onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

You have to bare in mind that Smurthwaite is still in effect bleeding the club, through his "ransom note" that the Shanahan's were forced to pay to save the club. 

And I honestly don't think we are one or two players off a convincing promotion push. Mostly we have the same team as last year. Who are doing somewhat better. 

Garlick is an administrator, and as such seems to be doing a decent job. At the end of the day if Smithy wants to run down his contract and look at it come June, there is not much Vale can do about it. The club have made it very clear they want him to stay. But there is only so much they can do.

Remember, he was decent in L1. So no doubt he can play higher. I'd be gutted, but so it goes. 

Advert

39 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

My view on this is, I'd rather sign ie. 2 fantastic strikers on 4k a week, than 4 'meh' ones on 1,5k a week. Quality costs money, there's absolutely no way around it! Spend the money on quality, rather than numbers. I feel, that the wage structure we apparently have in place, is somewhat what is holding us back, from signing the better players. Some areas of the pitch, just costs more money to fill than others. Strikers cost more than defenders or goalies. So as long as we won't pay what a prolific striker costs, because they can't earn a few quid more than others, we'll keep signing the Quickleys and Bennetts, rather than those who actually score.

We will have to wait and see what happens in the close season, January is not the time to buy strikers unless we are desperate. Askey will have had a full season to assess the situation and the market, instead of a few weeks with little guidance on the budget and scouting reports.

3 minutes ago, toyahw said:

You have to bare in mind that Smurthwaite is still in effect bleeding the club, through his "ransom note" that the Shanahan's were forced to pay to save the club. 

And I honestly don't think we are one or two players off a convincing promotion push. Mostly we have the same team as last year. Who are doing somewhat better. 

Perspective. I agree.

We don't look at all ready to me.

Doing brilliantly through better organisation, developing players to be more effective. 

Largely getting much more out of the team. Askey's trademark.

Of course everyone wants to do as well as possible. Askey keeps saying so. He's not satisfied either.

But the realistic approach requires a tempering of these desires and ultimately acceptance that we're not quite there yet.

The foundations are still being laid, the stronger they are, the longer the progress will last.

Enjoy the progress, it's there before your very eyes.

You'll be much happier too 😃

7 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Perspective. I agree.

We don't look at all ready to me.

Doing brilliantly through better organisation, developing players to be more effective. 

Largely getting much more out of the team. Askey's trademark.

Of course everyone wants to do as well as possible. Askey keeps saying so. He's not satisfied either.

But the realistic approach requires a tempering of these desires and ultimately acceptance that we're not quite there yet.

The foundations are still being laid, the stronger they are, the longer the progress will last.

Enjoy the progress, it's there before your very eyes.

You'll be much happier too 😃

Wonderful post

2 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

What a silly post. Garlick is doing a steady job and to suggest he is useless, is plain stupid. Askey has already stated that the price of players in this window is way overpriced. What’s the point in paying over the odds for someone who wouldn’t necessarily improve us? The contract situation with the likes of Smith and Gibbo, there is only so much the club can do. At the end of the day, it’s their decision, not ours. We can’t force them to stay. People need to calm down. Yes, we are five points off the play-offs, but realistically we won’t get them. We have overachieved massively this season. It’s come to soon for us. Remember this is a transitional period. Personally, I’d rather not waste money on quantity in January. We can then use it for the quality in the summer. it’s very rare you’d get quality in January. If you don’t believe me, just look at some of Norman’s signings. I’ll take 10th right now. 

Thought this would be the head buried in the sand approach of classic vale fans. Your going on about Norman when he don’t own us and didn’t have £250,000 in the bank from a tie against Man City. We have poor options on the bench which has been proved time and time again this season. To say it’s too early for promotion is absolute garbage talk when Cheltenham and Crewe are sat in the top 7 on smaller budgets. I knew we wouldn’t bring in fresh faces but instead keep flogging the same 15 players virtually all season. We’re garbage away from home that’s the reason we won’t finish top 7 in a season where this is definitely achievable with additional players in correct areas. I’m sorry to stir the pot but I expect a fresh face or two when we got £250,000 from the cup. Another one I will put back at you as well administration at the start of the last season we got promoted so YES when your only 5/6 points off top 7 in January you should be going for it can’t see where we will actually be good enough go for promotion then if it’s not a season where you have only lost one game at home in..... mights as well get ripped off in the summer instead then on player wages because they ain’t changing just getting higher or then your shopping for more Ryan Lloyd’s etc 

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Did you miss Jake Taylor, our top scorer, re-signing?  Why is Garlick to blame for not extending contracts - surely that's a negotiation between the player, his agent and the owners who set the budget? 

