onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Labour leadership

geosname

1 minute ago, AMF said:

Did they vote Labour?

No idea, I've not asked.  I'll see them when I go up there between Christmas and New Year so I'll be sure I ask them on your behalf. 

All I was doing was letting you know that the new hospital in Cramlington has issues of which you seemed unaware.  Don't know why you've tried to turn that into a political debate!

Advert

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

No idea, I've not asked.  I'll see them when I go up there between Christmas and New Year so I'll be sure I ask them on your behalf. 

All I was doing was letting you know that the new hospital in Cramlington has issues of which you seemed unaware.  Don't know why you've tried to turn that into a political debate!

I must simply be untrusting of anything that slags off the achievements of this government after Labour's and Momentums election strategy locally.

20 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I can empathise with that, Bill.  Growing up in the North East with a father who had several periods of unemployment I never thought we were poor because my parents always fed us and never spent more than they could afford.  I was 18 before I spent a night away from home and 17 before we had a telly. 

To some extent, the concept of poverty now is different because of expectations.  There are loads of things now which folk expect to have which simply weren't around when we were youngsters - mobile phones, satellite telly, cars (neither of my parents could drive), etc.

On this we can agree fully!  I never got to go abroad until I was 26.  Our family holidays when I was young, consisted of a week in Blackpool in a B & B at the back of Central Station.  My granddaughters on the other hand, have been going abroad for their holidays since they were toddlers--as you say, it all comes down to expectations!  Have a good Christmas.

16 minutes ago, AMF said:

Too many Labour councillors in Stoke-on-Trent spent decades wallowing in self pity rather than stimulating growth in Stoke on Trent. Too busy campaigning for obsolete industries to replace them locally.

It is a fact of history that Harold Wilson closed more pits than Thatcher ever did. I was at Hanley High School in the early 60s and we had an 'invasion' of Geordie lads join us at that school when Wilson was closing the Northumberland coal fields and their dads' came to work in the Stoke-On-Trent pits--this was 20 years before Thatcher was PM!

17 hours ago, bobvale said:

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

You've been watching too much "At last the 1948 show"  great comedy though and as they said in one sketch..... I travelled right around the globe and still had change from a penny!

36 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

It is a fact of history that Harold Wilson closed more pits than Thatcher ever did. I was at Hanley High School in the early 60s and we had an 'invasion' of Geordie lads join us at that school when Wilson was closing the Northumberland coal fields and their dads' came to work in the Stoke-On-Trent pits--this was 20 years before Thatcher was PM!

Depends how you look at it, as a lot of pits did shut down in the 60s as happens with mines when they become exhausted or uneconomic. The mining industry was enormous as the country rebuilt after the war but later cheap oil was imported.

The difference under Thatcher was that it was a deliberate spiteful act by the government to shut the pits as they could use that and the high unemployment their policies had caused to break the power of the unions. 80% of mining jobs were lost under Thatcher and that at a time when it was difficult to find work elsewhere which wasn`t the case with the buoyant economy when Wilson was in power.

If you get your facts from the Daily Mail never take them at face value in fact I suggest you check the date.

Thatcher closed the pits because they were uneconomic, the Conservatives don’t believe in the tax payer paying for unprofitable industries, rightly or wrongly added to the fact the unions and especially Scargill were unprepared to budge on any deal, ie. if one worker has to be made redundant all of them have to. I personally agree with the mines being closed down but what Thatcher failed to do was to re-invest in to these areas so these areas sat there dormant and still are in places like Merthyr.

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

No I am not.  You are describing the fact that death is inevitable, which has nothing to do with fair.  You know it but you arent mature enough to acknowledge you got your analogy wrong and instead carry on digging.

Go and tell the parents of a dead 4 year old that it's fair.

It's not an equaliser for the living it's the dead who are equal..... if everyone is equal you can't get fairer than that. The only time you are equal is when your dead.

Life isn't fair, the world isn't fair, people aren't fair..... That's not a bad thing.... no matter what you do you won't change that. I embrace that fact.

