Walka003

January transfer window

10 hours ago, Walka003 said:
10 hours ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51154983?ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_linkname=sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_mchannel=social

Whats going on there. I have a feeling we are holding on for the summer with our cash to be honest.

Didn't they have Wilfred Bony in on trial in the summer?

Yes they did.

The players out of contract need to be sorted. I believe we need to make sure we’re offering players like Smith, Worrall and Gibbo what the going rate is too. In Smith's case he’s going to be attracting attention and if we don’t make a decent offer then we are in danger of losing him. In Worralls case this could be his last big contract and I think other clubs will value those players more than maybe we do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect our budget next year will be a little higher than this year.  The owners won't have to ring fence cash for the sort of stuff they had to do this close season to ensure compliance with league regulations re the ground and so on.  I hope they sort out the likes of Smith sooner rather than later or we will lose him for nothing - that would be a disaster in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2020 at 08:20, Iron Curtain said:

This is the misconception just because he is tall... he plays nothing like Tom Pope.

He is fast, mobile and tricky with his feet. Watch his highlights... not a headed goal in sight. 

Having watched him play couldn't disagree anymore.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 13:38, bycars rob said:

We really need to get some of the better players(Smith, Gibbons, LLoyd etc ) signed up. 

I think we will struggle with Smith. I heard Birmingham haven't bid for him BUT have been to watch him. He's 24 in the summer and if a Championship club come in for him he'll get offered more in 2 months than we can pay him in a year. I suspect his agent will advise him not to sign anything before June. Maybe he'd sign something with a relatively low release clause. Even if we pushed the boat out to 100k a year it's a fraction of what he'd get in The Championship. Age wise he's also the right age to want to try the next level. Before this season his distribution of the ball was poor but it has improved significantly. I don't  see a crazy bid coming in as he's a gamble at a higher level, particularly as he lacks real pace or height (unlike Ant Gardner). There is a possibility someone could off 200- 300k on a take it or we sign him in the summer basis during the final few days of the window.  

If Vale don’t offer players like Smith what the going rate is and there is interest from other clubs, then it wouldn’t take an agent to tell them to not sign. It’s a no brainer of a decision isn’t it. Why would he sign right now?

43 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

If Vale don’t offer players like Smith what the going rate is and there is interest from other clubs, then it wouldn’t take an agent to tell them to not sign. It’s a no brainer of a decision isn’t it. Why would he sign right now?

I'd be shocked if he does. If he was my son I'd tell him not to. He's potentially got 6 - 8 years to set himself up for life. 2 seasons on 8 - 10k a week would pretty much do that. That chance may only turn up once in his career, he'll be 26 or 27 next time he's out of contract and pushing the age envelope for a big Championship team to take a punt. Desperately hope he stays but don't see it being resolved favourably until he sees if someone a lot bigger comes in for him. He can always sign a deal in June if nobody takes a punt. We can't compete with 8k a week, it's pushing 1/3 of our budget.

Edited by JRC

29 minutes ago, JRC said:

I'd be shocked if he does. If he was my son I'd tell him not to. He's potentially got 6 - 8 years to set himself up for life. 2 seasons on 8 - 10k a week would pretty much do that. That chance may only turn up once in his career, he'll be 26 or 27 next time he's out of contract and pushing the age envelope for a big Championship team to take a punt. Desperately hope he stays but don't see it being resolved favourably until he sees if someone a lot bigger comes in for him. He can always sign a deal in June if nobody takes a punt. We can't compete with 8k a week, it's pushing 1/3 of our budget.

Maybe I pine for an age in football where local lads which owe their career to owe academy and football club would sign a one year extension with a commonly agreed release clause (lets say £100k) which we have to accept if a team offers a bid.

It would be severly disappointing if Smith/his representative choose to run his deal down and leave us with nothing. Would completely tarnish his reputation amongst the fanbase, but I guess that's only an issue if he cares.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Maybe I pine for an age in football where local lads which owe their career to owe academy and football club would sign a one year extension with a commonly agreed release clause (lets say £100k) which we have to accept if a team offers a bid.

It would be severly disappointing if Smith/his representative choose to run his deal down and leave us with nothing. Would completely tarnish his reputation amongst the fanbase, but I guess that's only an issue if he cares.

