onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Not commenting on it either way, but just noticed that some of the more 'vocal' elements of our fanbase are getting a bit antsy on social media regarding the lack of movement by us.

I'm content in that I trust the people making the key decisions these days, but its just a trend I have noticed recently.

I blame  the games FIFA and their ilk. The Premier League and telly (Danny Baker made a good point that Lower League was just as good as average Premier)

Also that there is  some proper spoilt brats out their who cry if they don’t get their way ( in their 30s)

Finally you can’t rule them out being half wits

Advert

9 hours ago, Mario said:

Iv'e deleted some of the accounts,but you have to wonder about the British education system when you read some of the comments,one puts up an axe chopping a lump of wood every time we lose, with the name Askey underneath alluding to Askey should get the chop because we have lost, what I found absolutely disgusting and unforgivable was after the Morcambe game the  axe appeared with the name Carol underneath, now I have looked for this since and can't find it, so I sincerely  hope it's been removed, I know that some of the posters are children and don't understand, but really, what have we come too ?

Didn’t take long did it,Mario?Vale have some of the best and worst fans going.I suppose it would be silly of me to request that they look at the League 2 table.How many points off automatic promotion are we?The manager  not playing their system is always the classic.These people will never be satisfied.

I am lost for words how people can slate Askey tbh,you look where we have been over the last few seasons and where we are now,lost 7 league games so far(we never thought that would pan out after last season),will we lose more? of course we will but finish around 10th would be a massive improvement... I just think some people like the attention.

As for the owners.....unbelievable what goes through some peoples heads,we have OUR club back,money goes back into the club,people want to invest again,RW concert and doing better on and off the pitch.

Transfers.. yes we would all love see them but we have to trust Askey with the money,he didn't do a bad job at Macc with little to spend,yes we have had a few duffers but he hasn't done bad here either,i think some will come in and go out next week so lets just go with it.

Finally I think most of the sensible ones realised that next season will be the one where we could give the play offs ago BUT we aren't out of it this season either and who would of thought that come the end of January after last few season.

I won't name any names but the individuals on Twitter are those who literally moan about anything.

I think the most rational fans are the majority; would like one or two signings but trust the people running the club to know what they're doing.

If Pope gets a lengthier ban we'll have no choice but to sign a striker.

The most urgent priority is contracts; I don't fear losing anyone bar Worrall and Gibbons but decisions have got to be made as to who we are retaining so we can plan for the summer.

I expect a couple of bids might come in for Smith next week and I guess the fear is we will have to accept one or get less in the summer,all will depend on how the club think contract talks are going... he would be a big loss BUT on a plus side all the money we know will go back into the club and we will move on,we have some good youngsters coming through as well,the left back out on loan and the lad who played centre half in the reserves the other day Lake? in the future we trust

Two areas of (mild) concern are currently: 

What happens if the Smith situation does escalate during the next week? Are there contingencies in place?

Are we short of cover in the centre forward position if certain players are indisposed?

It would be nice to freshen one or two things up if we can, after a good few months since the takeover it would be a shame if the season peters out.

2 minutes ago, Santa said:

Are we short of cover in the centre forward position if certain players are indisposed?

We’re definitely short of cover up front, at least for a month while Archer is away. Pope potentially faces a further ban, leaving just Cullen and Bennett.  I’m sure we’ll be looking to recruit in that area.  Whether, or not, it happens though is another matter.

5 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We’re definitely short of cover up front, at least for a month while Archer is away. Pope potentially faces a further ban, leaving just Cullen and Bennett.  I’m sure we’ll be looking to recruit in that area.  Whether, or not, it happens though is another matter.

It's not a month after this weekend it's a couple of weeks. I'm sure they'll take someone if there is a decent forward available. If not Archer will get recalled and be in a better position for having played a few games. Assuming Pope can still play on Tuesday I think it's 2 matches when we are down to just Cullen and Bennett.

5 hours ago, JRC said:

It's not a month after this weekend it's a couple of weeks. I'm sure they'll take someone if there is a decent forward available. If not Archer will get recalled and be in a better position for having played a few games. Assuming Pope can still play on Tuesday I think it's 2 matches when we are down to just Cullen and Bennett.

Fair point, but I’d still suggest we need a striker in.  Bennett, Cullen and Archer don’t look like scoring enough to push us on.  Neither does Pope to be fair.

At the end of the day it’s more about building for next season now, so I wouldn’t be breaking the bank for anyone.

22 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Fair point, but I’d still suggest we need a striker in.  Bennett, Cullen and Archer don’t look like scoring enough to push us on.  Neither does Pope to be fair.

At the end of the day it’s more about building for next season now, so I wouldn’t be breaking the bank for anyone.

The side is 3 or 4 players short of a decent play-off side. Outside chance we could sneak 7th but when playing well sides above us are slicker with the ball. I think the reality is it's all been about next season since Christmas. Our squad is a reasonably solid one at this level but that little bit of x factor is missing throughout. 

One area I think we do need to look at is defensive midfield, if we are going to carry on playing 433. I like Joyce and he's been important in the progress from last season. He isn't that good a spotting forward passes or delivering accurately. He's 33 at the end of the season and he's made a career out of being a mid table league 2 holding midfield player. I'd be happy to see him in the squad but it's such an important position in Askey's preferred formation I just think we need someone who dictates the tempo of a game better.

Hopefully today's shown JA and Carol that:

1) signing Smith up is an absolute must.

2) if they have any interest in making a move this year we need to invest in Jan. I fear we may have left it to late now.

3) we need to strengthen our scouting team if we are holding all this cash till summer. I don't want another summer of "improving the squad" by signing the likes of Evans, Kennedy, Brisley, Lloyd, Bennett, Cullen et Al. Outside of Burgess and Amoo it's been woeful recruitment of lads who don't look able to step up when needed (Brisley stood staring for two of today's goals being a prime example)

Archived