onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Fair point, but I’d still suggest we need a striker in.  Bennett, Cullen and Archer don’t look like scoring enough to push us on.  Neither does Pope to be fair.

At the end of the day it’s more about building for next season now, so I wouldn’t be breaking the bank for anyone.

If everyone took your final point on board,  we'd have less miserable moaners and a lot more positive supporters who would get behind the club and support it rather than trying to pull it, the manager and the owners apart at every opportunity 

Advert

Slight concerns from me at the present.

Club's in a far better state but we are currently reliant on, largely, our first 11, of which:

Brown, Joyce, Legge, and Pope are well into their mid 30s

Taylor is a loanee and we have little chance of seeing him here after May

Gibbons, Smith, Monty, Worrall, Burgess, and Amoo are out of contract.

So of our first 11, they're either entering an age where they are likely to decline, unlikely to be here this summer, or at risk of going on a free.

None of this is the club's fault; its the hand dealt by years of squad and transfer mismanagement. Just could be a very hectic 6 months ahead.

Lots of people on here, on P&G and social media calling for the club to get Smith signed up asap. But it isn’t going to be as easy as that when he knows there are other clubs interested, in a nutshell we need to show our desire and ambition with the wages offered, that’s what will get him signing IMO. 

12 hours ago, Joe B said:

Slight concerns from me at the present.

Club's in a far better state but we are currently reliant on, largely, our first 11, of which:

Brown, Joyce, Legge, and Pope are well into their mid 30s

Taylor is a loanee and we have little chance of seeing him here after May

Gibbons, Smith, Monty, Worrall, Burgess, and Amoo are out of contract.

So of our first 11, they're either entering an age where they are likely to decline, unlikely to be here this summer, or at risk of going on a free.

None of this is the club's fault; its the hand dealt by years of squad and transfer mismanagement. Just could be a very hectic 6 months ahead.

I've been thinking this for some time.

I agree, there is potentially alot of movement.

Hopefully, we will sign the out of contract players and the older heads will have another season.

It's also what concerns me about levels of expectation.

It's clear that far too many are expecting a promotion push next season.

It may be too early and the moaners will get louder.

Delayed gratification is so out of fashion these days!

I wonder whether it's even a thing anymore.

Very sad.

8 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Too many clowns thinking that there are swathes of top players out there just waiting to be singed by Port Vale. 

😃 Hopefully they won't get singed anymore.

That sounds like the last few years 🙂

No ambition? Missed opportunity? You'd think that we're only a player or two away from being real challengers and a very good team. What utter tripe!  How many players do these people think that we really need to sign to make us genuinely promotion contenders and where are they (in January of all times) are they going to come from?

I'd expect better in the summer, but even then I'm not thinking that we have a divine right to have the best team in the league, given the scale of the overhaul that is required and has seemingly escaped too many people's radar 

This too is my long term observation,  not based on a couple of wins or defeats  God help the club if we're only bang average for another season, because too many folk on OVF will go in to complete meltdown 

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

The mood seems to significantly changed in the last few days on social media.

I really do dislike some elements of our fanbase at times. The entitled, reactionary, hyper-critical elements.

It has, it really has. 

But I also think, the club is somewhat responsible of that themselves. No signings, weak excuses from Askey on that "we have sufficient cover in all positions", when everyone but him (apparently) can see we haven't. If he's trying to spin it to a positive, he tried and it failed miserable! I do accept that the good players are expensive, but that once again, bring us back to the wage structure. Good players cost money. Even better players, cost even more money. And despite all the Man City and leasing.com trophy money, it seems we're still trying to find players in 'OneBelow', while other clubs our size or below (forget Salford), are signing top players at this level.

And when all of the above are paired with an absolutely insulting performance yesterday, where the team looked more than apathetic, people tend to reach their boiling point. I've only put a question mark by the lack of signings my self, but I feel their pain, I really do! 

And once again I'll say, that I really question how much money we'll actually make from the CHARITY Robbie gig. We'll get some publicity, sure. But money wise? We have to spend A LOT of dosh, finishing the Lorne Street. Maybe even just temporary, which would be absolutely mad in my view, spending hundreds of thousands, to make no money and just take it down again afterwards.

