Walka003

January transfer window

5 hours ago, JRC said:

It's not a month after this weekend it's a couple of weeks. I'm sure they'll take someone if there is a decent forward available. If not Archer will get recalled and be in a better position for having played a few games. Assuming Pope can still play on Tuesday I think it's 2 matches when we are down to just Cullen and Bennett.

Fair point, but I’d still suggest we need a striker in.  Bennett, Cullen and Archer don’t look like scoring enough to push us on.  Neither does Pope to be fair.

At the end of the day it’s more about building for next season now, so I wouldn’t be breaking the bank for anyone.

• Like 1

Wow how far have we come feeling disappointed losing top of the table however IMO the club have shown a lack of ambition in the Jan window to push for the play offs and signing key players on longer contracts are we happy to consolidate and push on next season or is it a missed opportunity

22 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Fair point, but I’d still suggest we need a striker in.  Bennett, Cullen and Archer don’t look like scoring enough to push us on.  Neither does Pope to be fair.

At the end of the day it’s more about building for next season now, so I wouldn’t be breaking the bank for anyone.

The side is 3 or 4 players short of a decent play-off side. Outside chance we could sneak 7th but when playing well sides above us are slicker with the ball. I think the reality is it's all been about next season since Christmas. Our squad is a reasonably solid one at this level but that little bit of x factor is missing throughout. 

One area I think we do need to look at is defensive midfield, if we are going to carry on playing 433. I like Joyce and he's been important in the progress from last season. He isn't that good a spotting forward passes or delivering accurately. He's 33 at the end of the season and he's made a career out of being a mid table league 2 holding midfield player. I'd be happy to see him in the squad but it's such an important position in Askey's preferred formation I just think we need someone who dictates the tempo of a game better.

• Like 1

Hopefully today's shown JA and Carol that:

1) signing Smith up is an absolute must.

2) if they have any interest in making a move this year we need to invest in Jan. I fear we may have left it to late now.

3) we need to strengthen our scouting team if we are holding all this cash till summer. I don't want another summer of "improving the squad" by signing the likes of Evans, Kennedy, Brisley, Lloyd, Bennett, Cullen et Al. Outside of Burgess and Amoo it's been woeful recruitment of lads who don't look able to step up when needed (Brisley stood staring for two of today's goals being a prime example)

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

If everyone took your final point on board,  we'd have less miserable moaners and a lot more positive supporters who would get behind the club and support it rather than trying to pull it, the manager and the owners apart at every opportunity 

• Like 1

Slight concerns from me at the present.

Club's in a far better state but we are currently reliant on, largely, our first 11, of which:

Brown, Joyce, Legge, and Pope are well into their mid 30s

Taylor is a loanee and we have little chance of seeing him here after May

Gibbons, Smith, Monty, Worrall, Burgess, and Amoo are out of contract.

So of our first 11, they're either entering an age where they are likely to decline, unlikely to be here this summer, or at risk of going on a free.

None of this is the club's fault; its the hand dealt by years of squad and transfer mismanagement. Just could be a very hectic 6 months ahead.

• Like 1

Lots of people on here, on P&G and social media calling for the club to get Smith signed up asap. But it isn’t going to be as easy as that when he knows there are other clubs interested, in a nutshell we need to show our desire and ambition with the wages offered, that’s what will get him signing IMO.