onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

Advert

37 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Do you hold that against him for moving on when he had the chance? I don’t.

Absolutely not I spend my life chasing pay cheques all over the globe; I'm 30 miles from Basra tonight and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the money. My favourite summariser who reminds me of my 5 year old son who has a similar ability to say the first thing that comes into his head. If Birmingham are monitoring Smith then 200 a week isn't going to resolve his future in the same way it wouldnt have kept Birchall at Vale Park. I 100% have have no problem with anyone doing what they can to safeguard their family and personal future.

25 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

On more money so he’s probably costing Vale more than for the last six months. 

We have had the benefit of his performances, and now we are paying for them, but without him we would not be where we are. The risk and benefit of the loan system, or as in the past a bunch of lads hardly kicking  a ball.  We either improve them out of our reach, otherwise we know whether or not they are worth signing..

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

On more money so he’s probably costing Vale more than for the last six months. 

The article in the Sentinel appears to confirm, “....Forest who let Vale have Taylor for a relatively low wage contribution before increasing that after he impressed in his half-season loan.”

1 hour ago, CAVALIER said:

The fact that we may have a brand new team in the summer alarms me a little. We know this side is just short of a play off team so why not give it a bit of a go? Next year's may not be as good.

It’s the nature of modern day lower league football, certainly post Bosman and since the rise of the Premier League Academy system.  Squads are annually churned.  Better players move for better wages whilst poorer players are released.  It seems that more players are signed on 12 month, or short term, deals than in the past.

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Forest were not likely to let his contract run out if there are clubs interested, whether or not they see a future for him at Forest.

Given his performances for Vale,  a loan 'til the end of the season is about as good as we could have got, Forest are hedging their bets by extending his deal with them for another year 

I'd resign the majority of players who've played in the 1st team or been involved in the 1st team squad this season, there's a great nucleus of players there to build upon next season. Vale don't want to be looking to sign 10+ players in the summer, we need consistency.

2 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

The fact that we may have a brand new team in the summer alarms me a little. We know this side is just short of a play off team so why not give it a bit of a go? Next year's may not be as good.

I wouldn’t worry yourself about it too much

I’m struggling to think of a player that Askey wanted to keep last year that he failed to do so?

I just can’t imagine a scenario where every one of our out of contract players don’t renew.

Some will, some won’t... Askeys job is to deal with that, like every other manager in league 2, which is a league rife with high turnover.

When did he say that? I heard him say that “negotiations” weren’t going well and that Birmingham were monitoring the situation. But missed the “few hundred quid” comment.
As an aside it stunk of Birchall trying to help his mate get a better deal via some unprofessional comments.
Couldn't tell you the exact minute, but either late on during half time or early second half.

Fundamental thing to remember is these same players we're now lauding were consecutive relegation scrappers.

Good coaching has improved them as a unit. A rebuild wouldn't be ideal but if we do have to go out and sign a few, all but Worrall are replaceable at this level for realistic prices, and he has actively and publicly stated he wants to stay.

Smith's a good centre half but definitely there is equivalent quality out there; maybe not from Madeley or 23 years old, but we got promoted from this league with Clayton McDonald a defensive lynchpin for half of a season, and Liam Chilvers seeing us over the line (I rated them both, but they were hardly anything more than bog standard League 2).

We'll be sound. Competent people in charge, these days.

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Fundamental thing to remember is these same players we're now lauding were consecutive relegation scrappers.

Good coaching has improved them as a unit. A rebuild wouldn't be ideal but if we do have to go out and sign a few, all but Worrall are replaceable at this level for realistic prices, and he has actively and publicly stated he wants to stay.

Smith's a good centre half but definitely there is equivalent quality out there; maybe not from Madeley or 23 years old, but we got promoted from this league with Clayton McDonald a defensive lynchpin for half of a season, and Liam Chilvers seeing us over the line (I rated them both, but they were hardly anything more than bog standard League 2).

We'll be sound. Competent people in charge, these days.

Could not agree more.

52 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
5 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:
When did he say that? I heard him say that “negotiations” weren’t going well and that Birmingham were monitoring the situation. But missed the “few hundred quid” comment.
As an aside it stunk of Birchall trying to help his mate get a better deal via some unprofessional comments.

Couldn't tell you the exact minute, but either late on during half time or early second half.

I heard him say something along the lines of "A few hundred quid" I forget who was doing the commentary was it Blakeman? he commented that it was a ridiculous situation for the club to get into and it should have been sorted out months ago.

Its a funny situation at the Vale, Denis Smith for Stoke wont say a word against them because he's on the pay roll at Stoke as an ambassador or Peter Morse at Crewe who does every game and wont offend the hierarchy in any way shape or form and then we get Ray Williams Phil Sproson and Chris Birchall who seem to have an axe to grind in one way or another against the Port Vale.

Archived