Sign in to follow this  
Iron Curtain

Booing our own players

I gave up on that when i got to the bit where he said that there was more racism etc in football now and it was all the fault of Brexit. Yet another 'expert' who has an agenda already and simply makes up, or selects 'facts' to fit,  Anybody who has watched football for several decades will know that while there will always be a few knobs there is far less racism directed at footballers (in the UK. that is, certainly there is plenty in some corners of the EU) these days. 

Its the Guardian. I haven't seen many articles in the last few years that haven't blamed everything and anything on Brexit. I look at this article and its typical on that score, and its also typical in that an expert waffles on, makes moot points, offers opinions as facts and ends up saying nothing much of substance. Its the implication that footy fans are some base unthinking mob that comes through strongly. Its got the stench of that kind of 'elitist' attitude that is so fashionable (and annoying for many of us).

2 hours ago, Barrierleaner said:

I gave up on that when i got to the bit where he said that there was more racism etc in football now and it was all the fault of Brexit. Yet another 'expert' who has an agenda already and simply makes up, or selects 'facts' to fit,  Anybody who has watched football for several decades will know that while there will always be a few knobs there is far less racism directed at footballers (in the UK. that is, certainly there is plenty in some corners of the EU) these days. 

Its the Guardian. I haven't seen many articles in the last few years that haven't blamed everything and anything on Brexit. I look at this article and its typical on that score, and its also typical in that an expert waffles on, makes moot points, offers opinions as facts and ends up saying nothing much of substance. Its the implication that footy fans are some base unthinking mob that comes through strongly. Its got the stench of that kind of 'elitist' attitude that is so fashionable (and annoying for many of us).

Interesting, this article is over 200 lines... but you discount it because there are 7 lines that say there has been an increase in racist chanting recently,

I would say there has been an increase recently... it all depends on what your comparison point is... so I’m not sure of your point.

Political attack aside... booing your own players, I would suggest, isn’t a great idea! 

I pulled out those lines because I felt they informed the rest. Papers all have axes to grind, It doesn't take a brains trust to work out every single one . mainstream media in general is very poor in delivering actual news and big on the sort of stuff in the link. 

Its no use saying things like: I would say there has been an increase recently.  I suppose it depends on who you support and even where you sit in a stadium. All i know is that racial abuse is taken very seriously these days whereas it used to be deemed somehow acceptable. (Dreadful as it is)

What is that based upon? How is it quantified? Or has it got more to do with the reporting? The political climate? 

I agree that Booing you players may not be a good idea. However, like everything else in life there are exceptions that prove the rule. 

Anyone booing players shouldn't be surprised when the whole thing spirals downwards.

Rely upon the manager to substitute or drop where possible, if it is attitude that is a problem. If it is just ability, why destroy someone who the club clearly needs to play.

Very little gained.

On 10/12/2019 at 16:34, Barrierleaner said:

"waffles on, makes moot points,offers opinions as fact and ends up saying nothing much of sibstance." Much like your very own post my friend!!

• Like 1

Can honestly say I have never boo’d one of our own players, at worst if a player or the team have played crap, I won’t applaud them, but never boo’d.

Edited by Conrad

I’ve booed a fair few. Martin Paterson was the most notable one and I really hope no one will come on here and say not doing so would have made a difference, or that I hurt his feelings.

• Like 1

Will never boo our own players but happy to boo others, refs, opposition managers, bad owners and liners. Never actually boo'd our team despite some of the dreadful football I've been served up over the years (Hereford away in the cup 4-1 springs to mind) 

On 21/12/2019 at 17:55, CAVALIER said:

The comments towards Monty today were shocking. Some folks really need to look at themselves and support the players

Agree! Totally counterproductive...

Monty has said in the past he has suffered mentally and is a confidence player.

So a bunch of vale fans boo and jeer him... what they think that will achieve I don’t know. It’s not very smart.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 16:34, Barrierleaner said:

Anybody who has watched football for several decades will know that while there will always be a few knobs there is far less racism directed at footballers (in the UK.

Did you watch the Tottenham Chelsea game last night?