Walka003

January transfer window

44 minutes ago, Santa said:

Managers often talk about making a signing or two to ‘freshen up’ a side. If ever there was a definition of a side that needed freshening up then it’s us. 

Maybe Manny could do this. ( for a couple of games)

Morecambe have signed four players all of whom played last night.  The trouble is they want blokes to keep them in the bottom of the League. We want blokes to get us out of the top end. We could sign players undoubtedly but within a fortnight you’d have folk on here asking why we’d signed them. Getting players is relatively easy - getting the right players isn’t. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Morecambe have signed four players all of whom played last night.  The trouble is they want blokes to keep them in the bottom of the League. We want blokes to get us out of the top end. We could sign players undoubtedly but within a fortnight you’d have folk on here asking why we’d signed them. Getting players is relatively easy - getting the right players isn’t. 

One of whom is Jordan Slew, who we should be grateful did not sign for us this month. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

The problem is, if we have a poor end to the season it’s not going to inspire season tickets sales, which in turn defines our budget for next season.

I think sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. Which in this case means we should bring 2-3 players that can go into the first team, which hopefully has a positive effect on our style of play and remaining results. 

Anyone who saw last night’s game (I watched it on ifollow, but feel sorry for the fans who went) will know we aren’t going to increase our fan base with that team. We are too predictable and didn’t have a shot until the 58th minute. We will not get promotion with Pope, Bennett or Cullen up top on their own and the wingers / inside forwards do not score enough. There is a lot to be done, so every transfer window is important in trying to build a team that can genuinely be promotion contenders and to keep the positive feel good factor up. 

I see your point of view in regard to increasing season ticket sales, but the season ticket holders we have are really hardcore and are the backbone of the club. These ppl will renew every season, I’d like season ticket holders to increase to 5,000, that’s not including those who buy the ten game ticket. 
I’m told that those who had the ten game tickets were treated as season ticket holders for the MCFC ticket sales, so does anyone know the break down of actual season ticket holders and ten game ticket holders. We’re they separate when we announced how many season tickets we’d sold or were they the sum of both tickets. 
In relation to the strikers not getting us promotion I don’t think any team playing a lone striker will get promotion as it only takes two players from the opposition to mark them out of the game, that’s why I suggested an attacking style of play and to stop being so cautious. Still better than previous seasons.

• Like 1

Salford add Michael O'Connor to Bruno Andrade.

They've signed 2 of Lincoln's best players.

In addition they got Tom Elliot who has been playing semi-regular Championship football and looked decent for Wimbledon in League 1.

• Like 1

So O'Connor has joined Salford, this would be the same O'Connor who left the Vale so he could be closer to his family in the East Midlands.

Money talks, nothing to do with loyalty it's all about the money and put yourself in their position you would do the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Exactly this.

January is a bad time to be signing players normally. We should be grateful we haven't the calamity of last January and keep our powder dry until the summer, bar maybe an incoming loanee or two.

• Like 2

Its obviously very risky due to his injury record, but Toumani Diarouraga looked very decent for Morecambe last night and arrived with good pedigree.

If they can get 15 games out of him its a good buy.

I'll throw a wildcard name into the hat:

Callum Roberts at Blyth Spartans.

22 year old left footed winger/attacking midfield who was signed by Blyth after being released by Newcastle United last summer.

He has 11 goals in goals in 18 games so far this season and produced 30 goals + 21 assists in 80 games for Newcastle's U23 side.

He's only on a deal that runs until the summer of 2020 so a move could surely happen in January for a nominal fee?

Capped at England U-20 level and is absolutely tearing up the National League North. Watch some of the videos of Blyth's highlights and he's clearly too good for that league.

He's a good age to develop further and could add some much needed creativity to our side.

Reading through this squad it’s amazing how many professional scouts there are that are members of this forum 😀

Edited by PV1973

7 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

whilst looking to add to the squad,i think we have got to tie down Gibbons and Smith ASAP as imo they are our most saleable assets on current form

Gibbons is rapidly becoming our version of Trent at Liverpool. Some decent assists and lung bursting runs. Needs to work on his defensive attributes but it's his bursting runs why we all like him and his tackling and commitment.

Smith had a real lull after his debut season where he was outstanding. Seemed to be bossed a lot by journeymen forwards , however he is back to his best and i can't help think that Legge has played a big part too. Smith is excellent this season.

Vale's defeat last night was again down to inconsistency, too many players gave below par performances whereas Morecambe had a few players who had above par performances, Mendes-Gomes, Diagouraga and Phillips in the 1st half.

Add to this Popey looked to me as though he got pushed for their first goal, not by the goal scorer but by the guy in front of the goal scorer although Popey didn't appeal/protest.

Time to give Browne a run of games instead of Amoo to see if he can develop some consistency. Not blaming Amoo for last night's defeat, no doubt he can be a watch winner but Vale as a tteam need to develop some consistency some how.

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

22 year old left footed winger/attacking midfield who was signed by Blyth after being released by Newcastle United last summer.

He has 11 goals in goals in 18 games so far this season and produced 30 goals + 21 assists in 80 games for Newcastle's U23 side.

He's only on a deal that runs until the summer of 2020 so a move could surely happen in January for a nominal fee?

Capped at England U-20 level and is absolutely tearing up the National League North. Watch some of the videos of Blyth's highlights and he's clearly too good for that league.

He's a good age to develop further and could add some much needed creativity to our side.

Sounds like a decent signing kind of player we need goalscoring midfielder tell john askey john rudge or somebody at the vale about him before others get interested. 

3 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I would say no, as given his Newcastle United pedigree would ordinarily have been flagged on here by our North East scout, Mrs Jackson if he was worth a punt

Edited by Bald Eagle

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

I would say no, as given his Newcastle United pedigree would ordinarily have been flagged on here by our North East scout, Mrs Jackson if he was worth a punt

I'd posted a reply to valeparklife's post a couple of hours ago but heaven knows where it's gone.  I saw Roberts in the Reserves and he scored for the first team in a Cup replay at Blackburn last season.  I was very surprised when he was released although he had a spell on loan at Colchester last season and didn't do much.  I don't know whether there is more to his story but I thought he looked a very good prospect.  He is doing well at Blyth but they are two divisions below us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I'd posted a reply to valeparklife's post a couple of hours ago but heaven knows where it's gone.  I saw Roberts in the Reserves and he scored for the first team in a Cup replay at Blackburn last season.  I was very surprised when he was released although he had a spell on loan at Colchester last season and didn't do much.  I don't know whether there is more to his story but I thought he looked a very good prospect.  He is doing well at Blyth but they are two divisions below us. 

Many thanks.  Would have been surprised if he had bypassed your radar

6 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Dior Angus 16 games 7 goals, only one division below us. Maybe we should have given him more time

• Like 1

6 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Always like the sound of good prospects and I'll admit that I know nothing about this lad, but has he got a bit of physicality about him that will stand up to not being knocked off the ball as easily as many that are already In our team?

1 hour ago, familystander said:

Dior Angus 16 games 7 goals, only one division below us. Maybe we should have given him more time

That kid from Blyth is 22, Angus is 26. Fair play to him if he kicks on and gets back into a starting L2 position, but he didn't look like doing it here.

In saying that, I don't know which I would rather, Angus and Danny Elliot on the bench or Cullen and Bennett?