onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Fosse69

Masterclass in leading the line yet again by Pope, Smith was outstanding, Legge solid, everyone played well although my heart was in my mouth every time the ball went near Montano, don't know what he's gonna do next.

Special mention to Scott Burgess, he did many things well and inter changed well with Jake Taylor, thought he was unlucky to be subbed. The midfield  of Burgess, Joyce and Taylor has good balance and a lot of energy, says a lot for Burgess when he's keeping Atkinson out of the team who's also looked good when he's played.

Advert

All, aside from monty, had decent games today. Pope played as well as I've seen him play for a while in his hold up, linking and movement. Problem was today that the gilt edged chances we created today weren't 'Pope type' chances. Our best creative moves today were from fast and low crosses. Cullen would certainly have put at least 1 that fell to pope away. Way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Monty was shocking today in all respects!

Hard earned draw against a top 3 team who don't let goals in especially away from home,we would have got nothing from that game last season.

I'm getting a bit cheesed off with the lumps who seem to think it's clever to barrack Monty and Amoo comments like they are pinching a wage,waste of space etc.has it ever dawned on these "Fans" that Amoo can only do what he's good at if he gets the service,you can count the number of times the ball is played inside the full back so he can break free.

Monty is not a natural full back, can some one tell me who should play there ? The lad does his best, hes not NOT trying,he's not lazy try getting behind the lads instead of the snidey comments.

19 minutes ago, Mario said:

Hard earned draw against a top 3 team who don't goals in especially away from home,we would have got nothing from that game last season.

I'm getting a bit cheesed off with the lumps who seem to think it's clever to barrack Monty and Amoo comments like they are pinching a wage,waste of space etc.has it ever dawned on these "Fans" that Amoo can only do what he's good at if he gets the service,you can count the number of times the ball is played inside the full back so he can break free.

Monty is not a natural full back, can some one tell me who should play there ? The lad does his best, hes not NOT trying,he's not lazy try getting behind the lads instead of the snidey comments.

If I was Monty and watched Mahrez tonight on MOD I would have nightmares, he is way above my pay grade.

1 hour ago, bobvale said:

I would consider benching Amoo to be honest. I feel he is tired or not trying to the best of his ability and I do not think his place should be guaranteed. Just my opinion friends.

He got the assist for our goal, and generally looked a threat. Maybe he could track back a bit more, but we would miss his outlet if he didn’t play. 

I think the main problem is we haven’t got a 20 goal a season striker unfortunately (like gold dust at this level) which is why we will just fall short on mounting a promotion push. 

5 hours ago, bobvale said:

I would consider benching Amoo to be honest. I feel he is tired or not trying to the best of his ability and I do not think his place should be guaranteed. Just my opinion friends.

Today was the best he's played for months. I believe it was a close call between him and Browne today. There is a good story about something that happened in training with Pugh, Amoo and Askey this week. 

A highly enjoyable game between two decent sides both playing good football and playing the game honestly, without theatrics/'the dark arts'.

Addai for them is a very tasty player and I was impressed by Sheaf, the big lad with the good touch, and Broom.

Don't think anyone had a poor game for us and even though Montano is chaos personified, for every shanked pass and clearance there was an excellent run, pass, or tackle. He's just one of those players, but by no means was poor.

Gibbons was nearly perfect. There will be clubs after him in January. His ability to get forward and put in a cross, his pace, and his love of a good, hard tackle, make him the perfect full back for today's game.

Thought Pope's hold up play and work rate justified his inclusion, but he should have buried one of the 2/3 chances he had second half; there can be no claims he wasn't 'fed' today.

Good to see Amoo back to his best; Sproson said post-match he faded second half but I thought there was a 20 minute spell where he was unstoppable, continually in behind and beating his man.

With Worrall and Joyce back we are a very decent team; they were 3rd and have an excellent away record yesterday, and we've come out of the game disappointed we haven't won.

If we can somehow bring Oyeleke back to fitness, and then recruit smartly on the full back and striker front, I can't see why we can't challenge for the playoffs. We've played everyone bar Swindon (who will walk the league) and are yet to be truly outclassed. We've been competitive against every 'good' side in the league and if we can find a way to break down the more obstinate sides, I think we could be top 7 come the end of the season.

Big plus for me was a good atmosphere, despite minimal away following; it seemed the Vale fans were enjoying themselves and feeding off the energy the players were showing.

Montano was at his most erratic yesterday. Oyeleke fit for the second half of the season would be the biggest plus for me. It's very hard to recruit good, proven players in January. We look a solid top half side, so really it's players good enough for division one that would improve us; which would make recruitment even harder. Realistically I think it's a case of seeing if there is someone with that little bit of gold dust we can sign in any position as very few players will be up for grabs who will improve on what we have.

Yesterday highlighted just how much we need a competent left back. You never know what Montano is going to do next and I don't think he does either? Also I feel that our manager is too cautious and should play with a second striker from the start. Popey did miss one or two chances but his over all effort and contributions to the game were immense.

Smudge is a great player and was doing his own job and Monty's as well!

20 minutes ago, old sage said:

Yesterday highlighted just how much we need a competent left back. You never know what Montano is going to do next and I don't think he does either? Also I feel that our manager is too cautious and should play with a second striker from the start. Popey did miss one or two chances but his over all effort and contributions to the game were immense.

Smudge is a great player and was doing his own job and Monty's as well!

Im sure they are looking for a leftback, and we aren't alone in this, several clubs are in the market for one. I believe the issue is availability.  The counter argument to two up front was we were much more open after Cullen came on yesterday and Worral and Amoo sat deeper so we didn't get into the space between the centrehalves and wingbacks as effectively as before his introduction.  We'd have struggled in midfield as they tried to play 3 5 1 1 for most of the game. Amoo and Worral getting further forward pushed their wingback to make it 5 3 1 1. There isn't a perfect system in modern football; 10 years ago it was in many ways easier as every team basically played 442. I think the number of different systems now being played in division 2 is contributing to it being a tighter league as players used to be matched up against one another and the team with the best players in those match ups generally won.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Im sure they are looking for a leftback, and we aren't alone in this, several clubs are in the market for one. I believe the issue is availability.  The counter argument to two up front was we were much more open after Cullen came on yesterday and Worral and Amoo sat deeper so we didn't get into the space between the centrehalves and wingbacks as effectively as before his introduction.  We'd have struggled in midfield as they tried to play 3 5 1 1 for most of the game. Amoo and Worral getting further forward pushed their wingback to make it 5 3 1 1. There isn't a perfect system in modern football; 10 years ago it was in many ways easier as every team basically played 442. I think the number of different systems now being played in division 2 is contributing to it being a tighter league as players used to be matched up against one another and the team with the best players in those match ups generally won.

I agree. I've seen it so many times where a supposedly more attacking formation is supported by constraining other attacking elements, thus undermining the strategy.

The supply chain from midfield is also significantly depleted.

I guess the ideal would be to have that fluidity with the 11 players on the field.

Something that requires intelligence, on field leadership, trust and the ability to think on your feet.

Archived