onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Crawley Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 hour ago, Valiant62 said:

You’ll find they each have a different number on their back as well. Glad I could help but please don’t call me a sarky bar employee.

That's useful as long as they have their backs to you.  I'll have to tell them both to make sure they do that in future - running sideways down the pitch facing the Lorne Street shouldn't be too difficult for them!

Advert

Scott Brown well done didn’t watch the game online but yet again I feel that second half the performance levels dipped and its not just the odd game bar the Cheltenham cup game we have probably deserved to lose each game on those last 4/5 second half displays but it’s ok we are tenth in league so all good in most deluded fans eyes we doing well ,we are not we need to improve considerably I’d love have Brentford’s manager here there a delight ,entertaining,great watch ,shoot from everywhere .
Vale are not 
I think you are being extremely harsh from your armchair. Vale are a work in progress, as everyone knows. Progress has been good so far, but occasional bad performance are to be expected at the moment.

Brentford, whom you laud, had an extremely ropey start to the season after spending a lot of money. Look at Leicester, Leeds, who both slipped up yesterday.

A football season ebbs and flows, and Vale are proving a lot more stable and consistent this season, as demonstrated by their league position and Cup performances.

We are close to the play off spots. And a. Good. Run could see us in there. I'd have leapt at that possibility at the start of the season.

The journey was horrendous yesterday. By the time I got home I was too knackered to be bothered to post anything, credit to all the 200+ fans that made the trip because it’s one of the worst of the season. 

Whilst we didn’t get the clear cut one on ones that they created / were gifted. I thought we got ourselves in to some decent positions to hit the target and were only denied by some very good last ditch defending and possibly a decent save from their keeper too. Arguably we should have done better in those situations. I think watching the brief highlights bears back this out and I can also remember smith just missing out on Popes knock down, as well as Browne and Gibbons having good efforts blocked in that second half too and also that last minute free kick, (which IMO we should have smashed instead of placing to try and force the keeper into a save and the chance of a rebound). 

I thought we looked a lot better with Joyce in the team, he linked things up well again, especially with the full backs. But our problem there (especially on the right) is that I think the wingers movement isn’t good enough and I’d go so far as to say that Browne and Amoos lack of movement at times stifles our full backs. They don’t come inside to give the full backs space to overlap and they don’t seem to look up and play the ball for an inside run for them either. It happened once in the second half when I think Burgess found Gibbos inside run and he got a shot away. So for me I’d be putting Worrall straight in for Amoo next week because he’s so much cleverer with his movement and use of the ball. We didn’t get enough crosses in to the box for Pope again IMO. 

Despite it being a 0-0 I thought it was an end to end game, we were easily on top first half and they probably had the better spells of the second half, but I think it does is a disservice to think we didn’t create much, because I thought we did. Having said that we got away with 2 bad errors from Brown and Legge, on another day we could have been punished for those. Brown pulled of a handful of quality saves. I thought Smith had a good game again, Gibbos use of the ball is improving with experience and he got into some good forward positions (we need Worrall back on that side to maximise their talents), Monty did well and like the right hand side I think struggles to build a partnership with his winger. Joyce kept the game ticking over well and I would be hard pressed to think of a time that he gave the ball away with his passing. Burgess and Taylor had their usual energy and I think Taylor should have done better with the positions he got in to. That knack of getting in to those positions is something that I think will see Taylor play at a higher level, those kind of midfielders are like gold dust. Browne and Amoo has similar games, disappearing for spells and we can’t afford that, but on the flip side Amoo did get himself a couple of good crossing opportunities but his final ball let him down. Having seen the highlights I think Browne was too honest first half, he had a chance to go down for a penalty when he broke into the box. Pope battled well up too and I still think he provides a better focal point than our other options, but just like I said last week we need the wingers and forward midfielders getting closer to him at times. 

No subs was a strange move from the management team. 

Overall to keep a clean sheet is a big positive for the defence, they worked hard for that. We had some good half chances where we got into good positions that we should have done better with, but credit to their defence too there and we got away with gifting them a couple of perfect chances to score. I thought it was certainly better than last week. But it shows our squad depth in midfield and up front when Worrall and Joyce miss games and we struggle. 

Why do Carol and Kevin deserve better? Ridiculous statement. There are 2 teams playing and so many variables in a game of football, it will never always go our way. Show some realism and judge a performance on just that, the performance and not how much you want to fawn over the owners. Even worse is making statements on a game you didn’t see.

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Did anyone listen to the Radio stoke Commentary? Purkiss was on for the first time this week, did they have much to say about the performance / individuals?

Not a fan of Purkiss to be honest, maybe I’ll warm to him but I feel pundits are better when they have more of a connection to the club.

In the game itself, watching on iFollow it was very much a game of two halves. Overall, against a better, more clinical, team, we could have lost heavily.

We got pushed back for most of the second half, left Pope very isolated and some of our passing was woeful. We did get into some good positions but wasted them.

I don’t think we’re just missing Wozza, without naming names too many players are not “on it” at the moment.

At the final whistle I was happy with a point away from home, but we’re going to have to play much better over the next few games to remain within reach of the play offs.

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

We're 10th, into the third round of two cups, and have missed our most important player (one of the best at this level) for the past few games. This comes after nearly getting relegated twice.

To assert that fans are 'deluded' if they think we're doing well is a bit sillly; we objectively are. We're in a very slight dip at the present time which is going to happen but to argue that fans being pleased with 10th place and two cup runs is a sign of delusion is fairly baffling, my man.

To then make some form of comparison to the style of play a Championship team utilises, and use that as a stick to beat our side with, also leaves me slightly confused.

What's your argument? We've had a dip and don't play as nice football as Brentford so therefore fans who are pleased with our performance so far are deluded?

Joe - dont rise to him - Use the ignore button and life gets a whole lot better. Do you really want to spend time arguing with a drunken troll at this time of year ?  He is one of the Glass is 7/8ths empty" brigade . If we loose 5-0 to Man City he will look at it that we are staring relegation in the face rather than we have just made enough money to see us through NEXT season. I only see his drivel when someone quotes him (and other trolls) and every time they sound like my youngest 5 year old grandson. 

6 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

Scott Brown well done didn’t watch the game online but yet again I feel that second half the performance levels dipped and its not just the odd game bar the Cheltenham cup game we have probably deserved to lose each game on those last 4/5 second half displays but it’s ok we are tenth in league so all good in most deluded fans eyes we doing well ,we are not we need to improve considerably I’d love have Brentford’s manager here there a delight ,entertaining,great watch ,shoot from everywhere .

Vale are not 

Speaking as someone who was actually at the game yesterday rather than imagining it in my head, I would politely suggest that you are talking out of your bottom.

I would love to have Brentford's money.  I'd love to spend £25 million in the transfer window.  I'd love to have their brand spanking new ground.  I'd love to have an owner worth near a billion quid.  But we haven't so stop talking nonsense.  I bet you want a unicorn for Christmas as well.

Quite logical to compare a team in the Championship POs.,  with a team hovering between L2 POs and midway.  Far simpler to compare the Vale team when they were in a similar position with todays. I know we do not have a Naylor, Foyle, Guppy etc no need to rub it in. But we are better than last season, cup wise at least.

Watching the highlights, Brown made three excellent saves after half time and we were a tad lucky to keep a clean sheet.

But we also created a couple of good opportunities ourselves so perhaps a point was about right.

Isn't it good to have a reliable goalkeeper again? Another super effort from him.

Archived