onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

Advert

9 hours ago, Wrex said:

Smith has played around 200 games for us and has been a near ever-present since he broke into the team. It's not like we've stood by him through serious injuries or controversial times.

I really hope he stays but if he does leave for a higher level club then that can only be a lesson to not let our best young players enter the last year of their contract.

The question is does Smith gamble and move to a struggling Birmingham team who could probably be in Div 1 next season or stay at Vale where he gets his place every week and could possibly be be in Div 1 next season.Smith would have to prove himself all over again and could possibly spend next season warming the bench at Brum.

He May be happy to sign a 2 or 3 year deal at Vale where he can see a regular starting place and a chance to move to a higher level if a decent offer was made. The club and fans support him and call him one of our own.

So many players move to bigger clubs to end up being loaned out to lower teams when they can’t get in the team and clubs like Brum just sign players to gamble that one of them makes the first team.

Probably the only fan who would be happy to see the back of Smith would be VFIA who constantly moans about Smith being in the team.

Really Vale should be talking to players they want to stay now rather than waiting for their contracts to run out.

Smith seems to be a sensible down to earth person who will weigh up his chances off playing regularly if he moves.

The problem is greedy agents only get paid extra money if they can move players on

5 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

The question is does Smith gamble and move to a struggling Birmingham team who could probably be in Div 1 next season or stay at Vale where he gets his place every week and could possibly be be in Div 1 next season.Smith would have to prove himself all over again and could possibly spend next season warming the bench at Brum.

He May be happy to sign a 2 or 3 year deal at Vale where he can see a regular starting place and a chance to move to a higher level if a decent offer was made. The club and fans support him and call him one of our own.

So many players move to bigger clubs to end up being loaned out to lower teams when they can’t get in the team and clubs like Brum just sign players to gamble that one of them makes the first team.

Probably the only fan who would be happy to see the back of Smith would be VFIA who constantly moans about Smith being in the team.

Really Vale should be talking to players they want to stay now rather than waiting for their contracts to run out.

Smith seems to be a sensible down to earth person who will weigh up his chances off playing regularly if he moves.

The problem is greedy agents only get paid extra money if they can move players on

Why are you blaming agents? Do you think players only listen to an agents advice without having any thoughts themselves on what they want to do.  Every footballer should want to play as high as they possibly can. if a club higher up comed in for them then its got to be considered because it could be a chance you don’t want to let slip by. Whether it works out or not is another thing. 

36 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Why are you blaming agents? Do you think players only listen to an agents advice without having any thoughts themselves on what they want to do.  Every footballer should want to play as high as they possibly can. if a club higher up comed in for them then its got to be considered because it could be a chance you don’t want to let slip by. Whether it works out or not is another thing. 

Remember what happened with McPhee..

I like Smith but I find talk of him going to a fairly sizeable Championship club in Birmingham surprising.

He's a good League 2 centre back, reliant and dependable, understands the game and loves a scrap, but; he's undersized, not physically outstanding, not a great deal of pace, and despite improvements, still fairly mediocre on the ball. He needs an aerially dominant partner to thrive.

He could cut it in League 1 but I'd be shocked if he went to a Championship club. The Brum rumour came from a Twitter account with about 3 followers. I read something about Birmingham confirming they were 'monitoring him' but where did that come from? At most, I imagine most English clubs will be monitoring a 23 year old with 200 appearances playing well, who is soon to be out of contract.

Just not a fan of all this. Feels like the club's being played (not by Smith, I hasten to add). Birchall with his 'I'm in the know, I'm going to be vague, but give Smithy the money' business on the radio. Would hate this to become a soap opera between now and the summer.

14 hours ago, PV1973 said:

With both these players i hope they aren’t treated like someone in the real world who’s come though as a graduate, trainee or an apprentice where they usually are the lowest paid workers and are seen as an easy option to not pay what the going rate is (whatever that rate may be in league 2).

As already mentioned if someone comes in for Gibbo then they would have to pay compensation because of his age and I’m sure,  (not quite 100% though), that compensation would also take into account any new contract offer we may have made him as well, again because of his age. 

You may well have hit the nail firmly on the head

51 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I like Smith but I find talk of him going to a fairly sizeable Championship club in Birmingham surprising.

He's a good League 2 centre back, reliant and dependable, understands the game and loves a scrap, but; he's undersized, not physically outstanding, not a great deal of pace, and despite improvements, still fairly mediocre on the ball. He needs an aerially dominant partner to thrive.

For someone who is "undersized" he wins a hell of a lot in the air against oversized blokes.

I sincerely hope that the Shanahans keep a steady hand on the tiller and use common sense when handing out contracts, the

stability of the club on and off the pitch is more important than handing out deals we might not be able to afford.

Slow steady progress is the order of the day, we all know what happens when you run out of funds at a football club, we are very 

lucky to have Carol and Kevin, I sense a little unrest on some social media platforms because of the lack of action in this transfer

window, it is important to trust our owners, it's not a cheap hobby running a football club

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

For someone who is "undersized" he wins a hell of a lot in the air against oversized blokes.

He does but that doesn't change the fact he's around 6 foot, and winning headers against the farmers this League employs is scant preparation for Mitrovic and Grabban hurling themselves at you.

He's a good player but not Championship quality.

58 minutes ago, Joe B said:

He could cut it in League 1 but I'd be shocked if he went to a Championship club. The Brum rumour came from a Twitter account with about 3 followers. I read something about Birmingham confirming they were 'monitoring him' but where did that come from? At most, I imagine most English clubs will be monitoring a 23 year old with 200 appearances playing well, who is soon to be out of contract.

Just not a fan of all this. Feels like the club's being played (not by Smith, I hasten to add). Birchall with his 'I'm in the know, I'm going to be vague, but give Smithy the money' business on the radio. Would hate this to become a soap opera between now and the summer.

Agree with you here. A gamble worth taking in league 1.  Not sure about championship.

A player with 200 apps and only 23 and playing well in a club on the up has to be looked at but i would be very surprised at this.

Agents have to do a good job at this stage of the season and of his contract.

Its i  the agents best interest as much as anything else

Just give Smithy a break. He's put in a shift for us, he has to make his way in life. Smithy please stay. I've got you on the back of my Vale shirt man.

But if you get a better offer, fair enough. And he has mostly been slagged off here, he owes Vale nothing now. 

But please stay Smudge. You make me look tidy and hansome. You know it makes sense. You are loved here man.

What did all this debate start on the back of? I think I missed a bit.

The lad's been excellent for us. We should do what we reasonably can to try to keep him, but he has to put himself first and if he leaves then good luck to him. There isn't anything more to it than that.

Archived