go up top with Pope.  Yet he still found himself on the end of 2 chances that he should have done better with. 

I don’t know who edited the highlights for yesterday’s game but how all 3 Pope chances aren’t shown as well as both of Cullens misses I don’t know. Also their shot second half that Gibbo cleared with a diving header that looked to be going in as well.

Its depressing turning on the radio after the match on the way home and them constantly putting on air that moaning joker who always rings in to criticise. I’m not even sure he goes to the game. Equally Sproson is another one who is way too negative as well. also they should not have allowed on air yesterday the guy who’d phones to have a dog about Man City tickets, they’ve already done that to death on the phone ins, they should have kept the calls to yesterday’s games IMO. 

Advert

25 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I thought the big difference in Amoo yesterday was his willingness to actually make runs. It made it a lot easier for Gibbo with Amoo not only willing to make runs in behind the full back but also with him making a conscious effort to link up with him too and provide some movement. Consequently at times we were murdering them down the right hand side. Also if you look at our goal it came Amoo making that run behind. He just has not been doing that at all this last few weeks. I just hope yesterday makes him realise how good he can be. 

I thought the Cullen sub was strange because he came on in centre mid in a like for like swap with Burgess. He didn’t go up top with Pope.  Yet he still found himself on the end of 2 chances that he should have done better with. 

I don’t know who edited the highlights for yesterday’s game but how all 3 Pope chances aren’t shown as well as both of Cullens misses I don’t know. Also their shot second half that Gibbo cleared with a diving header that looked to be going in as well.

Its depressing turning on the radio after the match on the way home and them constantly putting on air that moaning joker who always rings in to criticise. I’m not even sure he goes to the game. Equally Sproson is another one who is way too negative as well. also they should not have allowed on air yesterday the guy who’d phones to have a dog about Man City tickets, they’ve already done that to death on the phone ins, they should have kept the calls to yesterday’s games IMO. 

The Cullen sub was strange but it was clear they were very good in the middle and Taylor and Joyce would get overrun if Cullen stayed up with Pope.

I think his inclusion was to give us a poacher if we did get forward, but with instructions to stay in the middle 3.

It didn't work and his worrying lack of mobility slowed our tempo down considerably, though he did have a golden chance which needed a better touch and cool head.

Personally think that people are over critical of Monty at left back. It’s no coincidence that that we have been better since he moved there. I think he offers more to the team from left back than he does from the wing. His positioning and concentration lets him down at times but that’s something he can develop. His passing has never been great where ever he has played. He always looks to have more determination in him somehow at left back than when he’s out wide. He would probably benefit from being told that that’s his position now so he can concentrate on developing that part of his game. 

On another note, we could really do with keeping Jake Taylor and unearthing another another one to play in there. Felt a bit sorry for burgess yesterday he looked devoid of self belief some how. 

We are not far off being a decent side in this devision. 

3 hours ago, old sage said:

Yesterday highlighted just how much we need a competent left back. You never know what Montano is going to do next and I don't think he does either? Also I feel that our manager is too cautious and should play with a second striker from the start. Popey did miss one or two chances but his over all effort and contributions to the game were immense.

Smudge is a great player and was doing his own job and Monty's as well!

You say our manager is too cautious but their goal came from our attack which broke down and they went up the other end and scored.

The players are doing their best and it makes a nice change to watch an entertaining game of football after the last two seasons of really poor fare.

I thought Cheltenham were very good, the best Cheltenham team I've seen. The two fair haired lads in midfield ran into space and they kept the ball well, often better than us. We still give the ball away too cheaply - 3-4 times in the first half alone. Their back three were very well drilled and coached, moving up and back together in a line, and as organised as any defence I've seen in this league. Hats off to their manager and once they get Maynard and Reid back they'll be a decent bet for the play-offs at the very least. It was an open game and credit to both teams. A draw was about right though we might have won it in the second half. An enjoyable game, much improved from the Walsall debacle.

I've often wondered if the formation they use isn't the best at our level. Yes, I know you need the right players to fit that style of play, and I know the weaknesses of the formation, but it gives you 5 across midfield and two strikers. This means they will get a fair amount of possession and will always carry a threat with two strikers centrally. The issue for us I think is that very often Pope is isolated and has no-one within 30 yards of him. The other two "forwards" are out wide and nowhere near him. Taylor tries to help out but he's still a bit inconsistent and largely on his own doing that job. I'm not fully sold on the 4.3.3 style and would like us to get more men forward in home games and pressurise opponents more. 

That said, we've done quite well all season and made definite progress so I can't be too harsh.

A fit Oyeleke would help us in midfield. A solid reliable left back too. We are not far short although I thought at times they showed why they were nearer the top and a bit better drilled at the back.

Nice to see the gifts handed out at the break and the applause for Carol and her team. I suppose it's a good few years since we felt this optimistic about the Club. 

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

You say our manager is too cautious but their goal came from our attack which broke down and they went up the other end and scored.