To make a fair society you have to make everyone equal.... but then some become more equal than other..... if you make everyone equal you create an unfair society.... it's a self destroying argument.

I don't have a problem with society helping the people who need help.... to me that means helping them to help themselves rise up the scale not draging people down to create a lower fulcrum point.... perhaps I'm not explaining myself adequately.

Thinking about the Pits that were in North Staffordshire, one of the deepest in europe where one of my uncles worked Wolstanton and Parkhouse where another worked, I have often wondered if they were still alive and the pits were fully functioning what they would be going through with climate change and the burning of fossil fuels.

Would the government of the day be threatening to close them down because of global warming and not meeting greenhouse targets,would the unions (If they still existed)  be striking in attempt to save jobs,if it was a left leaning government would they turn a blind eye and ignore the situation or would a right leaning government be itching to close them ?

11 minutes ago, Mario said:

Thinking about the Pits that were in North Staffordshire, one of the deepest in europe where one of my uncles worked Wolstanton and Parkhouse where another worked, I have often wondered if they were still alive and the pits were fully functioning what they would be going through with climate change and the burning of fossil fuels.

Would the government of the day be threatening to close them down because of global warming and not meeting greenhouse targets,would the unions (If they still existed)  be striking in attempt to save jobs,if it was a left leaning government would they turn a blind eye and ignore the situation or would a right leaning government be itching to close them ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Labour were secretly pleased the unions got a kick in the nuts because they were screwing Labour on the political scene.

33 minutes ago, Mario said:

In today's world of H&S,it would be interesting to see if people would even be allowed to go down a mine?

2 hours ago, bycars rob said:

Depends how you look at it, as a lot of pits did shut down in the 60s as happens with mines when they become exhausted or uneconomic. The mining industry was enormous as the country rebuilt after the war but later cheap oil was imported.

The difference under Thatcher was that it was a deliberate spiteful act by the government to shut the pits as they could use that and the high unemployment their policies had caused to break the power of the unions. 80% of mining jobs were lost under Thatcher and that at a time when it was difficult to find work elsewhere which wasn`t the case with the buoyant economy when Wilson was in power.

If you get your facts from the Daily Mail never take them at face value in fact I suggest you check the date.

I've never read the Daily Mail in my life, nor wanted to! Of course the post-war years were the height of the coal mining industry.  As you say yourself, the world was changing with the advent of plentiful & cheap oil and also the discovery of gas in the North Sea.

As an adult in those days and having lived through the actual time of the miners' strike, I have first hand experience and that leads me to see it through a totally different prism through my own knowledge & research and not from some newspaper scribbling.  Check your history books and try to look objectively how the miners' union and Arthur Scargill in particular screwed over their own members-it was despicable and one of the biggest reasons for the demise of mining. Yes, Thatcher did end the power of unions-a policy that was deperately needed because of the millions of working days (literally--check your facts again) being lost and the damage that was doing to the country's economy, turning the UK into the sick man of Europe.

48 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

I've never read the Daily Mail in my life, nor wanted to! Of course the post-war years were the height of the coal mining industry.  As you say yourself, the world was changing with the advent of plentiful & cheap oil and also the discovery of gas in the North Sea.

As an adult in those days and having lived through the actual time of the miners' strike, I have first hand experience and that leads me to see it through a totally different prism through my own knowledge & research and not from some newspaper scribbling.  Check your history books and try to look objectively how the miners' union and Arthur Scargill in particular screwed over their own members-it was despicable and one of the biggest reasons for the demise of mining. Yes, Thatcher did end the power of unions-a policy that was deperately needed because of the millions of working days (literally--check your facts again) being lost and the damage that was doing to the country's economy, turning the UK into the sick man of Europe.

Scargill was an idiot.  He must have been aware that the government had built up huge coal stocks before the strike was called then he decided to start his strike in the spring as the demand for coal begins to fall.  Gormley had called the 1972 strike in January in the depth of winter - it was over in two months.  Scargill never called a national ballot on the strike so didn't get the support he anticipated from other unions.  He was crazy to do what he did.

Archived