onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Labour leadership

geosname

Advert

11 hours ago, geosname said:

One piece of advice I would offer to Labour..... when scrutinising social media don't just look at the posts from people who agree with you, in fact ignore them and look closely at the people who don't.... if you can ignore some of the stupidity you will plainly see why you lost.... and get those foot soldiers out on the streets door knocking to ask voters, real people, why you failed miserably and why they didn't vote for you..... momentum won't tell you.

I think the Labour activists knew there wouldn't be a happy ending after knocking on the doors of voters and finding that many of them mentioned their leader as a problem.

They are blaming the media for their coverage of the antisemitic scandal but they were out of order and should have rectified the problem rather than blaming the opposition for noticing.

5 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Like you, I can't agree with everything he's written. But it's not all "rubbish" is it?  Take the no money point; there wasn't any left. The politician you can't remember is John Ashworth, shadow health secretary and the problem is that he what he said has proven to be correct.  Corbyn was clearly toxic on most doorsteps and one of the biggest problems for Labour. The ERM was of course, the forerunner to the Euro--and thank God we didn't join it!

You, I'm afraid, are doing what most Labour apologists are doing, and that is blaming everyone and everything apart from the people at whose door the real blame should be laid.  However, I am personally very pleased with that state of affairs. As long as Labour do not acknolwedge the obvious truth that they've abandoned their heartland working-class voter, they will continue to to be irrelevant for the next 50 years!  See my post above for the Tony Blair reference.

You call me a 'Labour apologist' with no evidence for that in what I've written. Yes, I would have preferred the kind of radical agenda that Corbyn promised as the alternative has only delivered fat cats and food banks. But I'm not a Labour party member and, even if I had been, certainly wouldn't have wanted Corbyn as leader - personally I thought Labour went for the wrong Miliband as leader in 2010.

But I digress. Leopards don't change their spots and I see nothing in Boris Johnson's past that leads me to believe that he has anything to offer the country other than more lies and a subservience to Donald Trump that will cost us dear.

4 hours ago, geosname said:

Mobilising youth is all well and good until they leave their safe spaces and live in the real world away from the bank of mum and dad, start earning decent money and watch it get snatched away because the fairy tail they were fed is bankrupt.

Sadly I think the only fairytale in the election campaign was the one spun by Boris Johnson, that public services would again be fully funded and those left behind would benefit. In my opinion it'll be more of the same until Labour again makes itself electable. 

42 minutes ago, For Us All said:

I think the Labour activists knew there wouldn't be a happy ending after knocking on the doors of voters and finding that many of them mentioned their leader as a problem.

They are blaming the media for their coverage of the antisemitic scandal but they were out of order and should have rectified the problem rather than blaming the opposition for noticing.

This reminds me of the two Labour activists that visited me in Porthill after the 1983 election. I told them quite firmly that the reasons I hadn't voted for their man (Foot) were his attitude to Europe and defence. They looked quite shocked but not surprised as they must have heard it so many times.

Not long after Kinnock took his place and the long haul to electability started. Let's hope they learn their lesson this time.

I've already posted my views on the way I think Labour should go but there is no doubt whatsoever that had Johnson received the level of abuse and vitriol that Corbyn received he wouldn't be in Downing Street now. But the millionaire tax evading owners don't want to risk losing their man who will cut their taxes further and make them even richer. 

Come on. Johnson was part of the Vote Leave campaign that broke electoral law. He misled the Queen and broke the law by shutting Parliament. He's got a list of racial and social slurs to his name as long as your arm. He is a pathological liar. He's immoral, dishonest and a complete buffoon. How many children has he got? How many interviews did he avoid? Is there no border in the Irish Sea? Where are the 70 million Turks? If Corbyn had done even 2-3 of those things he'd have been crucified by the right wing press and never off the front page.

That's not defending Corbyn. I've made my views known on him before but it wasn't a level playing field.

What Labour should do is to look closely at successful leaders in the past (Wilson, Blair and to a degree Smith) and analyse their qualities and strengths and ask themselves why they did so well.

Don't go down the same path of failure again and again.

It's like the Vale - Bruno leaves so let's bring another another Portuguese fella who currently works in Albania's third division. If only he hadn't been misunderstood.

On 15/12/2019 at 05:43, geosname said:

One piece of advice I would offer to Labour..... when scrutinising social media don't just look at the posts from people who agree with you, in fact ignore them and look closely at the people who don't.... if you can ignore some of the stupidity you will plainly see why you lost.... and get those foot soldiers out on the streets door knocking to ask voters, real people, why you failed miserably and why they didn't vote for you..... momentum won't tell you.

You are so right. It does not need a sticking plaster, it needs radical change, and get rid of the Corbynistas, Momentum and Mcluskey etc. Will they do it? I doubt it very much.

24 minutes ago, TheSage said:

What Labour should do is to look closely at successful leaders in the past (Wilson, Blair and to a degree Smith) and analyse their qualities and strengths and ask themselves why they did so well.

Don't go down the same path of failure again and again.

It's like the Vale - Bruno leaves so let's bring another another Portuguese fella who currently works in Albania's third division. If only he hadn't been misunderstood.

It would help if they burst the Westminster bubble, devalued the momentum lead balloon and stopped believing their circle of social media followers who tell them they are good drivers after they have crashed the bus in a ditch.

Get off your collective asses and talk to the people you were founded to represent.

You may think you have the best policies for the new utopia but if you can't get elected it's frikin useless.

I am very impressed by the new mp for Nottingham. She is only 23 and has promised to only take about 30 thousand pounds of her salary and will give the rest to charity. Then again, she is a left wing mp so you lot will probably not like her and wish she was jess phillips or ian Austin.

1 hour ago, bobvale said:

I am very impressed by the new mp for Nottingham. She is only 23 and has promised to only take about 30 thousand pounds of her salary and will give the rest to charity. Then again, she is a left wing mp so you lot will probably not like her and wish she was jess phillips or ian Austin.

It's £35,000 after tax. 

Archived