Walka003

January transfer window

15 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

After watching the game against Stevenage yesterday, I still believe we are 2 or 3 players away from a genuine play-off push. Personally, I think we need a ST, LB and a winger. 

I love Tom Pope, the goals he scores and the work he puts in for the side, but is it time for a change up top. A more mobile forward? Someone who will run the channels, have a bit of pace so he can run in behind and someone who will have a shot from outside the box. Pope doesn’t offer many of them attributes really. His finishing is fantastic don’t get me wrong, but he never creates for himself. He relies on others to create for him. Sometimes I watch us and just wish we had a more mobile forward. I’m not saying drop Pope, but if we get a good alternative it would be brilliant. Good strikers are hard to come by in January, but if we took a punt at young lad, what would be the harm in that?

A left-back is a must for me, but I don’t think Askey will add in the position. Crookes in nearing a comeback and Monty is doing well there. I still don’t believe Crookes is a left-back, i think his natural position is CB. You can see when he bombs down the left, his natural ability let’s him down. If we got a new LB in, it could push Monty further up the field. Sometimes I think we miss his goal threat. He scored seven last year, but this year he’s yet to score. Maybe a new LB this January, would benefit us. 

Finally, i think adding another winger is key. I like Amoo, but sometimes he can be anonymous. Worrall is undroppable. I’m not convinced by Browne as of yet, he’s got tidy footwork, but after watching his performance against Salford I’m not convinced. Monty is stuck at left-back. So maybe another winger this month would help us a little. 

We have a good forward on the bench with Cullen.He is not a lone striker but can play alongside Pope if Askey will actually try to win games.

3 minutes ago, I HAVE A DREAM said:

A sensible post spoilt in my opinion by the little dig at Askey at the end

Can’t help himself. Which is why anything he says just isn’t given any respect. 

• Like 2

Given what's going on at Macc', and the fact that he appears to be OOC at the end of the season, I suppose if Askey rates him at all he'll be on the list to either monitor or make a move this month. Seemed to be the type of player who would suit Askey's system down to the ground

The lad scored again yesterday - get ironside in. Suspect they’d take an offer

Not too sure how much Askey knows about Ironside, though I suspect that its plenty, but Ironsides record is fairly unremarkable as a striker, so it'll be interesting to see how he performs between now and the end of the season,  though I'd be willing to trust JA's judgement if he thinks that Ironside is worth a punt. Right now I'm far than convinced of that, but then I'm not the Manager. 

23 minutes ago, the valiant said:

Why dont we use the money we were offering for Taylor to get Ironside no chance of Taylor forest want silly money 

"Taylor" money is investment money likely to result in a development payback in the future, Ironside  just a run of the mill player.

• Like 1

My Macc supporting mate says Ironside isn’t a goal scorer... holds the ball up well, links play, but not going to get you 15-20 goals a season.

Askey will have a view... I trust him

I checked out Ironside on soccerbase.  Apparently he scored 41 goals in 3 games at Kidderminster.  The guy is a wizard.

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

My Macc supporting mate says Ironside isn’t a goal scorer... holds the ball up well, links play, but not going to get you 15-20 goals a season.

i know hes had his injuries and will be on good money but Nicky Maynard if injury free would be a perfect signing next season to maybe guarantee goals to get a play off place.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I checked out Ironside on soccerbase.  Apparently he scored 41 goals in 3 games at Kidderminster.  The guy is a wizard.

Do we have adequate wheelchair access?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

That site records goals for National League North level but not appearances. Not sure how helpful that is to anyone but that's what they do. Also they have stuff like this:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=4914

Stanley Matthews is 104 and has 0 FA Cup appearances to his name apparently, even though the only three matches it lists in his seasons data are all FA Cup finals. 

39 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Scored 20 goals a season at Kidderminster and this is his first season of league football.

Whoever helped Campbell with his recruitment did a good job as the picked up castoffs who have done well on relatively low wages. Players I have been told will should definitely be playing league football even if they fold:

Kelleher - thought to be capable of moving up at least one league

Archibald - fullback or winger on both sides who scores goals

Ironside - based on the last month

Vassell - would have been better than Kennedy with hindsight

Osedebe - if he can be bothered

McCourt - decent experience at this level surprisingly only 24

Welch-Hayes - decent defender at this level

One or two of the loan players are allegedly useful. Court hearing due on 15th January. My guess is we would be tracking at least the first 3.

For a bit of balance Ironside notched an injury time penalty after a ludicrous refereeing decision. 

Can't believe myself how we are bigging Macc up.

Vassell and McCourt crikey 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JRC said:

Scored 20 goals a season at Kidderminster and this is his first season of league football.

Whoever helped Campbell with his recruitment did a good job as the picked up castoffs who have done well on relatively low wages. Players I have been told will should definitely be playing league football even if they fold:

Kelleher - thought to be capable of moving up at least one league

Archibald - fullback or winger on both sides who scores goals

Ironside - based on the last month

Vassell - would have been better than Kennedy with hindsight

Osedebe - if he can be bothered

McCourt - decent experience at this level surprisingly only 24

Welch-Hayes - decent defender at this level

One or two of the loan players are allegedly useful. Court hearing due on 15th January. My guess is we would be tracking at least the first 3.

I think Archibald is designed for higher leagues, there were some rumours that posh were looking at him. Albeit from one of those useless transfer rumour twitter feeds.

Strangely enough, 7 outfield players have been mentioned from Macc. The other 3 must just be so so and then of course there is the keeper.

They must have some side 🤨

45 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Strangely enough, 7 outfield players have been mentioned from Macc. The other 3 must just be so so and then of course there is the keeper.

They must have some side 🤨

Well they did spend the early months of the season in the top half until the financial shortfalls became apparent.

i know hes had his injuries and will be on good money but Nicky Maynard if injury free would be a perfect signing next season to maybe guarantee goals to get a play off place.
You could have 3 players in on the silly money Maynard is on
  • Like 1

Does anyone seriously think any of those Macc starting 11 are better than our own? Seems like another case of Vale fans totally under appreciating what we already have under our noses. 

• Like 1