onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Labour leadership

geosname

20 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I beg, Labour, pick Starmer.

A knighted former QC with a clean record. He's not perfect but will look very polished compared to Johnson and will take Labour back on the path to electability.

If they balls this up and go for someone else then its curtains.

I think the problem Labour have is that its membership has been infiltrated by a lot of members on the extreme left wing who will want to have another leader like JC.

In much the same way, the Tories have been swamped by ex-UKIP and some ex Brexit members and have pushed the Tories further right.

I'm quite sorry in many ways that Parliament has lost a number of good "centre ground, independents" shall we say. I think politics is the poorer for losing the likes of Wollaston.

Advert

Jess Phillips is not a likeable person in the slightest. She would be a disasterous leader for labour.

Thornberry is useless.

Yvette Cooper would have potential.

Keir Starmer would be a safe ish bet but his brexit stance is very out of touch and it is rumoured to be him and other senior pro-remainers who have pressured Corbyn from within to form their horrendous brexit policy.

I think they should appoint a leaver, or at least someone who can talk a good game like May did at first.

It's not a particularly inspiring list.

40 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I beg, Labour, pick Starmer.

A knighted former QC with a clean record. He's not perfect but will look very polished compared to Johnson and will take Labour back on the path to electability.

If they balls this up and go for someone else then its curtains.

Labour need someone their traditional voters can relate to and one who can reciprocate...... that's not starmer in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Jess Phillips is not a likeable person in the slightest. She would be a disasterous leader for labour.

Thornberry is useless.

Keir Starmer would be a safe ish bet but his brexit stance is very out of touch and it is rumoured to be him and other senior pro-remainers who have pressured Corbyn from within to form their horrendous brexit policy.

I think they should appoint a leaver, or at least someone who can talk a good game like May did at first.

If a leader needed to be likeable Boris would have lost..... but then so would jezza..... and sturgeon....  I would have suggested believability but again all 3 would have lost.

6 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Thornberry is useless.

With the UK set to leave the EU before Labour elect their new leader the whole remainer v leaver debate is irrelevant. Other than that I agree with your analysis of those candidates.

We'll have to see, Cameron came from nowhere as a bit of an outsider if I remember rightly. So did Corbyn and Miliband for that matter.

1 minute ago, geosname said:

If a leader needed to be likeable Boris would have lost..... but then so would jezza..... and sturgeon....  I would have suggested believability but again all 3 would have lost.

If it was based on likeability entirely then I'd agree, but it is a trait that is important.

Jess Phillips is very decisive and patronising in my opinion, a bad combination when she is often completely wrong with what she says.

Boris is aware of his perception at least, he plays the waffling scruffy character well and the public trust him as a leader. Hence the best Tory majority since the 80s.

I think despite the extremely weak "opposition" from the labour party, Boris has done a ridiculously good job in the short space of time he has been PM.

The leftists on here told us he would not be able to renegotiate a deal with the EU, that he couldn't command a majority and therefore could not call an election, that he might not win an election, that he might not win his seat. He not only met but surpassed all of those things.

1 minute ago, Wrex said:

With the UK set to leave the EU before Labour elect their new leader the whole remainer v leaver debate is irrelevant. Other than that I agree with your analysis of those candidates.

We'll have to see, Cameron came from nowhere as a bit of an outsider if I remember rightly. So did Corbyn and Miliband for that matter.

I just think it will still dominate the whole of the next parliament and will likely be a big talking point in the next election. They need to prove to their traditional voters that they will accept it now and work torwards getting a brexit that suits most. As they should have done years ago, instead of their attempt to overturn the result.

1 minute ago, Regal Beagle said:

If it was based on likeability entirely then I'd agree, but it is a trait that is important.

Jess Phillips is very decisive and patronising in my opinion, a bad combination when she is often completely wrong with what she says.

Boris is aware of his perception at least, he plays the waffling scruffy character well and the public trust him as a leader. Hence the best Tory majority since the 80s.

I think despite the extremely weak "opposition" from the labour party, Boris has done a ridiculously good job in the short space of time he has been PM.

The leftists on here told us he would not be able to renegotiate a deal with the EU, that he couldn't command a majority and therefore could not call an election, that he might not win an election, that he might not win his seat. He not only met but surpassed all of those things.

I just think it will still dominate the whole of the next parliament and will likely be a big talking point in the next election. They need to prove to their traditional voters that they will accept it now and work torwards getting a brexit that suits most. As they should have done years ago, instead of their attempt to overturn the result.

If you think anyone trusts Boris I'm afraid you are delusional.... it was a perfect storm of an election with the Tories in the eye and Labour caught in the maelstrom.... he was the least worst of the leaders who hit the ground running with a very simple message to all the people who were sick and tired of brexit.

He may prove to be trustworthy in the near future but at the time of the election and pre he wasn't.

The problem as I see it is that labour may as well not even be there for the next 5 years. what can a party in opposition do when the main party has a majority nearing 100 seats? I am also very fearful that 2024 will require too much of a swing for labour although if it is the case that places like stoke have just lent boris there votes then it may be possible.

I don't understand why people think that keir starmer would be such a great leader. He does not strike me as someone who will bring back those who feel that labour has left them behind. He seems to be clever and a nice enough man but I haven't seen any flicker of personality or any ideaology from him.

I worry what the tories will do to make things more difficult for labour. I guess the fixed term parliament act will be gone but with such a large majority they will be able to do anything they like. could they possibly pass a law so they don't even have to call an election within 5 years?

2 minutes ago, bobvale said:

The problem as I see it is that labour may as well not even be there for the next 5 years. what can a party in opposition do when the main party has a majority nearing 100 seats? I am also very fearful that 2024 will require too much of a swing for labour although if it is the case that places like stoke have just lent boris there votes then it may be possible.

I don't understand why people think that keir starmer would be such a great leader. He does not strike me as someone who will bring back those who feel that labour has left them behind. He seems to be clever and a nice enough man but I haven't seen any flicker of personality or any ideaology from him.

I worry what the tories will do to make things more difficult for labour. I guess the fixed term parliament act will be gone but with such a large majority they will be able to do anything they like. could they possibly pass a law so they don't even have to call an election within 5 years?

If they have the votes who can stop them?.... the lords perhaps?

2 minutes ago, bobvale said:

14 years in office will be a tremendous record for the Tories and follows the lengthy term of office between 1979 and 1996 held by Thatcher and Major.

5 minutes ago, geosname said:

If they have the votes who can stop them?.... the lords perhaps?

No, they could just create more lords until any opposition was over ruled. There are also boundary changes, reducing total  MPs  to 600, photo IDs to vote, etc to make things to their advantage following the US way.

11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

No, they could just create more lords until any opposition was over ruled. There are also boundary changes, reducing total  MPs  to 600, photo IDs to vote, etc to make things to their advantage following the US way.

We live in very scarey times my friend. I see that Tommy Robinson joined the conservatives yesterday. Going to give my grand daughter an extra special hug when I go round tonight. I really fear for the world in which she shall grow up.

Archived