onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

5 hours ago, Walka003 said:
5 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:
What if "What he deserves" is £5,000 - £6,000 a week which he could reasonably get at Birmingham?

Birchall said on the radio that we were stubbing over "a few hundred quid". If that's right we are mad to haggle with a player of his quality

When did he say that? I heard him say that “negotiations” weren’t going well and that Birmingham were monitoring the situation. But missed the “few hundred quid” comment.

As an aside it stunk of Birchall trying to help his mate get a better deal via some unprofessional comments.

Advert

35 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Taylor loan extended, clubs wanting astronomical fees for loan players. I’d say we’ve done our business so let’s shut up shop and concentrate on the players we have out of contract. It would be good if Nathan became our modern day Roy Sproson, however the game and life have evolved immensely since then. Perhaps the promise of a statue of him outside the ground when he retires might just swing an extension deal.

He would have to improve a vast amount to even be anywhere near as good as Roy Sproson was i think a bit of reality needed.

57 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Taylor loan extended, clubs wanting astronomical fees for loan players. I’d say we’ve done our business so let’s shut up shop and concentrate on the players we have out of contract. It would be good if Nathan became our modern day Roy Sproson, however the game and life have evolved immensely since then. Perhaps the promise of a statue of him outside the ground when he retires might just swing an extension deal.

The days of Vale and Liverpool players on the same wages have long gone.

5 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

The days of Vale and Liverpool players on the same wages have long gone.

Sadly so have the days of Vale players getting more than Liverpool apprentices which is where our predicament over loan signings lies.

9 hours ago, PV1973 said:

If it were me in that situation I’d love to be able to make a long term career for myself at my hometown club. What better way to get recognition than in your hometown? ....But then again I suppose it all on depends on the club coming in for a player, it could be good an offer to turn down. 

The agent will be telling Smudger to hang on and wait for other offers,then both could benefit.

There's nothing to lose for them.

3 hours ago, JRC said:

I heard him make the comment on iPlayer and it didn't seem that well informed. Bottom line is next year the budget will be increased from about 1.5 million to maybe 1.8. Realistically the club can stretch to 2k a week for a few players. That's about the limit with employee NI and pension contributions.  There comes a point where it goes far enough and the extra 200 a week is too much. You would hope what they end up with as a final offer would put him on a par with the top earners. If he doesn't sign that's the limit of what we can afford and good wishes to the lad for what he has done.

Yeh there was some tongue in cheek in the comment I posted but if memory serves me right the whole iFollow conversation started with something like "Nathan Smith wants to stay at Port Vale, so why hasn't his contract already been sorted",  If this comment is true then I would expect he would stay if offered a contract he considers reasonable or unless another club came in with an offer he couldn't refuse..

8 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Yeh there was some tongue in cheek in the comment I posted but if memory serves me right the whole iFollow conversation started with something like "Nathan Smith wants to stay at Port Vale, so why hasn't his contract already been sorted",  If this comment is true then I would expect he would stay if offered a contract he considers reasonable or unless another club came in with an offer he couldn't refuse..

It was all a little bizarre - no Birmingham bid but they are watching him. Then suddenly Birchall decides a couple of hundred quid a week would solve the problem and Smith wants to spend his whole life in Madeley. A little like Chris Birchall wanted to spend his whole life in Stafford .... or was that Coventry, L.A. and Ohio when the chance to make big bucks came along.

3 minutes ago, JRC said:

It was all a little bizarre - no Birmingham bid but they are watching him. Then suddenly Birchall decides a couple of hundred quid a week would solve the problem and Smith wants to spend his whole life in Madeley. A little like Chris Birchall wanted to spend his whole life in Stafford .... or was that Coventry, L.A. and Ohio when the chance to make big bucks came along.

Do you hold that against him for moving on when he had the chance? I don’t.

30 minutes ago, JRC said:

He may well want to spend his life in Madeley but within a 50 mile commute there are quite a few clubs, clubs that can easily outbid the Vale just for a stand by player. It is also a job with the chance of setting himself up for life.

Archived