If Smith had a serious leg injury and hadn't played in 15 months we'd have been looking to get rid; fans, players and directors. Loyalty in football is really smoke and mirrors. Ask the 2 youth players just released; it's one of the most ruthless industries there is.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Joe B said:

They are usually added at the request of the player and agent because by the same token a player although he may be happy to sign would also want to be able to leave relatively easily if someone comes in for him.  A big fee could put off potential buyers.

As @JRC Mentions above there is no loyalty in football from any party, players have to look after themselves. Listen to players and managers talk in interviews and the transient nature of the game is the norm and accepted, but fans have a different view because we aren’t in the industry. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

Smith has to look after himself.  As has already been pointed out, if he had been injured we wouldnt be discussing keeping him on because he is a local lad etc...  Its his job, and he will want to maximise his earnings as we all do.  Sadly that wont be at Port Vale.  We are going to have to replace him in the summer and if he does stay it will be a really unexpected bonus.

If he runs his contract down and walks away there will be no ill feeling from me.

I suspect our budget next year will be a little higher than this year.  The owners won't have to ring fence cash for the sort of stuff they had to do this close season to ensure compliance with league regulations re the ground and so on.  I hope they sort out the likes of Smith sooner rather than later or we will lose him for nothing - that would be a disaster in my opinion.
If its only a "little" higher given the money we've made this year then I'd be seriously disappointed.

It's not every year we will have these kinds of funds at our disposal, we need to give it a go next year b

4 hours ago, JRC said:

If Smith had a serious leg injury and hadn't played in 15 months we'd have been looking to get rid; fans, players and directors. Loyalty in football is really smoke and mirrors. Ask the 2 youth players just released; it's one of the most ruthless industries there is.

I don't get your point.

Smith hasn't had a serious leg injury. He's played nearly 200 games for the club and has been able to play professional football partly due to the coaching we gave him as a lad.

I get most players are mercenaries but I always hope players produced by us would be decent enough to ensure we get a bit of cash from bringing him through. I would be very disappointed if this situation is manipulated so that some very decent offers from the club are rejected to enable Smith to leave for free in the summer.

Maybe those morals don't exist any more; I just assumed Smith would be one of the players who'd want the best for the club who got him to this point, being local. Would tarnish my view of him personally.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

A lad called Ben Marshall was released by Norwich in the summer; 28, can play as a winger and right back, came through at United, Crewe, and Stoke. Played 100+ games at Championship level and has nearly 400 appearances, nearly all above League 2.

He appears to be playing for a non-league side to keep fit and wants a team in his area; he's from Salford.

No idea if there's injury problems but maybe would be worth a look.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I don't get your point.

Smith hasn't had a serious leg injury. He's played nearly 200 games for the club and has been able to play professional football partly due to the coaching we gave him as a lad.

I get most players are mercenaries but I always hope players produced by us would be decent enough to ensure we get a bit of cash from bringing him through. I would be very disappointed if this situation is manipulated so that some very decent offers from the club are rejected to enable Smith to leave for free in the summer.

Maybe those morals don't exist any more; I just assumed Smith would be one of the players who'd want the best for the club who got him to this point, being local. Would tarnish my view of him personally.

But playing football is his job, its what he earns his living from.  You went to school, college, university perhaps but you will move on.  You will work and possibly get a better offer and move on...  why is it any different for a footballer.  

The flip side to his 200 games is that he has more than repaid the coaching he has received.  

Bottom line is, he is paid to do a job and if somebody wants to pay him more, he would be stupid not to take it given the limited time he has to earn as a pro footballer.  Just like when Popey went to Bury, you cant blame them for one second.

Another example is Ryan Lloyd.  A lad who grew up in the Vale academy.  Wheres the fan loyalty towards him? 

This is a bit one sided really.

Edited by Nofinikea
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A lad called Ben Marshall was released by Norwich in the summer; 28, can play as a winger and right back, came through at United, Crewe, and Stoke. Played 100+ games at Championship level and has nearly 400 appearances, nearly all above League 2.

He appears to be playing for a non-league side to keep fit and wants a team in his area; he's from Salford.

No idea if there's injury problems but maybe would be worth a look.

Just seen this on Twitter, think he’s a very talented player I remember him being at Stoke as a young lad. 

Also been at Millwall, Sheff Wed, Blackburn and Norwich etc so he’s played for some good teams (apart from stoke) 😉 

Would well be worth a punt however I’d be interested to know what wages we offer out. Id imagine he would want £5k a week minimum