onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

Advert

46 minutes ago, Joe B said:

He does but that doesn't change the fact he's around 6 foot, and winning headers against the farmers this League employs is scant preparation for Mitrovic and Grabban hurling themselves at you.

He's a good player but not Championship quality.

Puyol and Cannovaro were both smaller than Smith yet they won the World Cup.  You can still be a successful centre half even if you're not a giant.

27 minutes ago, Santa said:

What did all this debate start on the back of? I think I missed a bit.

The lad's been excellent for us. We should do what we reasonably can to try to keep him, but he has to put himself first and if he leaves then good luck to him. There isn't anything more to it than that.

He took a few years as target of the boo boys, Don't ask me why. But still taking young player of the year.

He is low maintenance, rocks up does his job. 

That is why he is my hero. And he is a bloody good footballer in my opinion. 

Whether it be Nathan, or any other Port Vale player being 'watched' from afar, performances in the next 6 to 8 games will confirm or otherwise such interest being shown,

As mentioned above by Joe B, modern day football is a mercenary world where players do what is financially in their best interest to set themselves up post football.

Loyalty is fine sentiment, but not in the modern game. Today a player can be the 'Bees knees' being touted by other 'Clubs; tomorrow an injury casts a dark cloud on what might be. 

Like most I want Nathan to stay. More importantly - and again like most - I trust Carol & Kevin to do what is right both for their investment in and for all things Port Vale.

8 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Birchall said on Saturday Nathan Smith didn't want to move from Madeley, if true then if Vale offer him something he considers reasonable he''l take it, I hope he does.

If it were me in that situation I’d love to be able to make a long term career for myself at my hometown club. What better way to get recognition than in your hometown? ....But then again I suppose it all on depends on the club coming in for a player, it could be good an offer to turn down. 

Contract ideally would have been addressed last summer, but understandably there was plenty of other things to sort first.

We need to make him the best offer we possibly can without disrupting the clear harmony in the dressing room / stable financial footing we are now on.

if Smudger then decides to go elsewhere, then he would go with my best wishes for the future - unless he pitches up at Sjoke of course.

10 hours ago, Walka003 said:

I think he absolutely has championship potential, he's outstanding for us most games and never drops below 7/10.

We should be moving heaven and earth to sign him up for as long as possible. Just give him what he deserves.

What if "What he deserves" is £5,000 - £6,000 a week which he could reasonably get at Birmingham?

51 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:
What if "What he deserves" is £5,000 - £6,000 a week which he could reasonably get at Birmingham?

Birchall said on the radio that we were stubbing over "a few hundred quid". If that's right we are mad to haggle with a player of his quality

"a few hundred quid" can mean a lot of different things, particularly in such a limited context. Is it "a few hundred quid" a month? A week? A year? Is it £100? Or £900? Unwise the declare the Club 'mad' without knowing any of the facts (particularly given that Birchall's comments are hearsay). Trust in the Club to make offers they consider to be fair and reasonable, both for the Club and the player. It's not Norman in charge anymore you know? 

33 minutes ago, philmpv said:

"a few hundred quid" can mean a lot of different things, particularly in such a limited context. Is it "a few hundred quid" a month? A week? A year? Is it £100? Or £900? Unwise the declare the Club 'mad' without knowing any of the facts (particularly given that Birchall's comments are hearsay). Trust in the Club to make offers they consider to be fair and reasonable, both for the Club and the player. It's not Norman in charge anymore you know? 

I agree. It does depend on the figures and ultimately he is still a league 2 footballer at the end of the day. His breakthrough season in league 1 didn’t convince he’d do much more. 

We have plenty of time to negotiate as he is still under contract. If come March, we need to up our offer to stop him leaving for free, I’d rather do that or let a bigger club get desperate and make a massive silly offer just before the window shuts to maximize his value. 

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:
2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Birchall said on the radio that we were stubbing over "a few hundred quid". If that's right we are mad to haggle with a player of his quality

How does Chris know this to be true?

Archived