onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

Advert

8 hours ago, cheshirevaliant said:

Only really a fan of the loan market if the loan players are better than those already at the club (Jake Taylor, Sam Togwell 2 examples of loan players I liked). I didn't believe he was better than Gibbons at the time (I know Gibbons had some "time off") and, unless he's improved, I still don't believe he's better than him. All opinions though like you say and it won't stop me supporting him on a Saturday afternoon if he gets a chance. 

Vast majority thought Steve Thompson and Achille Campion were any good though... 😉 

How can you not think he's better than Gibbons? He's better going forward and better defensively and doesn't go into hero mode when he makes a mistake a la Gibbo, leaving the back four totally out of shape.

1 hour ago, JordB31 said:

How can you not think he's better than Gibbons? He's better going forward and better defensively and doesn't go into hero mode when he makes a mistake a la Gibbo, leaving the back four totally out of shape.

Last season I didn't feel there was much between them but felt Clark was marginally ahead as he was less likely to have a rush of blood and do something stupid. This season Gibbons is a much more complete player and it's hard to imagine Clark has made the same progress playing under 23 football. Listening to the interview Clark doesn't seem to have been offered a guaranteed starting position.  I doubt there is another team in this league with 3 Full backs as good as Clark, Gibbons and Montano on current form.

4 hours ago, JordB31 said:

I thought Clark’s weakness was being caught in behind because positionally he used to push too high and teams played on that. He had a tendency to be caught out at the back post too and if I remember rightly there were a couple of games where he  allowed wingers too much space to come inside to score, the bollockings he got from experienced teammates at Cambridge and also at home to maybe Northampton I think spring to mind. I could be wrong but I also don’t recall him getting an assist or goal either. But he’s clearly a very good player technically, but let’s not get too carried away that he’s the complete package because he isn’t yet. But he definitely has the potential to be. I think as happens many times with are own players we don’t realise what’s under our noses,  I think gibbos been one of yet best full backs in league two so let’s not do down the fact that hes had a really good season this year, one of the most consistent players in the team for me. As it stands both he and Monty have the shirt at the minute, but if I was betting man I’d say Clark could go in at left back long term this season. If that was the case I feel we’d have 2 of the best young prospects in both full back positions in Clark and Gibbons.

35 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Struggle to see why so many appear so keen to replace Monty.  He’s having a great season

Agreed, the point of Clarke is to give cover to the full back positions, maybe change of position for Monty on occasions to foil the opposition? I am always loathe to change a winning team. I do not know the chances of keeping Clarke even if we manage promotion. Clarke may well have improved technically in the  Prem Reserve League, but I assume he has been told he is not a shoe in.

44 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Struggle to see why so many appear so keen to replace Monty.  He’s having a great season

Will be very harsh to see him dropped.

Made a mistake at Mansfield but has been remarkably consistent and durable since; he's played every minute of every game for months.

He offers a great outlet going forward too.

The only reason I can see for Monty being dropped eventually is the oppositions constant bombardments on that side of the pitch and I think it’s vey noticeable that they get behind us on that side of the pitch more often too. Some of that I put down to Montys defensive positioning. He has a tendency to go flying in and get played around, or is caught too far forward. Look at Swindon’s first goal where he’s followed the ball in field and left a massive gap behind. But in the main he has done really well, better than he has on the wing, but I still think we will need a dedicated left back at some point. Right now though I wouldn’t be dropping either full back. The mainstays of our team this season consistency wise have been Brown, Gibbo, Legge, Smith, Joyce and Worrall and I think Monty is steadily falling In to that bracket too. 

Archived