Who do you think we should have signed - lets have some names of players who are available, affordable and want to come to Vale?

Yeah seen Jake Taylor signed on loan till end of season and your calling this an additional player ?? Bizarre thoughts there.... and now calling me out about so call players availability when there are more agents than just Phil Sproson out there for a start... we can’t win a game away from home because we have no squad depth literally using about 16 players at best... Garlick as the Chief executive at the club has a lot to do with the runnings of a club as well my friend like recommending to the owners that we need tie down your assets at the club like Nathan Smith. This is where our fan base has got too hasn’t it expect nothing from there club and not compete with Crewe, Forrest Green and Cheltenham all in the top 7...... how far we have fallen is unreal but we managed promotion in a administration season before and now can’t go for it when we’re 5/6 points off top 7 and have an extra £250,000 in the bank... very poor 

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Its a waste of time and effort trying to explain.

People don't want to hear that Askey will only sign someone if they are worth the money required.

People apparently want us to be sustainable, People definitely dont want us to be the next Bury.... But at the same time they want us to overspend now because and gamble on a chance of promotion.... which is what Bury did! But can you tell them that.... nope. So let them keep being disappointed.  

The next Bury because we’re asking for 3/4 more fresh faces in the team 😂😂😂😂 some of these vale fans have banged there heads here..... they are looking at the loan market for a start like Askey said so where is a loan player going put us like Bury then ?? Love this talk from Vale fans always use the doom and gloom to try back up low expectations from there team. Said it at start of season players like Archer, Lloyd, Tricket Smith, Brisley etc weren’t even worth having at the club because they won’t make an impact at all. Only so long Pope will keep dragging this club out the <ovf censored> tho because we can’t find anyone replace him still which again is bizarre.... I might as well bury my head in the sand tho because I thought we threw the towel in on the EFL Trophy for a promotion push didn’t we ??? Or  what I was reading on the wonderful one vale fan from many on here is that we have a chance of promotion this I why it was justified to play a weak team at Salford.... think I’d rather a possible day out at Wembley with a Trophy to follow and a 10th finish than just a 10th on its own because now all of sudden we can’t afford anyone to bring in and push the team forward in the league 😂😂😂 I’ve heard it all now the contradictories on this page are wonderful 

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Ahhhhhh well..... you cant please everyone eh!

Come on then what your masterful plan then...... have a mid table finish and watch the gates go backwards to 4,000 again 👏👏👏

On 26/01/2020 at 13:42, Danish Valiant said:

It has, it really has. 

But I also think, the club is somewhat responsible of that themselves. No signings, weak excuses from Askey on that "we have sufficient cover in all positions", when everyone but him (apparently) can see we haven't. If he's trying to spin it to a positive, he tried and it failed miserable! I do accept that the good players are expensive, but that once again, bring us back to the wage structure. Good players cost money. Even better players, cost even more money. And despite all the Man City and leasing.com trophy money, it seems we're still trying to find players in 'OneBelow', while other clubs our size or below (forget Salford), are signing top players at this level.

And when all of the above are paired with an absolutely insulting performance yesterday, where the team looked more than apathetic, people tend to reach their boiling point. I've only put a question mark by the lack of signings my self, but I feel their pain, I really do! 

And once again I'll say, that I really question how much money we'll actually make from the CHARITY Robbie gig. We'll get some publicity, sure. But money wise? We have to spend A LOT of dosh, finishing the Lorne Street. Maybe even just temporary, which would be absolutely mad in my view, spending hundreds of thousands, to make no money and just take it down again afterwards.

Because the thing with charity gigs are, that all proceeds, goes to those charities. So that would put our net-income from the event, at 0.00 punds. 