Would expect him to be cautious against a top team, a side built on defence are likely to plan for counter attacks. Indeed it was a tight end to end game, typical of a 6 pointer, very enjoyable unlike the antics of  Walsall who came to block and frustrate.. Of course there was the unfortunate shirt grab that may have deprived us of a winning  goal, although we did have plenty of chances so maybe not to be our day.

59 minutes ago, TheSage said:

The players are doing their best and it makes a nice change to watch an entertaining game of football after the last two seasons of really poor fare.

I thought Cheltenham were very good, the best Cheltenham team I've seen. The two fair haired lads in midfield ran into space and they kept the ball well, often better than us. We still give the ball away too cheaply - 3-4 times in the first half alone. Their back three were very well drilled and coached, moving up and back together in a line, and as organised as any defence I've seen in this league. Hats off to their manager and once they get Maynard and Reid back they'll be a decent bet for the play-offs at the very least. It was an open game and credit to both teams. A draw was about right though we might have won it in the second half. An enjoyable game, much improved from the Walsall debacle.

I've often wondered if the formation they use isn't the best at our level. Yes, I know you need the right players to fit that style of play, and I know the weaknesses of the formation, but it gives you 5 across midfield and two strikers. This means they will get a fair amount of possession and will always carry a threat with two strikers centrally. The issue for us I think is that very often Pope is isolated and has no-one within 30 yards of him. The other two "forwards" are out wide and nowhere near him. Taylor tries to help out but he's still a bit inconsistent and largely on his own doing that job. I'm not fully sold on the 4.3.3 style and would like us to get more men forward in home games and pressurise opponents more. 

That said, we've done quite well all season and made definite progress so I can't be too harsh.

A fit Oyeleke would help us in midfield. A solid reliable left back too. We are not far short although I thought at times they showed why they were nearer the top and a bit better drilled at the back.

Nice to see the gifts handed out at the break and the applause for Carol and her team. I suppose it's a good few years since we felt this optimistic about the Club. 

If we can:

Sign Taylor

Repair Manny

Sign a left back

Sign a striker

I reckon we're top 7. And I've been very, very cautious all season. Gibbons, Smith, Legge, Brown, Worrall, and Joyce are all very good League 2 players.

I simply haven't seen a side who has made me think we're far away; Crewe scored 5 yesterday and yet we went to their place and looked the better side. Forest Green are up there and drew with Swindon and we absolutely battered them at Vale Park. We battered Bradford for the first half away from home.

Its unlikely we nail January but considering the windfall we're receiving which other clubs aren't, for the first time this year I'm beginning to hope a little bit.

15 hours ago, jockyboy said:

You have been and watched and Pope isnt in your top 5? 

you need heip

All about opinion mate. Gibbons Smith Amoo Taylor all better.

He missed an open goal and was generally wrestled or man handled for the rest of the game ( not his fault ) .

I just don't think he did much . Instead of suggesting I need help perhaps just suggest that you disagree.

Pope was very good in his hold up play BUT his job was to score the chances which were effectively put on a plate for him twice in the second half, which he didn't do. He kept going with his wrong foot for some reason.

Legge, Smith, Gibbons, Joyce, and Amoo all did their jobs better than Pope.

Was still a welcome return to form for Popey, but we can't say he was MOTM when he failed to do his job, despite being very well fed.

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

All about opinion mate. Gibbons Smith Amoo Taylor all better.

He missed an open goal and was generally wrestled or man handled for the rest of the game ( not his fault ) .

I just don't think he did much . Instead of suggesting I need help perhaps just suggest that you disagree.

Pope was excellent in my opinion. Held the ball up well and worked all across the front line. 

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Pope was very good in his hold up play BUT his job was to score the chances which were effectively put on a plate for him twice in the second half, which he didn't do. He kept going with his wrong foot for some reason.

Legge, Smith, Gibbons, Joyce, and Amoo all did their jobs better than Pope.

Was still a welcome return to form for Popey, but we can't say he was MOTM when he failed to do his job, despite being very well fed.

A very fair assessment Joe.

Yesterday he was not isolated and had plenty of crosses delivered and did not score.  Bennett has contributed well to winning performances yet gets castigated because he hasn’t scored.

Agree his all round play was decent, but aren’t all strikers judged on their goal return?

when joeb was just saying we should get a new striker I thought that we should be using archer more. but then I relaised that for once I trust our manager to decide if a player is good enough rather than thinking he is leaving layers out because of a vandetta. good times to be a vale fan.

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

A very fair assessment Joe.

Yesterday he was not isolated and had plenty of crosses delivered and did not score.  Bennett has contributed well to winning performances yet gets castigated because he hasn’t scored.

Agree his all round play was decent, but aren’t all strikers judged on their goal return?

I think that Pope showed yesterday why he’s a much better player in leading the line than Bennet and hes arguably still one of the best at it In the division. I know if I was a defender I’d much prefer to face Bennet who IMO is not someone who’s looks up for the battle. The ball sticks with Pope and defenders know they aren’t in for an easy ride. 

Archived