Because the thing with charity gigs are, that all proceeds, goes to those charities. So that would put our net-income from the event, at 0.00 punds. 

I'm absolutely not trying to be negative, although I accept it may look that way. I'm only trying to look at things a bit rational and realistic.  

7 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

It has, it really has. 

But I also think, the club is somewhat responsible of that themselves. No signings, weak excuses from Askey on that "we have sufficient cover in all positions", when everyone but him (apparently) can see we haven't. If he's trying to spin it to a positive, he tried and it failed miserable! I do accept that the good players are expensive, but that once again, bring us back to the wage structure. Good players cost money. Even better players, cost even more money. And despite all the Man City and leasing.com trophy money, it seems we're still trying to find players in 'OneBelow', while other clubs our size or below (forget Salford), are signing top players at this level.

And when all of the above are paired with an absolutely insulting performance yesterday, where the team looked more than apathetic, people tend to reach their boiling point. I've only put a question mark by the lack of signings my self, but I feel their pain, I really do! 

And once again I'll say, that I really question how much money we'll actually make from the CHARITY Robbie gig. We'll get some publicity, sure. But money wise? We have to spend A LOT of dosh, finishing the Lorne Street. Maybe even just temporary, which would be absolutely mad in my view, spending hundreds of thousands, to make no money and just take it down again afterwards.

Because the thing with charity gigs are, that all proceeds, goes to those charities. So that would put our net-income from the event, at 0.00 punds. 

I'm absolutely not trying to be negative, although I accept it may look that way. I'm only trying to look at things a bit rational and realistic.  

Football and the Vale are great and all but the Donna Louise need that money more than us, mate.

2 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

It has, it really has. 

I don’t know if we get to keep the profit from food and drink sales, if so that could earn us a few quid, other than that,I agree we won’t make any money from it.

2 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

It has, it really has. 

Where has it ever been suggested, other than in the heads of some fans, that the Robbie concert will make the club a big proft???

3 hours ago, Old fort said:

No ambition? Missed opportunity? You'd think that we're only a player or two away from being real challengers and a very good team. What utter tripe!  How many players do these people think that we really need to sign to make us genuinely promotion contenders and where are they (in January of all times) are they going to come from?

I'd expect better in the summer, but even then I'm not thinking that we have a divine right to have the best team in the league, given the scale of the overhaul that is required and has seemingly escaped too many people's radar 

This too is my long term observation,  not based on a couple of wins or defeats  God help the club if we're only bang average for another season, because too many folk on OVF will go in to complete meltdown 

Agreed.

The summer is going to be very difficult if we need 10+ new players.

This january, by default, is the best january transfer window we've had for a few years, and given our post xmas form in the same time period then we've done brilliantly in 2020 by comparison.

I don't get where this entitlement comes from. I don't get it when it comes from Man Utd fans but at least they've been the best team in the country over the last 30 years! How Vale fans have got this having never really tasted success and being 20 years past our peak I do not know.

We've just got to trust Askey and his staff.

7 hours ago, Joe B said:

The mood seems to significantly changed in the last few days on social media.

I really do dislike some elements of our fanbase at times. The entitled, reactionary, hyper-critical elements.

I am beginning to despair with so called Vale fans, I get the feeling the vultures are circling around the club, not happy with the marked improvement this season both on and off the pitch, there are some who are moaning about the lack of spending money in this window,moaning that the club will make nothing out of the Robbie Charity concert.

Just consider this ...... Last January, we had no hope,no plan and no future, if the Shanahans had not turned up and paid way over the odds the club,you wouldn't have a club to criticise, I should imagine they have a better handle as to what can be spent and what can't,more of an idea than those who (Think) they know,more of an idea about the clubs finances that will allow us to be solvent for the future and don't forget they still have to pay is it 250k a year? to Smurthwaite (Not a small sum to be found ) 

if Askey had'nt turned our fortunes round and put us in a very outside chance of the play offs they wouldn't have had anything to moan about he's being hammered by some for stabilising the team and giving us a better standard than for years,remind me how many home games did we lose last season ?

There is no doubt the vultures are circling and I for one find it disgusting,the Shanahans and Askey deserve and should demand our support.

Archived