I'm absolutely not trying to be negative, although I accept it may look that way. I'm only trying to look at things a bit rational and realistic.  

Who are these top players that other clubs are signing?  Ive only seen journeymen going from club to club.

Personally not very happy with Port Vale FC in this transfer window absolutely nothing coming in whatsoever is a farce... I’m not a bloke that has moaned all season either before the keyboard vale warriors come after me for my opinion but Colin Garlick is useless in the beginning with not sorting out a new deal for one of our best players in Nathan Smith who is out of contract in the summer... ticketing at the City game again useless but I will stop going on about Garlick now because once again we need a player or two to get us over the finish line of which the playoffs are achievable this season and yet again we are 3 days before the end of the window and we have signed........ NOTHING. All this that was said to me after moaning about us going out of the EFL Trophy people saying the league is more important and we have a chance of promotion ?? Very clear with NO signings in January we are going for a mid table finish.... That day out at potential Wembley sounds a bit better now we have thrown the towel in on Top 7.... sorry to moan but I feel we ain’t done what we said we would do and that’s being in fresh faces. We have got nothing pushing Pope for his place up top and nothing pushing Montano in left back nor Gibbons at right back..... yet another poor window 

How do you know he hasn’t tried to get smith on a contract ?

Hi Nathan can we talk about putting you on a new deal ?

Sorry I will wait until the end of the season and then make a decision

Just because he hasn’t signed a new deal doesn’t mean the club hasn’t tried to

If this team got promoted it would need at least 9 players , I’m happy that after a relegation and 2 20th place finishes we can relax and not worry about the abyss of non league

Ben, Jake Taylor is an extra player - he was due back at Forest on 18th January and we had to pay more money to keep him for the second half of the season than we did for the first half.  It would be the easiest thing in the world to sign a big wedge of players like our previous owner did last January but they were a waste of money. I wouldn’t mind betting that Vale have agents coming out of their ears at the moment trying to offload their players but are they any good?  

Let’s say we push the boat out and sign a bloke on a 2 year contract for £50k on £2k a week. That’s the Man City money all gone in one go. It’s a hell of a risk isn’t it?

How many Prem teams have signed players in this window?  Very few because it’s a sellers’ market in January and buyers don’t get value. I’m sure we’re looking at the loan market but even there clubs are asking for a very large percentage of the player’s wages and loan fees. 

Also, neither Forest Green or Cheltenham are in the top 7. Yet Forest Green have a sugar daddy and Cheltenham got £1.5 million for a player not long ago. 

I agree with you about how far we have fallen but has not been under the current owners - it was under the previous bloke who played Football Manager with our club and used it as a cash cow. This season we are looking up but patience is a virtue. Sadly there are some Vale fans who don’t have any. 

1 minute ago, vale victory said:

How do you know he hasn’t tried to get smith on a contract ?

Hi Nathan can we talk about putting you on a new deal ?

Sorry I will wait until the end of the season and then make a decision

Just because he hasn’t signed a new deal doesn’t mean the club hasn’t tried to

If this team got promoted it would need at least 9 players , I’m happy that after a relegation and 2 20th place finishes we can relax and not worry about the abyss of non league

OMG.... another with low expectations when his club has picked up £250,000 three weeks ago and now can’t sign two or three to help a promotion push ?? Bizarre thoughts... especially when’s everybody on here we’re telling me the other week after going out the EFL too Salford that we can get promotion this season so I’d rather go out the cup ?? Told them at the time we won’t sign required players to push us over the line... Another one Crewe and Cheltenham are on lower budgets than us this season and are in the promotion race plus we got promotion last time after being in administration at the start of the season.... did we get relegated the next season?? No finished 9th as a matter of fact... one thing Adams did tho was bring in proven players and didn’t moan over wages... we’re asking for three more players not a whole squad so I’m sure it’s doable but vale just don’t do it 

45 minutes ago, Ben Stevens said:

Your going on about Norman when he don’t own us and didn’t have £250,000 in the bank from a tie against Man City.

No but he's got about 3 million in his back pocket he drained from our club large parts of which the Shanahans have/are having to pay the thieving git. Plus he left a decrepit cess hole of a club behind.

Archived